• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-10-27T02:40:49Z by Saruton
Saruton
Saruton
111 Posts

Pinned topic Problem when launching with submission-time value on Eclipse

‏2011-10-21T04:02:43Z |
Hi ALL,

I got a problem when I launched distributed mode application on Eclipse with submission-time value.
The following error message was displayed:

Canceled job: 4 on streams@streamsadmin
Launch:test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x-Main-Distributed failed. Job submission exception: There were one or more problems with the supplied job submission parameters
Launch Detail: -P "Main.value_1=Hello!" /home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/.tempLaunch/Distributed.Main.adl

"Main.value_1=Hello!" should be Main.value_1="Hello!", I guss, right?
Have you encountered this problem?

Thanks,
  • Jason T
    Jason T
    31 Posts

Re: Problem when launching with submission-time value on Eclipse

‏2011-10-21T14:56:00Z  
    Hello,

Can you please send me a sample program showing your issue?

Thank You,
    Jason
  • Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2011-10-24T04:19:16Z  
    • Jason T
    • ‏2011-10-21T14:56:00Z
    Hello,

Can you please send me a sample program showing your issue?

Thank You,
    Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry for being late my reply.

Here is the SPL code:

composite Main {
    graph
    stream< rstring data > DataSource = FileSource() {
    param file: "SourceData.dat";
    }

stream < rstring data, rstring value_1 > Add_1 = Functor( DataSource ) {
    output Add_1: value_1 = getSubmissionTimeValue( "value_1" );
    }

() as MySink = FileSink( Add_1 ) {
    param file: "SinkData.dat";
    }
    }

This works properly in standalone mode on Eclipse IDE. The console message in standalone mode is the following:

Launching:/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/output/Main/Standalone/bin/standalone -c -d3 Main.value_1=Hello!

I tried at Streams Ver.2.0.0.1.

Thanks,
  • Jason T
    Jason T
    31 Posts

‏2011-10-24T19:54:41Z  
    Hello Uchiyama-san,

We tried your sample code in house and it ran successfully in both standalone and distributed modes. We would like to examine your PE logs for your failed job. The following link will explain how to collect the PE logs.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v2r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.studio.doc%2Ftasks%2Ftmonitoring-spl-projects-showing-pe-logs.html

If you could please pass along the PE logs for the failing job or even all logs that would be very helpful.

Thank You,
    Jason
  • Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2011-10-25T01:51:07Z  
    • Jason T
    • ‏2011-10-24T19:54:41Z
    Hello Uchiyama-san,

We tried your sample code in house and it ran successfully in both standalone and distributed modes. We would like to examine your PE logs for your failed job. The following link will explain how to collect the PE logs.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v2r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.studio.doc%2Ftasks%2Ftmonitoring-spl-projects-showing-pe-logs.html

If you could please pass along the PE logs for the failing job or even all logs that would be very helpful.

Thank You,
    Jason
    Hello, Jason-san,

Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately I can't retrieve PE log because this error occurs during launching a job.

By the way, I CAN launch application from command line as following:

bash-3.2$ streamtool submitjob -P value_1=*"Hello"* Main.adl
    CDISC0079I Submitting 1 application to instance 'streams@streamsadmin'...
    CDISC0080I Job 3 was submitted for application 'Main.adl'.
    CDISC0020I Submitted job: 3

On the contrary, when I launch it from Eclipse IDE :

Launch:test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x-Main-Distributed failed. Job submission exception: There were one or more problems with the supplied job submission parameters
    Launch Detail: -P "Main.value_1=Hello" /home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/.tempLaunch/Distributed.Main.adl

The difference between them is the range double-quoted. In addition I found something on 'Edit Configuration' dialog window displayed before launching application. In this window there is 'SPL Application to launch' field and the value shown below is displayed as default:

/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/output/Main/Distributed/Main.adl

This .adl file is used in the example of command line mode shown above. I think this .adl file should be used in the case of Eclipse IDE according to the specification, but the error message shows that different .adl file is used.(/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/.tempLaunch/Distributed.Main.adl).

