• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-17T07:27:31Z by RobertoFdez
RobertoFdez
RobertoFdez
102 Posts

Pinned topic VBA - TBX Files and Improve verify performance

‏2011-10-28T10:47:03Z |
Hi all,

Recently I created a VBA macro for System Architect to automate some processes like adding the same property to each definition created by the same user. To access this macro, I made a toolbar using "MyFirst.tbx" file and modifying it. My first question is, how does <ExtensionImage> label works? It seems a kind of encoding of a image but I don't know how to convert a ico or bmp file to this codification.

On the other hand, we have a encyclopedia with about 200k definitions and the "verify only" process takes 4 hours to be completed. Is there any way to improve the verify process or customize it to make it faster?

Thanks,

Roberto.
Updated on 2012-05-17T07:27:31Z at 2012-05-17T07:27:31Z by RobertoFdez
  • ghaynes
    ghaynes
    33 Posts

Re: VBA - TBX Files and Improve verify performance

‏2012-04-30T15:39:22Z  
    Roberto,
    Did you ever get you answer on the .tbx <extensionimage> question. I have the same question. Also, what is a .tbx? I see no writeup of how to modify it or update it.
    Thanks
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    102 Posts

‏2012-05-07T18:45:47Z  
    • ghaynes
    • ‏2012-04-30T15:39:22Z
    Roberto,
    Did you ever get you answer on the .tbx <extensionimage> question. I have the same question. Also, what is a .tbx? I see no writeup of how to modify it or update it.
    Thanks
    Hi Ghaynes,

No, I had to reuse the existing icons of MyFirst.tbx because I did not find out how it works. There is a .exe called TbxImageEncoder in System Architect root, perhaps is a good point to start from.

Thanks and regards,
    Roberto.
  • WarrenLeslie
    WarrenLeslie
    15 Posts

‏2012-05-16T18:09:56Z  
    Hi Ghaynes,

No, I had to reuse the existing icons of MyFirst.tbx because I did not find out how it works. There is a .exe called TbxImageEncoder in System Architect root, perhaps is a good point to start from.

Thanks and regards,
    Roberto.
    The string of information between the tag start and end is a base 64 encoded string of the binary image file. See the below vba code for one of many ways to do this.

Public Sub EncodeFile()
    '***********************************************************************************************************
    '* PURPOSE: This routine reads a BMP image file and converts it to a string for use in XML *
    '* *
    '* INPUTS: Specified file *
    '* *
    '* OUTPUTS: A base60 string displayed in the utility form for cut and paste *
    '* *
    '* GLOBALS AFFECTED: None *
    '* *
    '* ASSUMPTIONS: None *
    '* *
    '* NOTES: Run standalone *
    '* *
    '* DEPENDENCIES: None *
    '* *
    '***********************************************************************************************************
    Const adTypeBinary = 1 ' Binary file is encoded
    Dim strEncodeString As String
    Dim strPicPath As String
    Dim objXML
    Dim objDocElem
    Dim objStream

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\colorchange.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\diagramcheck.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\enterprocesssteps.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Review16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z2Approve16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z3List16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z4Promote16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A1_Import_Export16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A2_Identity_Importer16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A3_SCCM Server Import16X16.bmp"

strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Review16X16.bmp"

' Open data stream from picture
    Set objStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    objStream.Type = adTypeBinary
    objStream.Open
    objStream.LoadFromFile (strPicPath)

' Create XML Document object and root node
    ' that will contain the data
    Set objXML = CreateObject("MSXml2.DOMDocument")
    Set objDocElem = objXML.createElement("Base64Data")
    objDocElem.dataType = "bin.base64"

' Set binary value
    objDocElem.nodeTypedValue = objStream.Read()

' Get base64 value
    strEncodeString = objDocElem.Text

frmUtility.txtDisplay.Value = strEncodeString

frmUtility.Show
    ' Clean all
    Set objXML = Nothing
    Set objDocElem = Nothing
    Set objStream = Nothing
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

ErrorHandler "Error occurred in Process - fnSymbolIsDefined"

End Sub
    bmp, png, jpg 16X16 files is all I have tried.
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    102 Posts

‏2012-05-17T07:27:31Z  
    The string of information between the tag start and end is a base 64 encoded string of the binary image file. See the below vba code for one of many ways to do this.

Public Sub EncodeFile()
    '* PURPOSE: This routine reads a BMP image file and converts it to a string for use in XML *
    '* *
    '* INPUTS: Specified file *
    '* *
    '* OUTPUTS: A base60 string displayed in the utility form for cut and paste *
    '* *
    '* GLOBALS AFFECTED: None *
    '* *
    '* ASSUMPTIONS: None *
    '* *
    '* NOTES: Run standalone *
    '* *
    '* DEPENDENCIES: None *
    '* *
    Const adTypeBinary = 1 ' Binary file is encoded
    Dim strEncodeString As String
    Dim strPicPath As String
    Dim objXML
    Dim objDocElem
    Dim objStream

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\colorchange.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\diagramcheck.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\enterprocesssteps.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Review16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z2Approve16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z3List16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Z4Promote16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A1_Import_Export16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A2_Identity_Importer16X16.bmp"
    'strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\A3_SCCM Server Import16X16.bmp"

strPicPath = "G:\systemarchitect\Macros\Development\MenuButtonStuff\Review16X16.bmp"

' Open data stream from picture
    Set objStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    objStream.Type = adTypeBinary
    objStream.Open
    objStream.LoadFromFile (strPicPath)

' Create XML Document object and root node
    ' that will contain the data
    Set objXML = CreateObject("MSXml2.DOMDocument")
    Set objDocElem = objXML.createElement("Base64Data")
    objDocElem.dataType = "bin.base64"

' Set binary value
    objDocElem.nodeTypedValue = objStream.Read()

' Get base64 value
    strEncodeString = objDocElem.Text

frmUtility.txtDisplay.Value = strEncodeString

frmUtility.Show
    ' Clean all
    Set objXML = Nothing
    Set objDocElem = Nothing
    Set objStream = Nothing
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

ErrorHandler "Error occurred in Process - fnSymbolIsDefined"

End Sub
    bmp, png, jpg 16X16 files is all I have tried.
    Thank you very much Warren!