• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-11-28T16:32:13Z by SteveKinder
3 Posts

Pinned topic SCA, Websphere ESB, Websphere Message Broker

‏2011-11-24T09:41:55Z |

The company I work for is currently introducing SOA based on a full IBM Websphere stack. We have a mixture of applications using COBOL, J2EE (on Jboss), C# etc. We have bought/in the process of buying Websphere Application Server, Message Broker, WSRR, Process Server etc.

The issue that I am currently battling with is where SCA fits in this architecture. I initially proposed SCA as a wrapper over our current EJB 3.1 beans and COBOL services i.e we will hook up composite services via SCA.

The message I got from the Message Broker implementer (IBM business partner) is that we will be replicating what the message broker does i.e. "they use nodes in Message Broker to do the wiring of services". Hence there is no need for us to implement SCA as the Broker does everything we want to do with SCA. We will also getting Integration Designer and I understand that also uses SCA?

I don't agree with the implementer that an SCA assembly is the same functionality that Message Broker and for that matter an ESB gives. My understanding is that Process Server is for service orchestration, Message Broker/ESB is for service integration/mediation, and SCA is used for service composition.

I have been trawling the IBM website trying to find a complete picture of all the Webshpere products and how they fit into a SOA, and where SCA fits into it.
Updated on 2011-11-28T16:32:13Z at 2011-11-28T16:32:13Z by SteveKinder
  • SteveKinder
    14 Posts

Re: SCA, Websphere ESB, Websphere Message Broker

Sort of a broad question. I can answer part of this by pointing you to a couple of whitepapers:

1) SOA Foundation
    2) Software Components: Coarse-Grained versus fine-grained

Each of the products that represent the key infrastructure in the SOA Foundation have their own technology focus, and they leverage SCA in different ways. For example, WebSphere Application Server focuses on application composition and leverages SCA as a primary programming model for doing so. WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus leverages SCA as well, however it more used as the mechanism for implementing virtual service facades and protocol and data mediations -- although certainly you can poke down into SCA if you need to or want to. The tool set for the products have a different focus and the roles of the programmers which use them are also differently focused.

I'd be happy to help with a more detailed discussion if you have additional questions -- drop me a note: kinder at

Steve Kinder