Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T20:37:54Z by kevintap
dmelby
dmelby
108 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Can Web Experience be installed in RAD 8.0.3?

‏2011-11-02T18:47:13Z |
I tried to install Web Experience 7.0.1 into my existing version of RAD 8.0.3 iFix 1 and I get the following error message:
"This version of your Rational product is not a version that Portlet Factory is tested to run on. This many cause usability issues. Please check for the availability of a fixpack that may support this Rational product version." Is it possible to integrate??
Updated on 2012-12-10T20:37:54Z at 2012-12-10T20:37:54Z by kevintap
  • kevintap
    kevintap
    712 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can Web Experience be installed in RAD 8.0.3?

‏2011-11-02T18:58:10Z  in response to dmelby
    It is possible to install WEF 7.0.1 in RAD 8.0.3. I have this environment working, and I have not experienced any difficulties with it.

The reason for the warning message in the installer is that WEF has various dependencies on Eclipse plugins and other extensions provided by RAD. When WEF 7.0.1 was released, it was tested on RAD 8.0.2. However, it is impossible to predict how future releases of RAD (8.0.3 for example) will interact with regards to these dependencies. If a required eclipse plugin is updated by the RAD 8.0.3 upgrade, this provides an unknown, untested environment for running WEF. (There have been cases in the past where a RAD upgrade modifies a required dependency of WEF to the extent that WEF will not operate correctly in the new environment.) The installer is simply warning to this effect.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-09T19:24:33Z  in response to dmelby
    Kevin
    Have you tried applying any fix packs on WEF?

I was trying to install WEF Fix 7.0.1.4 on RAD 8.0.4. I was getting designer error when trying to open RAD after installing the upgrade. Models were not opening and RAD was constantly throwing some error. When I tried to upgrade my project, I got some error like this feature is not enabled.
    • gsager
      gsager
      72 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T18:56:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I believe the Rad 8.0.4 uses an upgraded version of eclipse that is not supported by that version of WEF. That version is supported with WEF 8.0. Usually a way to see if there are issues with wef and a version of eclipse or rad is to check the design view. There also with rad a way if you do not use the default install but remove some features of the rad install you can create a version of rad that will not work with WEF. You can use WEF 8 design tool but not upgrade your projects so the project can still be a 7.0.1.4 compatible project. The version of the designer doesn't affect the version of your project unless you upgrade the project. So it is safe to use the latest version of the designer with any previous version of a wef project.
      • gsager
        gsager
        72 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T18:58:36Z  in response to gsager
        With the test of the design view. If there is none then this is usually because the needed version of web tools is not available for it to display.
    • kevintap
      kevintap
      712 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:37:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      RAD 8.0.4 is not a tested platform to install WEF on top of. I would suggest that you use RAD 8.0.2, which is the tested version of RAD known to work. I had success with RAD 8.0.3, even though it is not tested. However, your experience may differ. I have not tried RAD 8.0.4, but it sounds like RAD 8.0.4 includes updates to some of the core eclipse components and/or other dependencies of WEF which are causing compatibility problems.

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.