• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-11-23T04:46:10Z by KeithPrescott
KeithPrescott
KeithPrescott
11 Posts

Pinned topic Asset vs. Enterprise Application

‏2011-11-21T18:36:15Z |
Hi,

Hopefully I am in the right forum for this question. I am trying to use assemble an application with SCA using an Enterprise Application in a a component.

When I deploy an EAR as an Enterprise Application I noticed that WAS 8 also creates a BLA and adds the EAR to it, but it does not include the EAR as an Asset. If I add the EAR as an Asset, it is just an Asset until I add it to a BLA, then I see the EAR as an Enterprise Application an Asset and it is in the BLA.

If I want to assemble with SCA using an Enterprise Application, does it matter how the EAR was deployed to WAS, either directly or as an Asset?

Thanks,
--Keith
Updated on 2011-11-23T04:46:10Z at 2011-11-23T04:46:10Z by KeithPrescott
  • HasanMuhammad
    HasanMuhammad
    8 Posts

Re: Asset vs. Enterprise Application

‏2011-11-21T18:47:33Z  
    Yes it does. You need to import the EAR application as an Asset, deploy the asset under a BLA. Then, you can deploy the SCA CU out of the SCA asset that has been imported.

Hasan
  • KeithPrescott
    KeithPrescott
    11 Posts

‏2011-11-21T19:25:41Z  
    Yes it does. You need to import the EAR application as an Asset, deploy the asset under a BLA. Then, you can deploy the SCA CU out of the SCA asset that has been imported.

Hasan
    Thanks Hasan,

Do the EAR and SCA CU need to be in the same BLA, or can the EAR be in one BLA and the SCA CU be in a BLA that depends on the EAR BLA?

Thanks,
    --Keith
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    126 Posts

‏2011-11-22T15:16:40Z  
    Thanks Hasan,

Do the EAR and SCA CU need to be in the same BLA, or can the EAR be in one BLA and the SCA CU be in a BLA that depends on the EAR BLA?

Thanks,
    --Keith
    Keith,

They need to be in the same BLA.

Note that the EAR's role in implementing an SCA component doesn't prevent it from also serving as a "normal EAR", e.g. an EJB in this EAR can still be invoked "normally" as an EJB by EJB clients. I'm just mentioning that in case that's happened to be why you thought you might want to deploy it in a separate BLA.

Scott
  • KeithPrescott
    KeithPrescott
    11 Posts

‏2011-11-23T04:46:10Z  
    Keith,

They need to be in the same BLA.

Note that the EAR's role in implementing an SCA component doesn't prevent it from also serving as a "normal EAR", e.g. an EJB in this EAR can still be invoked "normally" as an EJB by EJB clients. I'm just mentioning that in case that's happened to be why you thought you might want to deploy it in a separate BLA.

Scott
    Thanks Scott