Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-11-01T04:27:02Z by aryan_raj
aryan_raj
aryan_raj
67 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Approach

‏2011-10-30T13:44:47Z |
Hi All,

I am new to WPF, need some help about how to design/approach a task. Was actually trying out some samples, and could successfully pull data from back end and show it on a page in tabular format. Now I wanted to add one more column to the table, which should have a link. And if the user clicks a link, I should know which link the user clicked, to which row the link belongs and perform some action based on the value.

This is one scenario, there might be some other scenarios which might come later on. How should I go ahead, I mean the approach.
Updated on 2011-11-01T04:27:02Z at 2011-11-01T04:27:02Z by aryan_raj
  • aryan_raj
    aryan_raj
    67 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Approach

‏2011-10-31T06:21:38Z  in response to aryan_raj
    Do I need to remember all the builders
    • mburati
      mburati
      425 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-31T17:37:15Z  in response to aryan_raj
      It depends on what you're trying to do, but no, you shouldn't have to memorize all of the builders...

If you're new to WPF/WEF we typically suggest going through the out of the box samples and tutorial along with the Learning WPF/WEF Roadmap on the Wiki at: http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf

View and Form can automatically turn one column of your data into links to a details action, which may be the simplest and most automated way to get what you're looking for.

If View and Form doesn't meet your needs then you may be able to place a Link on a column of your data an pass an argument from the row loop variable to the details method you select as the submit action of that Link.

If you need an additional column added to your data for your link column since you don't want any of the existing column text on the link, then you can add a column with Data Column Modifier.

Try searching this forum and more importantly, the higher traffic WEF Best Practices forum for things like "Add column", "Link row loop var" and simmilar, as these questions and answers have been discussed in these forums before.

I hope that info helps,
      ..mb1
      • aryan_raj
        aryan_raj
        67 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-01T04:27:02Z  in response to mburati
        Thank you mburati, really helpful info.
        More practice is required I guess, bcoz I don't think WPF has life cycle like other frameworks.