Topic
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-11-16T09:14:37Z by huseyintopcu
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
59 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic What Mobile Tech Preview samples running on OS X?

‏2011-10-24T22:33:52Z |
Hi,
from
~/MobileTechPreview-android-O-20110930-2024/documentation/ProjectSetup.html#id3
reading the section "Preparing the Eclipse Development Environment"
"The Android SDK requires that a Sun Java SDK be installed and available in order to build and sign Android applications."

Looking at the Android SDK download site there is a version for the Apple Mac OS X.

The WebSphere Application Server V8.5 Alpha Liberty Profile is running on my OSX 10.6.8 machine.

What is the experience of getting the Mobile Tech Preview samples running on an OS X machine with Eclipse Indigo SR 1, WAS V8.5 Alpha Liberty Profile?

Thank you for your comments,
regards, Chris
Updated on 2011-11-16T09:14:37Z at 2011-11-16T09:14:37Z by huseyintopcu
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    59 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: What Mobile Tech Preview samples running on OS X?

‏2011-10-26T04:07:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We definitely have team members developing on Apple Mac OS X for the Tech Preview. In addition, our build servers are using Mac OS X at the moment. Please post any problems or concerns to this post.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      59 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-26T21:17:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Todd,
      thanks for your comments. I am stumbling ahead on my Mac.
      Following
      ~/MobileTechPreview-android-O-20110930-2024/documentation/ProjectSetup.html

I am in the "Customizing The Build Environment" section. I am adding the "MyVirtualTablet". Selecting the "Create AVD" button the Eclipse console reports,
      "Unable to find a 'userdata.img' file for ABI armeabi to copy into the AVD folder."
      See attached file.

Using the OSX Spotlight the file "userdata.img" is not located. Reviewing my steps, I am not finding my error.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your assistance,
      regards, Chris
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        59 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-28T11:35:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I believe you need to use the Android SDK Manager to add that ARM EABI processor support to your local SDK. Attaching a pic of the SDK Manager that has installed support for "ARM EABI v7a System Image".

Go back to updates/new, select this feature, and add it to your local SDK.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          59 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-28T15:04:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Once you add that support, you should see the option in the create AVD window (see attachment)
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            59 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re:Getting Mobile Techi Preview samples running on OS X

‏2011-10-28T18:09:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Jeff,
            thanks for your help. My problem was not to select the button for installing six packages. See attached file.

Now I am able to successfully install a "MyVirtualTablet". With the panel "Edit Android Virtual Device (AVD)" I validated that my device has the same values as yours.

regards, Chris
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            59 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-28T22:19:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi,

My current hypothesis is that the environment I am using is not configured correctly.
            Setting up a Library in the build path for “android.jar” resolved
            “Cannot find the class file for android.os.Bundle”
            error.
            Another Android resource, 'android-8' is reported in the Marker tab,
            “Unable to resolve target 'android-8' sample-mysurance-android”
            remains.

My needing to manually set "android.jar" a symptom of a bigger problem.

Looking at
            ~/MobileTechPreview-android-O-20110930-2024/documentation/ProjectSetup.html#preparing-the-eclipse-development-environment
            >>>
            Set the following environment variables to your installed locations (the example given is for a sample Linux install):
            export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java-1.6.0
            export ANDROID_HOME=~/bin/android-sdk-linux_x86
            export SDK_ROOT=~/bin/android-sdk-linux_x86
            export PATH=$PATH:$SDK_ROOT/tools
            <<<

I start my Eclipse environment with OS X Spotlight and key “Eclipse.app”.

How do I set the needed environment variables on OS X 10.6.8 for the “sample-mysurance-android” application?
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              59 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-31T03:47:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi,
              did some searching on the http://developer.apple.com site and came up with a very short script,

export ANDROID_HOME=~/android-sdks
              export SDK_ROOT=~/android-sdks
              export PATH=$PATH:$SDK_ROOT/tools
              open /Users/chrisclark/Downloads/eclipse/Eclipse.app

The above gets me past
              "Unable to resolve target 'android-8' sample-mysurance-android".

When I select the "sample-android-mysurance" project,
              "Run As" > "Android Application"

I receive the following in the "Console",
              "sample-mysurance-android] Could not find sample-mysurance-android.apk!"

In my browing of the Web
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APK_(file_format)
              "Android application package file (APK) is the file format used to distribute and install application software and middleware onto the Google Android operating system. To make an APK file, a program for Android is first compiled, and then all of its parts are packaged into one file. This holds all of that program's code such as (.dex files), resources, assets, certificates, and manifest file."

My Eclipse indstance has the default option "Project" > "Build Automatically".
              The "Clean..." option does not change what I see with "Run As".

I deleted and re imported "sample-android-mysurance". No change in the results of "Run As".

How do I get the "sample-mysurance-android.apk" built?

regards, Chris
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                59 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-04T02:32:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Chris,

I'm wondering how you generated the eclipse project and whether you're running into similar issues documented in this thread https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=394887&tstart=0. Is there anything in the errors tab? Seems possible that eclipse doesn't know you have any source (see the other thread), so its not building anything.

It might also help to know what levels of Android SDK Tools you are using.

We have updated the IBM Mobile Technology Preview tonight. There's nothing that should make any difference in your case, but it is fresher code.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  59 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-05T03:58:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Chris,
                  Confirming that Mac+Eclipse+Android+Mobile Tech Preview are working here. I used the new drop of the tech preview code, with the instructions to use File->New->Project->Android->Android Project to import. I ran into a curious error about the expiration of my debug certificate and had to find and delete ~/.debug.keystore and let it be regenerated. I believe that was a relic of having used the Android SDK on this machine at some point in 2010. That issue was clearly displayed in the Problems tab.
        • huseyintopcu
          huseyintopcu
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-16T09:14:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          You need to do further the following: Open Android SDK Manager -> Packages, select Show Archives Details, and click on ARM EABI v7a System Image, then you will see appear Archive for any OS and select and install it. Now, you can create an AVD with no problem.