• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-07T06:54:49Z by devil786
devil786
devil786
95 Posts

Pinned topic Monitoring Siebel App Server and Siebel Web Servers on HP-UX

‏2011-10-31T13:12:08Z |
Hi All,
We want to monitor Siebel App Server and Siebel WebServers, So i want to know that can we use ITCAM for Application Diagnostic and ITCAM for Transaction Tracking for the said environment?. Please Guide
Updated on 2012-03-07T06:54:49Z at 2012-03-07T06:54:49Z by devil786
  • Jim-Young
    Jim-Young
    14 Posts

Re: Monitoring Siebel App Server and Siebel Web Servers on HP-UX

‏2011-10-31T23:41:22Z  
    ITCAM for Applications has a Siebel Agent that might be of interest to you:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/topic/com.ibm.itcama.doc_6.2.4/siebelagent624_user.htm
  • devil786
    devil786
    95 Posts

‏2011-11-01T05:26:08Z  
    • Jim-Young
    • ‏2011-10-31T23:41:22Z
    ITCAM for Applications has a Siebel Agent that might be of interest to you:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/topic/com.ibm.itcama.doc_6.2.4/siebelagent624_user.htm
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the reply, I know that we can use ITCAM for Siebel agent, But can we use ITCAM for AD or ITCAM for TT to monitor siebel? as i have read that we can use ITCAM for Robotoc Response Time to monitor Siebel.
  • Jim-Young
    Jim-Young
    14 Posts

‏2011-11-01T11:16:13Z  
    • devil786
    • ‏2011-11-01T05:26:08Z
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the reply, I know that we can use ITCAM for Siebel agent, But can we use ITCAM for AD or ITCAM for TT to monitor siebel? as i have read that we can use ITCAM for Robotoc Response Time to monitor Siebel.
    That's correct.
    The latest version is ITCAM for Transactions 7.3, infocenter here

Siebel is covered under the Response Time component of this product, here

Regards,
    Jim
  • enrico.vannini
    enrico.vannini
    28 Posts

‏2011-11-02T10:01:34Z  
    • Jim-Young
    • ‏2011-11-01T11:16:13Z
    That's correct.
    The latest version is ITCAM for Transactions 7.3, infocenter here

Siebel is covered under the Response Time component of this product, here

Regards,
    Jim
    I think you can also have Siebel in Transaction Tracking views using the native ARM instrumentation that Siebel provides (I think since 7.7).
    How to integrate an arm instrumented application with TT is here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.3%2Ftt%2Fdita%2Fconcept%2Fkto_tools_arm_oview.html

this link from an old manual
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamrtt.doc%2FITCAMfRTT_AdminGuide29.htm&resultof=%22siebel%22
    says how to enable ARM on siebel, don't know where it is now in the latest version of the doc

regards

Enrico Vannini
  • devil786
    devil786
    95 Posts

‏2011-11-03T04:38:48Z  
    I think you can also have Siebel in Transaction Tracking views using the native ARM instrumentation that Siebel provides (I think since 7.7).
    How to integrate an arm instrumented application with TT is here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.3%2Ftt%2Fdita%2Fconcept%2Fkto_tools_arm_oview.html

this link from an old manual
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamrtt.doc%2FITCAMfRTT_AdminGuide29.htm&resultof=%22siebel%22
    says how to enable ARM on siebel, don't know where it is now in the latest version of the doc

regards

Enrico Vannini
    Now my mind is clear. Thanks to all for the reply and suggestions.
  • mackney
    mackney
    10 Posts

‏2011-12-07T11:29:41Z  
    Enrico,

We have found that the ARM implementation in Siebel is ARM2 and not ARM4, so incompatible with the ITCAM for Transaction Collector. We tried to get around this by loading the ARM4 library from Tivoli, but it causes Siebel to crash when more than a few users are on the Siebel system. Can you help shed any light on this?

