Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-01-27T16:59:36Z by tajinder_singh
GaryBromley
GaryBromley
5 Posts

Pinned topic Orchestration to Orchestration via Web Services returnes empty body

‏2011-11-18T07:06:19Z |
Hi All,

I have developed a Web Service initiated orchestration that in turn invokes a 2nd Web Service (as local://) as part of the same project.
I have tested it successfully in Studio however when the Project is uploaded to our Hypervisor Appliance the reply body from the 2nd Web Service is empty (it has data when tested under Studio).

Are there any specific rules around Namespaces or XML Schema's associated with invoking internal Web Services?

I following the Studio help on creating the orchestration (invoke Service, Send Reply).

Any idea's on how I can debug in the appliance?
Updated on 2012-04-20T07:03:22Z at 2012-04-20T07:03:22Z by CI4Now
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    238 Posts

Re: Orchestration to Orchestration via Web Services returnes empty body

‏2011-11-23T14:50:56Z  
    Hi,
    Did you did to call your second Web Service deployed on CI Hypervisor appliance alone? Is the response body empty as well?

Regards,
    Magali
  • GaryBromley
    GaryBromley
    5 Posts

‏2011-11-25T05:43:48Z  
    Hi,
    Did you did to call your second Web Service deployed on CI Hypervisor appliance alone? Is the response body empty as well?

Regards,
    Magali
    How does one call the 2nd Web Service?
    It's internal to the appliance and uses local:/// for the path.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    238 Posts

‏2011-11-27T07:47:29Z  
    Any luck with using the hostname of your virtual appliance? Or with "127.0.0.1"?

Regards,
    Magali
  • NateTheRobot
    NateTheRobot
    3 Posts

‏2011-12-05T07:32:26Z  
    You may check with your WMC's job log (need orchestration log level to be set to more detail) and see if the message sent from your orchestration to internal 2nd webservices is different from your studio verification one.
  • GaryBromley
    GaryBromley
    5 Posts

‏2011-12-07T03:44:22Z  
    You may check with your WMC's job log (need orchestration log level to be set to more detail) and see if the message sent from your orchestration to internal 2nd webservices is different from your studio verification one.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Firstly, this works fine in the Studio Verify (so changing hostname/ip address in the studio is not relevant).

In the WMC, the 2nd Web Service (the called WS) Send Reply activity has a "body(input)" which contains the correct return XML message:

<?xml version=
    "1.0"?> <UpsertContactResponse xmlns=
    "http://www.approuter.com/connectors/response/6/"> <Results> <RowCount>1</RowCount> <HasError>false</HasError> <ErrorMessage/> <StackTrace/> <ClientsList> <Clients> <ClientID>JIM@ABC.NET</ClientID> </Clients> </ClientsList> </Results> </UpsertContactResponse>

However, in the 1st Web Service (the calling WS) "body (output)" the XML message is empty, i.e.

<?xml version=
    "1.0"?>

What commands can be run in the WMC command line to debug or diagnose?

Regards,
    Gary.
  • GregWilhelm
    GregWilhelm
    6 Posts

‏2012-02-06T20:38:48Z  
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Firstly, this works fine in the Studio Verify (so changing hostname/ip address in the studio is not relevant).

In the WMC, the 2nd Web Service (the called WS) Send Reply activity has a "body(input)" which contains the correct return XML message:
    <pre class="jive-pre"> <?xml version= "1.0"?> <UpsertContactResponse xmlns= "http://www.approuter.com/connectors/response/6/"> <Results> <RowCount>1</RowCount> <HasError>false</HasError> <ErrorMessage/> <StackTrace/> <ClientsList> <Clients> <ClientID>JIM@ABC.NET</ClientID> </Clients> </ClientsList> </Results> </UpsertContactResponse> </pre>
    However, in the 1st Web Service (the calling WS) "body (output)" the XML message is empty, i.e. <pre class="jive-pre"> <?xml version= "1.0"?> </pre>

What commands can be run in the WMC command line to debug or diagnose?

Regards,
    Gary.
    I've noticed that sometimes this application swallows errors and returns back an empty XML document like this (especially with the NetSuite connector). I'd suggest filing a Service Now ticket with IBM if you see this behavior anywhere, as no application should be swallowing errors.

The best way that we've found to debug this is to deploy to the Cast Iron appliance and then look through the error log details. Set the logging level to "All" on the orchestration in the Web Management Console.

If that does't help, grab the request input XML in the log details, then use it to fashion a SOAP request to the same web service using SoapUI. Obviously this requires some knowledge on XML and SOAP. This will help tell you if the problem lies in your Cast Iron orchestration or in the web service itself.
  • GaryBromley
    GaryBromley
    5 Posts

‏2012-02-07T00:55:13Z  
    I've noticed that sometimes this application swallows errors and returns back an empty XML document like this (especially with the NetSuite connector). I'd suggest filing a Service Now ticket with IBM if you see this behavior anywhere, as no application should be swallowing errors.

The best way that we've found to debug this is to deploy to the Cast Iron appliance and then look through the error log details. Set the logging level to "All" on the orchestration in the Web Management Console.

If that does't help, grab the request input XML in the log details, then use it to fashion a SOAP request to the same web service using SoapUI. Obviously this requires some knowledge on XML and SOAP. This will help tell you if the problem lies in your Cast Iron orchestration or in the web service itself.
    I have deployed this project to the appliance and the output I have provided is in fact from the logs you suggested (with logging = ALL).

How can I invoke the 2nd Web Service using soapUI when it is internal to the appliance (local:///)?
  • GregWilhelm
    GregWilhelm
    6 Posts

‏2012-02-07T06:15:19Z  
    I have deployed this project to the appliance and the output I have provided is in fact from the logs you suggested (with logging = ALL).

How can I invoke the 2nd Web Service using soapUI when it is internal to the appliance (local:///)?
    I don't work for IBM, so I can only offer my personal experiences. I've never used 'local' to consume Cast Iron web services since it only works from within the same project. If you change the web service endpoint to be externally accessible and upload it the appliance, you can download the WSDL file for your web service from within the Web Management Console. You can then use this WSDL file with SoapUI to test the web service. I have projects that consume web services in the same way (remotely) from within the same project - I'm not sure if this will help you or not.

Note that using 127.0.0.1 has never worked for me - I have always had to use the host name of my workstation in Studio. On the appliance, you have to use the fully qualified domain name.
  • CI4Now
    CI4Now
    5 Posts

‏2012-04-20T07:03:22Z  
    Gary,
    Have you ever got this to work as a local web service?
    Please update the post when you get a chance!
    Thx.
  • tajinder_singh
    tajinder_singh
    1 Post

‏2015-01-27T16:59:36Z  

Hi Everyone

I am trying to access the soap webservice from cast iron live. I have problem figuring our the orchestration flow and the mapping. 

can someone please show me some example of how it can be done.

Hope to hear from you.. Thanks in advance