Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-07T18:33:27Z by kolban
jmac_EmeriCon
jmac_EmeriCon
279 Posts

Pinned topic Process Instance Termination

‏2011-10-25T14:56:24Z |
I am attempting to terminate an instance using ProcessInstance.abort(). The API call seems to work (i.e. the instance does get terminated) but it always throws the following exception:

dispose() called but runner on top of stack not 

this runner.  Need to enable trace to get runner creation location.

I have looked for an explanation but have not found one as of yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
Updated on 2012-05-07T18:33:27Z at 2012-05-07T18:33:27Z by kolban
  • YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    4 Posts

Re: Process Instance Termination

‏2011-11-07T16:55:40Z  
    I got the samen problem, could anybody answer the question?
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2011-11-07T19:07:17Z  
    I got the samen problem, could anybody answer the question?
    What release of the product are y'all using?

Neil
  • YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    4 Posts

‏2011-11-07T19:11:43Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2011-11-07T19:07:17Z
    What release of the product are y'all using?

Neil
    i am using 7.2.
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2011-11-08T02:35:02Z  
    i am using 7.2.
    Where are you getting the ProcessInstance object from? Can you post some sample code? Are you trying to abort the current process instance (i.e. the one in which the code is running) or are you trying to abort another instance of a process? What is your functional intent in calling abort?

Neil
  • YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    4 Posts

‏2011-11-08T09:37:56Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2011-11-08T02:35:02Z
    Where are you getting the ProcessInstance object from? Can you post some sample code? Are you trying to abort the current process instance (i.e. the one in which the code is running) or are you trying to abort another instance of a process? What is your functional intent in calling abort?

Neil
    when I am trying to abort another instance from the current instance with following code, the error occured. 1000 is the instance id which I want to abort.
    tw.system.findProcessInstanceByID("1000").abort();
    When i try to abort the current instance, it is working fine, no error occured.
    tw.system.currentProcessInstance.abort();
  • jmac_EmeriCon
    jmac_EmeriCon
    279 Posts

‏2011-11-08T14:14:38Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2011-11-08T02:35:02Z

Neil
    I am getting the instance from a TWSearch. The code runs in a separate Human Task (eventually will be a portal page). The same code runs suspend and resume just fine, so this is definitely something in the abort api call (my opinion).

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2011-11-08T16:48:49Z  
    I am getting the instance from a TWSearch. The code runs in a separate Human Task (eventually will be a portal page). The same code runs suspend and resume just fine, so this is definitely something in the abort api call (my opinion).

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    Try calling suspend prior to the abort. Not sure that will fix it, but it is worth a try.
  • YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    YFEN_gongyao_zheng
    4 Posts

‏2011-11-08T22:13:05Z  
    Try calling suspend prior to the abort. Not sure that will fix it, but it is worth a try.
    i have tried this, but it is the same result.
  • jmac_EmeriCon
    jmac_EmeriCon
    279 Posts

‏2011-11-08T22:43:40Z  
    I changed my code to look like this

for (var i = 0; i < tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers.listLength; i++) 
    {   var instance = tw.system.findTaskByID(tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers[i]).processInstance; instance.suspend(); instance.abort(); 
    }

IMO, I only go through the loop once since only 1 task was selected.

I still get the same errors. I attached the stack trace for what it is worth.

Thanks for the help

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2011-11-09T03:19:55Z  
    <pre class="jive-pre"> for (var i = 0; i < tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers.listLength; i++) { var instance = tw.system.findTaskByID(tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers[i]).processInstance; instance.suspend(); instance.abort(); } </pre>

Thanks for the help

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    I am going to make a "guess" that the abort() method is only allowed to be called (from JavaScript) in the context of the process to be aborted. I.e. we can have a process "commit suicide" but we can't "murder another process" (sorry for the prose). I could be far, far wrong here ... but that would seem to match what we are all seeing. I also wonder where the security permissions for process instance termination exist? Who is allowed to terminate which process instances?

Is there a REST API that can be called to terminate a process instance?

Neil
  • JoelKris
    JoelKris
    26 Posts

‏2011-11-18T19:20:16Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2011-11-09T03:19:55Z
    I am going to make a "guess" that the abort() method is only allowed to be called (from JavaScript) in the context of the process to be aborted. I.e. we can have a process "commit suicide" but we can't "murder another process" (sorry for the prose). I could be far, far wrong here ... but that would seem to match what we are all seeing. I also wonder where the security permissions for process instance termination exist? Who is allowed to terminate which process instances?

Is there a REST API that can be called to terminate a process instance?

Neil
    tw.system.findProcessInstanceByID("100").abort(); works fine in 7.5

You will get an error in the designer that findProcessInstanceByID IS UNKNOWN but you can just proceed implementing them.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2011-11-28T06:10:23Z  
    <pre class="jive-pre"> for (var i = 0; i < tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers.listLength; i++) { var instance = tw.system.findTaskByID(tw.local.selectedTaskNumbers[i]).processInstance; instance.suspend(); instance.abort(); } </pre>

Thanks for the help

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    I too had a similar requirement to allow admin role user to kill instances from a standalone service under My Project link. As using abort API was always showing the error page despite catching and burying the exception, I had to change the process design and make use of UCA to get the job done. This was a tedious task, but a cleaner approach.

Another option that is not so clean is to add an adhoc start node in the BPD and directly end it. Then in the service to terminate the instance, use the process instance variable to get the node reference and invoke it. I had tested this approach too and it worked on WLE 7.1

Hope this helps to folks who are using v7.2 or lower.

Regards,
    RM
  • praveenkd
    praveenkd
    8 Posts

‏2012-05-07T18:28:12Z  
    I too had a similar requirement to allow admin role user to kill instances from a standalone service under My Project link. As using abort API was always showing the error page despite catching and burying the exception, I had to change the process design and make use of UCA to get the job done. This was a tedious task, but a cleaner approach.

Another option that is not so clean is to add an adhoc start node in the BPD and directly end it. Then in the service to terminate the instance, use the process instance variable to get the node reference and invoke it. I had tested this approach too and it worked on WLE 7.1

Hope this helps to folks who are using v7.2 or lower.

Regards,
    RM
    Hi
    Can you please explain how you terminated instance using UCA? Did you create intermediate messae event on bpd ?
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2012-05-07T18:33:27Z  
    • praveenkd
    • ‏2012-05-07T18:28:12Z
    Hi
    Can you please explain how you terminated instance using UCA? Did you create intermediate messae event on bpd ?
    Hi there,
    You can send a message to a process instance using UCA. What the process does when it receives the event is up to you but could include killing itself.

There are alternate ways (I think). For example, you could use an Ad-Hoc event or you could use the REST API to terminate the process. I think the bigger question is "What do you want to use and what do you want to happen?"

Neil