Topic
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-21T08:31:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
216 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rescue and Recovery - Password?

‏2007-05-22T19:39:03Z |
I am trying to do system restore back to its original factory state. Each time I load "Access IBM" while my computer is booting, it takes me to a login box and asks for a password. There is no user/account name bar, just a bar for a password. I have never set a password for rescue and recovery, so I dont know why its asking me for one. I've tried my password for my normal XP account, but that doesnt work either.

Is there anyway I can remove this password, or set or change it to a new one?

Any help is appreciated.
Updated on 2012-08-21T08:31:51Z at 2012-08-21T08:31:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    216 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rescue and Recovery - Password?

‏2007-06-22T10:54:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the R&R password. I do not remember to have set any but it always asks for a password, so now I can not return my ThinkPad (T42p) to as it was manifactured. I think the problem appeared after an IBM security update but I am not sure :( The password does not reside in the CMOS memory therefore even removing the back-up battery does not help. From what I found in Internet, in the EEPROM memory are stored the SVP, HDD, and Power-on passwords. Actually, there is no information at all about this R&R password :(

I do not know is it possible to use R&R CDs (DVDs) instead of the HD partition and therefore to bypass the pasword. May be no... :(

I also look for solution to this PSWD problem... unfortunately, without any success so far.

Any help is appreciated,
    Hristo
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      216 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Problem Solved :)

‏2007-06-25T09:16:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I tried with the R&R CDs (DVDs) instead of the HD partition but I coud not bypass the password.

I am not sure but you may try to uninstall the rescue and recovery from windows: Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. This rescue and recovery is different from what you get when you press the blue button on start-up.

Below I present what I actually did. I spent some time to find out where this password is stored. It turned out that the password resides somewhere in the windows partition but where I do not know. So, I renamed several directories related to IBM tools: c->IBMSHARE, c->IBMTOOLS, c->Program Files->IBM, c->Windows->System32->...ood->IBM. For the last one you have to search and to find where ibm related directory is located. (Now I am on other machine and I can not check.)

After renaming these directories I restarted the machine and I was able to perform recovery and no one asked me for a password :)

P.S. Because I was trying to locate the password, I erased the protected "rescue and recovery" partition. Before that I created recovery cd (actually it took 2 DVDs). So, later I restored the machine from these DVDs. Maybe, you will be able to recover directly from the recovery partition but I did not test this.

Success abd good luck :)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        216 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Problem Solved :)

‏2007-11-09T10:00:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hristo, thanks.

I solved the same problem by renaming some of IBM folders on c:\ (IBMSHARE, IBMTOOLS, DRIVERS, SUPPORT, Program Files\IBM) and R&R did not ask for password any more.

Your solution helped me a lot.

By ;)
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          216 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-12-11T02:13:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hmmm... I've renamed all of those folders and \windows\system32\oobe\ibm as well. Still getting asked for a password.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          216 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-12-12T00:49:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Wow.... Since renaming folders didn't get me past the recocery password, I bleww off the C partition. Now recovery isn't even offerred and I cant seem to get into thge recovery partition at all.

Wierd stuff.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        216 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-10-07T20:11:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Unbelievable!! Just renaming the folders works perfectly on my R51 ...

Thank you very much :-)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        216 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-28T06:03:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Someone might help me in this one. my laptop Thinkpad R51
        i have same problem i forgot my R&R password,
        as i read the threads, i already follow the steps renaming folders
        and removing the R&R to my controll panel, Still i get ask password for R&R,

Some one could help me fix my problem?

email me : rico.puerto@heion-it.com
        thanks for help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    216 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-02T20:00:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Since we had the recovery cds, I ended up fdisking the drive from a Win98 cd (boot option 2 on cd), and booting off the recovery cds to restore onto the clean drive.

The password was buried in the service partition in our case because I tried leaving it alone, and was prompted for a password - I then blew it away too.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    216 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Rescue and Recovery - Password?

‏2011-03-13T14:15:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi
    Can anyone help me how to get the password for rescue and recovery. I have forgot the password. Is there anyway to get the password for rescue and recovery.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      216 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-21T08:31:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the R&R password. I do not remember to have set any but it always asks for a password, I think the problem appeared after an IBM security update but I am not sure Actually, there is no information at all about this R&R password :(
      Thanks
      Apple ipad 3 cases
      Apple ipad 2 cases