Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-06-13T20:12:04Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9111 Posts

Pinned topic RSA/RSA2 not present. Halting!

‏2008-06-11T18:32:00Z |
Trying to reset to default userid and password. Following the methods outlinged in the Redbook file sg246495.pdf.

I should be able to use ASU.exe to nuke it back to defaults, as we do not know the old userid and password which is in the card. They are not the defaults: USERID/PASSW0RD.

You apparently need the old userid/password if you are using the IBM Director, MPCLI or web interface. So these methods were not attempted.

Setting up the ASU required making sure the RSA def patch is applied. From what I've read, the latest version of ASU already comes preinstalled with the RSA patch, so all I needed to patchadd was the BIOS for the 345. So, now, asu patchlist shows BMC, RSA and BIOS.

When i run asu resetrsa, I get:

RSA/RSA2 not present. Halting!

Nor do any of the other RSA queuing commands seem to work. The RSA is accessible through the RJ45 jack via web and telnet however, and the IP settings in the 345 BIOS are adjustable, but because of the current firmware, the <<RESET RSAII TO DEFAULTS>> command is NOT present in the 345 BIOS screen (latest BIOS installed 1.21).

Could the preinstalled RSA Patch in ASU be incorrectly profiling the RSAII? If so, I cannot find an rsa.def file to patchadd into ASU anywhere. Doing a patchextract, then patchadd from the extracted file also doesn't work.

Lastly, I was trying to install the RSA II Drivers for Server 2003 (our OS), and the installer can detect the card, but says there is something wrong with the USB connectivity. We do have the USB mini->USB cable connected, and it's a good cable that we have used on other RSA adapters. I was doing this to follow up on another way to nuke the card. Perhaps this is related?

One final point, we have this issue with ALL our RSA cards and machines. I've tried this process with different 345 servers and other RSA cards. Same problem. Oh, and yes, it's set to "Other OS" not Linux :)

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks
-Mike

Message was edited by: mcaramb

Updated on 2008-06-13T20:12:04Z at 2008-06-13T20:12:04Z by SystemAdmin
  • Stokie
    Stokie
    573 Posts

Re: RSA/RSA2 not present. Halting!

‏2008-06-12T06:56:20Z  
    Can I have the xml.gz file from a DSA 2.02 bootable or 2.11 portable run please ? Will help to get a picture of the installation.

Stokie.

Message was edited by: Stokie
    Updated on 2008-06-12T06:56:20Z at 2008-06-12T06:56:20Z by Stokie
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2008-06-12T14:39:12Z  
    • Stokie
    • ‏2008-06-12T06:55:44Z
    Can I have the xml.gz file from a DSA 2.02 bootable or 2.11 portable run please ? Will help to get a picture of the installation.

Stokie.

Message was edited by: Stokie
    Sure thing. It's posted at:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-092854.xml.gz

Or, just go to:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-092854

(BTW- Ran the ./asu resetrsa from a CentOS 5 install on another box and rsa adaptor, same response error there.)

Updated on 2008-06-12T14:39:12Z at 2008-06-12T14:39:12Z by SystemAdmin
  • Stokie
    Stokie
    573 Posts

‏2008-06-12T16:18:09Z  
    Sure thing. It's posted at:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-092854.xml.gz

Or, just go to:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-092854

(BTW- Ran the ./asu resetrsa from a CentOS 5 install on another box and rsa adaptor, same response error there.)

Actually since it's an RSA2 card you have a reset button . Probably a bit easier ... it is just the slimline card where you really need to use asu.

I would still double check the hardware installation as per the instructions at

www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-57090&brandind=5000008

This mentions on p11 how to find/use the reset button.

The card is clearly in the right slot, has the right firmware and you have the right device driver loaded. I can't tell much more than that from the DSA (why use old v2.02 ...? ) .. I can't see if the correct cables are properly installed etc.

Long shot would be a compat. problem with the Adaptec card you have installed . If problems persist please confirm the p/n of the card and cables in use.
    Good luck .

Stokie.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2008-06-12T19:47:45Z  
    • Stokie
    • ‏2008-06-12T16:18:09Z
    Actually since it's an RSA2 card you have a reset button . Probably a bit easier ... it is just the slimline card where you really need to use asu.

I would still double check the hardware installation as per the instructions at

www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-57090&brandind=5000008

This mentions on p11 how to find/use the reset button.

The card is clearly in the right slot, has the right firmware and you have the right device driver loaded. I can't tell much more than that from the DSA (why use old v2.02 ...? ) .. I can't see if the correct cables are properly installed etc.

Long shot would be a compat. problem with the Adaptec card you have installed . If problems persist please confirm the p/n of the card and cables in use.
    Good luck .

Stokie.
    Well, of course I've got the installation pdf file and have tried the reset switch! In fact, alot of people have tried that reset switch and found that all it does is reset the RSA server, it does not set everything back to defaults. There was one fellow who said to try the 5-5-10 method (hold for 5 seconds, release for 5 seconds, hold again for 10 seconds using a watch), and that also does not work.

I suppose I can pull the SCSI card out of one of our boxes and see if it is causing the conflict, but geez, this sounds like an ASU glitch that needs to be checked into and fixed! I've found lots of people with the same issue.

