Topic
24 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-01T05:38:10Z by SystemAdmin
BenKus
BenKus
1800 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Trying out some new BigFix products outside of work?

‏2010-05-14T17:57:53Z |
Hey guys,

This question came up a few times recently...

Remember that if you want to start up a "personal deployment" for BigFix, our current policy allows you to have a limited license for free: http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=566

I hear a lot of BigFix Admins say that they like this program a lot because:
  • It works great to manage their own computers and help their friends/family computers (generally they open a port in their home firewall).
  • you can gain some good BigFix experience in a low-cost-of-failure BigFix deployment.
  • you can try out some new products that we offer even if your company hasn't adopted them.

I have been running a personal deployment for years on about 30 of my friends/family computer and it helps me a lot when I want to help my friends/family or when I want to have good data set of computers in my BigFix deployment.

Ben
Updated on 2013-02-01T05:38:10Z at 2013-02-01T05:38:10Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2038 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Trying out some new BigFix products outside of work?

‏2010-06-23T04:07:48Z  in response to BenKus
    This is an excelent resource. Thanks Ben for the post!!! I'll be sure to refer people here if they want a small test bed for their own use.
  • Supanono91
    Supanono91
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-13T16:17:48Z  in response to BenKus
    Hi,

I sent a request for using BigFix at home coz i like it but i never receive any reply from your services :'(
    Maybe my email got lost in the air.

Thanks in advance :)
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-14T18:56:31Z  in response to BenKus
    Hello,

They can't seem to find your request (at least not based on your forum email). Please resend it.

Ben
  • Supanono91
    Supanono91
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-15T20:08:42Z  in response to BenKus
    I sent it today :)
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    50 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-17T14:39:00Z  in response to BenKus
    How long does this generally take? I submitted a request for a personal license about 3-4 days ago and have yet to receive an email.

Thanks!
  • Tingram91
    Tingram91
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-20T17:26:40Z  in response to BenKus
    I got mine after about a week
  • Supanono91
    Supanono91
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-26T15:34:33Z  in response to BenKus
    Update of the request ? I still didn't receive mine :(
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    50 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-26T17:32:52Z  in response to BenKus
    Me neither....
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-27T05:09:39Z  in response to BenKus
    I am checking with the licensing team...
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-27T18:05:11Z  in response to BenKus
    Looks like they found some requests in the spam filters, you should receive responses shortly..

Thanks,
    Ben
  • cburfordjr91
    cburfordjr91
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-04T18:39:48Z  in response to BenKus
    I love having my personal license for all my computers at home, but I was wondering, since IBM took over, are they still planning on offering this free license to users? Mine is going to need renewal in a couple of months and I really don't want to lose it. Has anyone heard if IBM plans to keep this option around?

Thanks
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-04T23:23:24Z  in response to BenKus
    The best I can say is that we are technically part of IBM now and the policy is still in place and I haven't heard about any plans to change it. But I suppose things could change...

Ben
  • peterd91
    peterd91
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-09T18:57:21Z  in response to BenKus
    Hello,

I see others complained it takes too long to get this license. I requested mine couple of weeks ago and still no response. Can you please update KB566 to indicate the approximate wait time. It would also be nice to at least receive an automatic confirmation that our request has been received. Mine may be as well sitting somewhere in your spam filters ..

In the today's IT world, we all are used to obtaining trial accounts in just moments. I almost forgot I had requested this one from BigFix. If we didn’t use the product at work, and not already convinced it is a top class, I would have probably gone to a competitor already.

Thanks.
    Peter
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-09T23:51:15Z  in response to BenKus
    Thanks, Peter...

This is supposed to be a friendly program to help non-profits and allow people to use BigFix for personal use. You can get an immediate eval version at http://www.bigfix.com/content/download-bigfix-30-day-free-trial but it will only last for 30 days.

There is not supposed to be a long delay, but someone at BigFix needs to process the request so it should usually be handled in a day or two. I will ask them if they can see your license somewhere.

Ben
  • peterd91
    peterd91
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-10T16:05:51Z  in response to BenKus
    Thanks, Ben.

This forum rocks! Got my personal BigFix license only couple of hours after I posted my message above.

Thanks again BigFix! Wish you keep this personal license program around for all of us. It's much more easier getting experience with BigFix on a non-production platform, but the eval version is only 30 days and I don’t think it's renewable.. So, this 1-year renewable personal license is really cool.

I now plan to patch the computers of my family relatives in Europe from the opposite side of the planet. I will be as well getting experience with the latest version of BigFix, as we haven’t upgraded at work yet.

Cheers,
    Peter
  • russwm91
    russwm91
    29 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-14T01:29:26Z  in response to BenKus
    Hello,

I send out my request will full information to get access to personal version of 7.2 or 8.0 would like both. I send this on the Dec 8 and haven't received any confirmation that some one is going to provide this to me. I contacted my Sales rep and he was told to make sure I send my info to licensing@bigfix.com. Could some one who monitors this forum please get me my personal copy I use this for on-going training and learning new ways to use the product.

Thanks,

Russ
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    76 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-14T02:19:06Z  in response to BenKus
    Russ,

You should expect this to be turned around within a day or 2. Otherwise, there must be a snag somewhere.
    Would you mind sending the email to me, and I will walk it through the system for you.

Lee Wei
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2038 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-09T22:58:44Z  in response to BenKus
    Is this still available? I'm interested in covering my parents and other family PCs with BigFix/TEM. I tried emailing the old licensing@bigfix.com but the address bounced back
  • MattBoyd
    MattBoyd
    143 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-09T23:21:24Z  in response to BenKus
    I was wondering about this too... has this changed since BigFix became part of IBM?
    Updated on 2011-05-09T23:21:24Z at 2011-05-09T23:21:24Z by MattBoyd
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-12T02:07:29Z  in response to BenKus
    Email address changed: ibmtemlicensing@lotus.com

We need to re-evaluate whether this program will continue at IBM (it might become part of another similar program at IBM)... I would suggest if you want a personal license, you ask for it soon just-in-case...

Ben
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2038 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-12T13:26:37Z  in response to BenKus
    Just put my request in! Thanks for the possible EOL heads up Ben.

John
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    1800 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-31T20:02:26Z  in response to BenKus
    This program has now ended... Sorry... it is fun for the few years while it lasted...

In its place, I think there is a not-too-hard way to buy a very small amount of licenses (like <$10) to play with... We are still working out the details...

Ben
  • NoahSalzman
    NoahSalzman
    217 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-31T22:09:07Z  in response to BenKus
    As some added background: we have a new license system that went into place last month. It ties all licenses to accounts that exist in IBM procurement systems. This aspect of the system makes it very difficult/impractical to deal with one-off personal licenses.

That said, if you are a BigFix admin and your company doesn't mind having your "lab / home / test" license associated with their account, then we can probably make an accommodation.

Noah Salzman
    TEM / BigFix Product Manager
    & TEM / BigFix Licensing Lackey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2038 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T05:38:10Z  in response to BenKus
    Has anything changed regarding the purchase of a small number of licenses (~10) for home / non-corporate use?