Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-12-09T10:34:43Z by DaveyC
larryh77
larryh77
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic need C++ compiler for Windows7

‏2011-12-08T08:35:15Z |
seems easy, right? Just google C++ compilers. I've gone through plenty of tries including Digital Mars, C++ Visual Studio, DevC. Can you please supply a link to a different compiler that I can use from the DOS prompt in Windows 7?
Updated on 2011-12-09T10:34:43Z at 2011-12-09T10:34:43Z by DaveyC
  • DaveyC
    DaveyC
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: need C++ compiler for Windows7

‏2011-12-08T10:54:59Z  in response to larryh77
    HoHoHo it is the silly season! This forum is for IBM enterprise C/C++ compilers. If you want to use the shell with any of those compilers you listed then
    find out the name of the executable and invoke it! Make sure your PATH environment variable is set to include the bin directory. Cygwin also has gcc which is
    free.

David Crayford
  • Frank_O_Myers@IBM
    Frank_O_Myers@IBM
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-08T12:36:22Z  in response to larryh77
    Larry,

Years ago, while working on a contract for a small company, I had the same need.
    I found that Cygwin (a "Unix" like shell environment) installed on MS Windows allowed me to run the GCC Compiler suite (C/C++,Fortran,Cobol,etc.).
    GCC is reasonably (but not completely) compatible (at a source construct level) with IBM XLC compilers.
    It's free to run (and therefore attractive for underfunded projects), but also only supported by volunteers (you get what you pay for :-).

Good luck.

Frank
    • DaveyC
      DaveyC
      51 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-09T10:34:43Z  in response to Frank_O_Myers@IBM
      Frank, well of course you do always get what you pay for! But with GCC most of the "volunteers" actually work for corporations
      and are sponsored with huge resources to make it as good (if not better) than any enterprise compiler. Can you can say z/Linux?
      Not to mention that you cross compile. Which I would love to do for z/OS! And that's for speed reasons not to bring down my MSU charge
      as I work for a vendor.

David Crayford