Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2011-11-02T15:48:16Z by SystemAdmin
CraigHunt
CraigHunt
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SDMC Software Appliance boot time

‏2011-11-02T00:33:53Z |
I am having an issue where the reboot of the SDMC software appliance is taking 27 minutes.

I am running the SDMC on ESX4.1i on a x3550 with 8Gb ram and with only this appliance running on ESX4.1i. Booting the server into ESX takes only 3 minutes.

Looking at the console of the SDMC when booting it appears the base OS load is quick and most of the time I see only "Server starting" in a gui type window.

Compared to a HMC which takes 5 minutes approximately to reboot, 27 minutes is excessive.

Is the SDMC doing some sort of network discovery? if so how do I turn it off ?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Craig Hunt
Updated on 2011-11-02T15:48:16Z at 2011-11-02T15:48:16Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    39 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SDMC Software Appliance boot time

‏2011-11-02T15:48:16Z  in response to CraigHunt
    It shouldn't take anywhere close to this long. Director can be pretty temperamental to bad network settings though, and will sit for 20-25 minutes on startup trying to reach hosts that are not available.

Check your network settings - in particular your DNS settings. Do you have a valid DNS server? Is the hostname of your SDMC registered in the DNS server? Is your domain name right? A quick thing to check is to 'cat /etc/hosts'. Make sure there is an entry for:

IP_ADDR full_hostname short_hostname

Make sure your full_hostname is hostname.domainname and it's valid and in DNS.