Oh, P/N of the cable is: 02R1660, P/N of card is possibly 23S00096B5E9552

Also, here is the url to a DSA 2.11p report:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-144319.xml.gz

-Mike

Updated on 2008-06-12T19:47:45Z at 2008-06-12T19:47:45Z by SystemAdmin
  • Stokie
    Stokie
    573 Posts

‏2008-06-13T11:31:29Z  
    Well, of course I've got the installation pdf file and have tried the reset switch! In fact, alot of people have tried that reset switch and found that all it does is reset the RSA server, it does not set everything back to defaults. There was one fellow who said to try the 5-5-10 method (hold for 5 seconds, release for 5 seconds, hold again for 10 seconds using a watch), and that also does not work.

I suppose I can pull the SCSI card out of one of our boxes and see if it is causing the conflict, but geez, this sounds like an ASU glitch that needs to be checked into and fixed! I've found lots of people with the same issue.

Oh, P/N of the cable is: 02R1660, P/N of card is possibly 23S00096B5E9552

Also, here is the url to a DSA 2.11p report:

http://www.nohasslecomputing.com/867031X_KPBXT94_20080612-144319.xml.gz

-Mike

Mike,
    You have more than just an ASU issue here because the DSA cannot communicate with the RSA2 .. it should be pulling a lot more information ... VPD, Environmentals, RSA log etc . As I said, this is a little strange because the RSA2 device driver has seemingly loaded OK, the RSA2 card is in the correct slot with the correct firmware and the OS Setting you have said is fine. These are the normal problems all covered.
    To prove if it is a hardware setup or software issue please try the DSA bootable edition CD. This definitely has all the right drivers in place to work if the underlying hardware is OK .
    Note because DSA Bootable is Linux based you must temporarily change the RSA2 OS setting from 'Other' to 'Linux' ... otherwise you get interminable delays and a lack of RSA2 detail.

Stokie.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2008-06-13T13:13:11Z  
    Something I have done in the past in a similar situation with RSAII PCI cards is this.

Remove RSA II card from the server and install in a desktop pc. Load the driver and ensure driver loads without error.

Install the MPCLI utility. The MPCLI will not need a password to login since it authenticates through the driver.

use the logonlocal (I think that was the correct syntax) to logon and then issue the reset command.. I do not remember what the reset command was but it is in the MPCLI manual. resetmp maybe?

The reason for taking it out of the server was to be able to try different methods and be able to reboot when I was unable to have the server down or rebooted. I also had driver issues on the server where it would not detect the card. I had XP running on the desktop. Driver loaded fine and all was well in the desktop platform.

Once the password was reset I was able to put the card in the server and then worked on the driver issue. Once the card was back in the server, firmware on RSA card was flashed and restored defaults from the web interface it worked fine.

The USB cable on the card does not need to be connected for the MPCLI / ASU to communicate with it. The USB cable is only needed to provide keyboard / mouse input when doing remote control.

Message was edited by: BarryC
    Updated on 2008-06-13T13:13:11Z at 2008-06-13T13:13:11Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2008-06-13T20:12:04Z  
    Something I have done in the past in a similar situation with RSAII PCI cards is this.

Remove RSA II card from the server and install in a desktop pc. Load the driver and ensure driver loads without error.

Install the MPCLI utility. The MPCLI will not need a password to login since it authenticates through the driver.

use the logonlocal (I think that was the correct syntax) to logon and then issue the reset command.. I do not remember what the reset command was but it is in the MPCLI manual. resetmp maybe?

The reason for taking it out of the server was to be able to try different methods and be able to reboot when I was unable to have the server down or rebooted. I also had driver issues on the server where it would not detect the card. I had XP running on the desktop. Driver loaded fine and all was well in the desktop platform.

Once the password was reset I was able to put the card in the server and then worked on the driver issue. Once the card was back in the server, firmware on RSA card was flashed and restored defaults from the web interface it worked fine.

The USB cable on the card does not need to be connected for the MPCLI / ASU to communicate with it. The USB cable is only needed to provide keyboard / mouse input when doing remote control.

Message was edited by: BarryC
    Well, thanks for the advice gentlemen, but I've created a pretty good workaround. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Remove the RSA II card from the computer completely and put on a non conductive surface
    2. Plug in the external power adapter into the RSAII and connect it's ethernet directly to a computer setup in the 192.168.70.x subnet
    3. Wait no less than 2.5 minutes (VERY IMPORTANT! The RSAII will not post an IP until it times-out looking for connectivity on it's unconnected PCI bus)
    4. After 2.5 minutes, the adaptor will default temporarily to an ip address of 192.168.70.125. You can see when this happens with an extended PING test.
    5. When visible, visit this IP in a web browser. You WILL NOT GET A USERID/PASSWORD requirement !
    6. Restore RSAII to defaults
    7. Reset RSAII
    8. Unplug, and reinsert in computer. Set IP, flash firmware, etc.. in as needed through the web interface using the default USERID/PASSW0RD (zero not O). (It's faster to do a firmware update connected rather than not connected)

We have a batch of about 20 RSAII adaptors I am doing this with. So far, only 4 have not responded well to the procedure. I have tried different settings on the four that won't work, using what I could in BIOS (DHCP, Static, etc), but there is something else causing them to not post the default IP after 5 minutes of waiting. For these, I'm going to try BarryC's idea with another PC.

Thanks for all the help...

-Mike
    Updated on 2008-06-13T20:12:04Z at 2008-06-13T20:12:04Z by SystemAdmin