Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-11-16T12:56:06Z by SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Debug COBOL/CICS using RDz - TXSeries

‏2011-11-15T13:41:05Z |
hello, I will raise my problem and I hope they serve. if someone has a solution or had the same problem I hope your answer.
Here's the problem:
I want to debug a local CICS transaction TXSeries with Rational Developer for System z / OS. TXSeries configuration is able, as I can launch the console transaction and everything is perfect.
The problem is when I connect to the CICS server from Rational. What I do is create a new debug instance "Connect to a running program," but when I browse the list of process ID's (looking for "cicsas.exe" process) This tool does not find any process.
I tried using different Windows users and domain users, but only the process "conhost.exe" is found by Windows users.
I need urgent help. If you need more information I provide it!

Thank you very much, greetings!
Updated on 2011-11-16T12:56:06Z at 2011-11-16T12:56:06Z by SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Debug COBOL/CICS using RDz - TXSeries

‏2011-11-15T15:26:01Z  in response to SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
    A similar problem is discussed here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=347372&tstart=0#14544349

STEP 1 - Can you check through the TXSeries administration console that the CICS region is up and running?.

STEP 2 - Can you confirm with Windows Task Manager that you are able to see the cicsas.exe processes? (Ensure you have set the "Show Processes from all users" check-box)

Cheers,
    Hari
    • SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T16:11:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Hari,

Yes, definitely my region is started and running.
      On the other hand, in the windows task manager I see correctly the process "cicsas.exe." in fact, I modified the option to limit the region of maximum simultaneous server limited to 1 (Maximum number of Application Servers to maintain = 1), to determine whether the problem could be that. But apparently this is not the problem.
      I mention something: when click-to RDZ Browse button launches the process "conhost.exe" and is the only process that shows me the list to select.

I think maybe it's a matter of users and permissions.

I leave a picture.

thank you very much and I hope more help!
      Greetings!
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        308 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T16:19:53Z  in response to SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
        Not sure why the CICS processes are not getting listed in the RDz window - May be you need to check if your log-in ID has the necessary Administrative privileges or log-in as Administrator. Alternatively, did you try keying in the cicsas.exe process-ID (that you can get from the Task Manager) in the edit box without the Browse option?.

Cheers,
        Hari
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T16:34:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Yes, I will continue testing with the issue of users, I think that's where I'm failing.
          I ran the command "CEMT INQUIRE TASK," which will return the process ID for "cicsas.exe." I see this process in the task manager but when I manually typing in the text box for the Process ID returned me an error window telling me that the process ID of 9999, for example, does not exist.

Anyway I would like to continue getting help from all staff of the Forum, so here any member wishing to help please do so.
          I'll be very grateful.

Greetings!
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            308 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T17:30:36Z  in response to SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
            May be you also want to try posting your question on the RDz technical forum http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1131

Cheers,
            Hari
              8 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T17:36:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Thank you very much.

If you think of any other solution please let me know. I'm going to tell you any news on the responses in the other forum.

Cheers.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                308 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T18:50:46Z  in response to SF89_juan_cruz_Montanari
                I'm beginning to think that RDz does not list any processes that are part of system account, hence want to see if you can try to start the CICS region using your local account (that you use to log-in to Windows). TXSeries CICS regions are registered as Windows services, hence to change the privileges do the following:

1. Open Services window through "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services"
                2. Scan through the Name field to find your CICS region (e.g. *cics.<region_name>*)
                3. Right-click on the region name and select Properties
                4. Select the "Log On" tab and select "This account" radio button
                5. Provide your Account details and Password (*Ensure that this user has Administrative privileges and also part of the CICS group*)
                <you might have to reboot for the above changes to be effective>
                6. Re-start your CICS region using TXSeries administration console
                7. Now try through RDz to see if you get the 'cicsas.exe' processes

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,
                Hari
                  8 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-16T12:56:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hi there,

I get the answer from the other forum you told me.
                  And is the following:

I've Searched the install directory for "irmtdbgc.exe" and open a command window running as admin in the directory where I've found it and enter "irmtdbgc.exe -a <pid> (process id for cicsas.exe)

The debug engine will connect to RDz and attach to the process.

It works fine. I only have to test it and see what happens.

Anyway I appreciate your help, I really was very useful.

Greetings!