Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-02T13:45:39Z by rolandpeisl
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts

Pinned topic How to Undeploy Application in Process Center?

‏2011-11-07T15:59:04Z |
I don't see the Undeploy Application option in Process Center or in the Process Admin Console. I have followed these instructions, but do not see the Undeploy option anywhere. Can someone tell me how to properly undeploy a process application from a server through Process Center?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v7r5mx/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.wbpm.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Ftadm_uninstallprocessapp.html

Attaching screenshot of Process Admin console using the instructions at URL above.
Updated on 2012-03-02T13:45:39Z at 2012-03-02T13:45:39Z by rolandpeisl
  • vlit
    vlit
    922 Posts

Re: How to Undeploy Application in Process Center?

‏2011-11-07T16:30:51Z  
    Hi,

Read in your guide: Before you can successfully undeploy a snapshot from a process server, it needs to be inactive

I see that it is active on your screenshot.

Vladlen.
  • NCQE_Jonathan_Blankenship
    13 Posts

‏2011-11-16T21:01:55Z  
    • vlit
    • ‏2011-11-07T16:30:51Z
    Hi,

Read in your guide: Before you can successfully undeploy a snapshot from a process server, it needs to be inactive

Vladlen.
    You need to archive the snapshot. There is no "delete" however, the process center will let you undeploy by inactivating it and then archiving the snapshot.
  • NCQE_Jonathan_Blankenship
    13 Posts

‏2011-11-16T21:02:33Z  
    • vlit
    • ‏2011-11-07T16:30:51Z
    Hi,

Vladlen.
    You need to archive the snapshot. There is no "delete" however, the process center will let you undeploy by inactivating it and then archiving the snapshot.
  • NS3Q_edgar_uriel_zamora_lora
    24 Posts

‏2012-02-24T21:15:28Z  
    Actually there is a delete, but you have to enter into the archive apps or toolkits section, then you will see the delete.
  • RussoZ
    RussoZ
    6 Posts

‏2012-03-01T18:38:12Z  
    Actually there is a delete, but you have to enter into the archive apps or toolkits section, then you will see the delete.
    by all means, let us know how you made that happen... because I have 7.5.1 installed here, I search for this delete option everywhere and couldn´t find it...
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2012-03-01T19:23:52Z  
    • RussoZ
    • ‏2012-03-01T18:38:12Z
    by all means, let us know how you made that happen... because I have 7.5.1 installed here, I search for this delete option everywhere and couldn´t find it...
    Hi RussoZ,
    See if this new video tutorial helps on deleting a Process App or toolkit:

http://vimeo.com/groups/ibmbpm/videos/37754671

Neil
  • RussoZ
    RussoZ
    6 Posts

‏2012-03-01T21:44:25Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2012-03-01T19:23:52Z
    Hi RussoZ,
    See if this new video tutorial helps on deleting a Process App or toolkit:

http://vimeo.com/groups/ibmbpm/videos/37754671

Neil
    Thanks for the video, Neil, it cleared the question.

Any chance we're going to see something similar for snapshots only, in the next version(s)? Something like, remove all snapshots older than 2 years.

Cheers!
    Alexei
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2012-03-01T22:29:50Z  
    • RussoZ
    • ‏2012-03-01T21:44:25Z
    Thanks for the video, Neil, it cleared the question.

Any chance we're going to see something similar for snapshots only, in the next version(s)? Something like, remove all snapshots older than 2 years.

Cheers!
    Alexei
    Hi Alexei,
    I see that we can archive snap shots so that they don't appear in the list but I don't see (or know) of any way to delete a snapshot. Before the 7.5.1 release, there was no way to delete a Process App or Toolkit ... they could just be archived (which I take to be a nice word for "hidden"). I saw question after question asking why we couldn't delete Process Apps or Toolkits and development kept coming back with (what I thought was) a sensible response saying "Why does it matter? Why not just leave the Process Apps and Toolkits hanging around?" After all, all they seemed to consume was some DB disk space and not even that much?