Thanks
    John Mackney
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    847 Posts

‏2011-12-12T01:47:18Z  
    • mackney
    • ‏2011-12-07T11:29:41Z
    Enrico,

We have found that the ARM implementation in Siebel is ARM2 and not ARM4, so incompatible with the ITCAM for Transaction Collector. We tried to get around this by loading the ARM4 library from Tivoli, but it causes Siebel to crash when more than a few users are on the Siebel system. Can you help shed any light on this?

Thanks
    John Mackney
    Hi John,

ITCAM for Transactions includes libraries for both ARM 2 and ARM 4.0, and should be compatible with an instrumented application following the ARM 2 or ARM 4.0 standards. On *nix the libraries provided by ITCAM for Transactions are called libarm and libarm4 respectively; on Windows, libarm32.dll and libarm4.dll respectively.

Regards,
    Andrew Wilkins
  • mackney
    mackney
    10 Posts

‏2011-12-14T17:48:43Z  
    Hi John,

ITCAM for Transactions includes libraries for both ARM 2 and ARM 4.0, and should be compatible with an instrumented application following the ARM 2 or ARM 4.0 standards. On *nix the libraries provided by ITCAM for Transactions are called libarm and libarm4 respectively; on Windows, libarm32.dll and libarm4.dll respectively.

Regards,
    Andrew Wilkins
    Thanks Andrew,

In fact the issue is not with ARM 2 and ARM 4 as reported in my previous message, it is that when loaded, the Siebel ARM 2 library (liblibarm.so) results in no ARM API calls being picked up by the Tivoli Transaction Collector (even though the correct address and port are present in armconfig.xml) and $LIBPATH is correctly defined. Conversely, when the Tivoli ARM 2 library (libarm.so) is loaded - that is through the following link: liblibarm.so -> /opt/IBM/ITM/aix536/tu/tusupport/libarm.so - transactions are collected... but Siebel crashes.

Oracle will not help diagnose the problem when the ITCAM library is loaded in this way.

I need help to understand/diagnose why SARM calls to the Oracle API are not being collected by ITCAM.

Regards
    John Mackney
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    847 Posts

‏2012-01-04T01:04:11Z  
    • mackney
    • ‏2011-12-14T17:48:43Z
    Thanks Andrew,

In fact the issue is not with ARM 2 and ARM 4 as reported in my previous message, it is that when loaded, the Siebel ARM 2 library (liblibarm.so) results in no ARM API calls being picked up by the Tivoli Transaction Collector (even though the correct address and port are present in armconfig.xml) and $LIBPATH is correctly defined. Conversely, when the Tivoli ARM 2 library (libarm.so) is loaded - that is through the following link: liblibarm.so -> /opt/IBM/ITM/aix536/tu/tusupport/libarm.so - transactions are collected... but Siebel crashes.

Oracle will not help diagnose the problem when the ITCAM library is loaded in this way.

I need help to understand/diagnose why SARM calls to the Oracle API are not being collected by ITCAM.

Regards
    John Mackney
    Hi John,

The Siebel ARM library would not result in events being sent to the Transaction Collector simply because it is not TTAPI instrumented. Only the Tivoli implementation of ARM works with the Transaction Collector.

As for the crash: we would need to know how the Tivoli ARM API is being invoked, when the application crashed. I can't say for sure, but the most likely answer is that the ARM API is being invoked incorrectly by the instrumentation code in Siebel. I understand you have been in contact with IBM Support on this issue, so I will leave it to our support team.

Regards,
    Andrew Wilkins
  • devil786
    devil786
    95 Posts

‏2012-03-07T06:54:49Z  
    Hi John,

The Siebel ARM library would not result in events being sent to the Transaction Collector simply because it is not TTAPI instrumented. Only the Tivoli implementation of ARM works with the Transaction Collector.

As for the crash: we would need to know how the Tivoli ARM API is being invoked, when the application crashed. I can't say for sure, but the most likely answer is that the ARM API is being invoked incorrectly by the instrumentation code in Siebel. I understand you have been in contact with IBM Support on this issue, so I will leave it to our support team.

Regards,
    Andrew Wilkins
    Hi all,
    thanks for the responses, but ITCAM for Siebel donot support HP-UX OS.