I am not 100% sure why the 7.5.1 release added the ability to delete Process Apps and Toolkits ... it is possible that development bowed to popular pressure and said "oh ... ok then!!". Or ... it may be that with the ability to export a Process App or Toolkit that if it were modified in a "foreign" Process Center, we would want to bring it back in to replace the current Process App or Toolkit in our own Process Center (which might be a problem if one already exists).

Anyway ... after this wordy pre-amble ... I'm not seeing a technical need to be able to "delete" historic snap shots other than for the mental "hygiene" that it might provide us. Do you have a technical reason for wanting to delete old snapshots?

Neil
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2012-03-01T23:58:54Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2012-03-01T22:29:50Z
    Hi Alexei,
    I see that we can archive snap shots so that they don't appear in the list but I don't see (or know) of any way to delete a snapshot. Before the 7.5.1 release, there was no way to delete a Process App or Toolkit ... they could just be archived (which I take to be a nice word for "hidden"). I saw question after question asking why we couldn't delete Process Apps or Toolkits and development kept coming back with (what I thought was) a sensible response saying "Why does it matter? Why not just leave the Process Apps and Toolkits hanging around?" After all, all they seemed to consume was some DB disk space and not even that much?

I am not 100% sure why the 7.5.1 release added the ability to delete Process Apps and Toolkits ... it is possible that development bowed to popular pressure and said "oh ... ok then!!". Or ... it may be that with the ability to export a Process App or Toolkit that if it were modified in a "foreign" Process Center, we would want to bring it back in to replace the current Process App or Toolkit in our own Process Center (which might be a problem if one already exists).

Anyway ... after this wordy pre-amble ... I'm not seeing a technical need to be able to "delete" historic snap shots other than for the mental "hygiene" that it might provide us. Do you have a technical reason for wanting to delete old snapshots?

Neil
    Hi guys,
    I got an off-line query on my last post and since I like to correspond through the forums (where possible) here are some additional thoughts.

A question was asked: How much space "is" used by a snapshot?
    Well ... the maximum space that would be used would be the size of all the artifacts times 2. This would be (opinion) worst case. When a snapshot is taken, then a copy of all artifacts "could" be taken.

The best case would be "near zero" extra space and only when changes are made to existing artifacts past the snapshot would changes be recorded.

Unfortunately, I simply have no idea what happens "under the covers" so I am only guessing here. My best guess is that whenever an artifact is changed and saved, the original artifact is replaced with the new one. This means that we can't "go back in time" to an artifact that was just replaced. However, when a snapshot is taken, then a "record" of the artifacts are made and changes then made past the snapshot are a "delta" from the last snapshot. In principle, this might mean that the cost of recording snapshots is pretty minor ... however if this "delta" principle is the case, then (unless checkpoints are taken or caching done), the cost of accessing the current version of an artifact could be incrementally more significant as the number of snapshots grow.

However, and I guess here is the important thing, in all my studies, I haven't seen a single post saying that the cost of accessing an artifact is too slow because it has too many snapshots "behind" it.

There was one more question ... if one truly wanted to get rid of all snapshots, could I export a Process App, archive it, delete it and then import the previous export?

My understanding is "yes". And the result "should be" the exact same Process App that you exported minus any snapshots associated with it.

Thanks for the questions my friend ... hope this is what you wanted. It is possible someone with internals knowledge of the product may review this post and come back with more authoritative knowledge assuming that disclosing such would be considered acceptable product information disclosure.

Neil
  • rolandpeisl
    rolandpeisl
    1 Post

‏2012-03-02T13:45:39Z  
    Folks,

have a look at the BPM samples page - one of the samples is how to delete a process application from Process Center.
    Here comes the link:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/bpcsamp/v7r5/index.html

Go down to 'Hints and tips with process applications' and find a sample explaining how to delete PA.
    It's a well hidden feature in v751.