I attached both .adl files.
    hmm...dis I make a mistake in something??? :'(

Attachments

• kjerick
    kjerick
    227 Posts

‏2011-10-25T18:32:48Z  
    • Saruton
    • ‏2011-10-24T04:19:16Z
    Hi Jason,
    Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry for being late my reply.

Here is the SPL code:

composite Main {
    graph
    stream< rstring data > DataSource = FileSource() {
    param file: "SourceData.dat";
    }

stream < rstring data, rstring value_1 > Add_1 = Functor( DataSource ) {
    output Add_1: value_1 = getSubmissionTimeValue( "value_1" );
    }

() as MySink = FileSink( Add_1 ) {
    param file: "SinkData.dat";
    }
    }

This works properly in standalone mode on Eclipse IDE. The console message in standalone mode is the following:

Launching:/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/output/Main/Standalone/bin/standalone -c -d3 Main.value_1=Hello!

I tried at Streams Ver.2.0.0.1.

Thanks,
    Hi Saruton,

Since I see you tried this with a 2.0.0.1 installation, I tried this with both a 2.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.2 installation. I saw the same problem as you did when I ran 2.0.0.0, but the job submitted fine with my 2.0.0.2 installation. I will check with development to see if they are aware of this and if there was a specific fix for the problem in 2.0.0.2.

Best regards,
    Kevin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1245 Posts

‏2011-10-25T21:48:06Z  
    • Saruton
    • ‏2011-10-25T01:51:07Z
    Hello, Jason-san,

Unfortunately I can't retrieve PE log because this error occurs during launching a job.

Launch Detail: -P "Main.value_1=Hello" /home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/.tempLaunch/Distributed.Main.adl

The difference between them is the range double-quoted. In addition I found something on 'Edit Configuration' dialog window displayed before launching application. In this window there is 'SPL Application to launch' field and the value shown below is displayed as default:

/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/output/Main/Distributed/Main.adl

This .adl file is used in the example of command line mode shown above. I think this .adl file should be used in the case of Eclipse IDE according to the specification, but the error message shows that different .adl file is used.(/home/streamsadmin/workspace/test_getSubmissionTimeValue_x/.tempLaunch/Distributed.Main.adl).

As Kevin reported above, this problem seems to exist in 2.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.1 but no longer exists in the 2.0.0.2 fix release. (I have not been able to determine if this problem was specifically fixed or if the problem was fixed due to other changes/fixes.)

It appears that this problem is related to the fact that your main composite is in the default namespace (no declared namespace). If you put your main composite into a named namespace, you should be able to successfully launch the job using Streams Studio with your specified submission time values.

Regards,
    Paul Allen
  • Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2011-10-26T03:01:53Z  
    As Kevin reported above, this problem seems to exist in 2.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.1 but no longer exists in the 2.0.0.2 fix release. (I have not been able to determine if this problem was specifically fixed or if the problem was fixed due to other changes/fixes.)

It appears that this problem is related to the fact that your main composite is in the default namespace (no declared namespace). If you put your main composite into a named namespace, you should be able to successfully launch the job using Streams Studio with your specified submission time values.

Regards,
    Paul Allen
    Hello Kevin & Paul,

Thank you for your help!
    I could launch the job properly with specification of namespace.
    I don't have 2.0.0.2 environment yet, so I'm going to avoid the problem by this way.

Thank you ever so much!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1245 Posts

‏2011-10-26T14:10:57Z  
    • Saruton
    • ‏2011-10-26T03:01:53Z
    Hello Kevin & Paul,

Thank you for your help!
    I could launch the job properly with specification of namespace.
    I don't have 2.0.0.2 environment yet, so I'm going to avoid the problem by this way.

Thank you ever so much!
    I just wanted to follow up on this issue. I found out that there was a bug with handling submission time values for main composites in the default namespace. The bug was specific to the interfaces being used by Streams Studio, but not the command line. The bug was fixed in 2.0.0.2.

Also the problem you encountered was not related to how the "key=value" is quoted. This is the proper quoting to have the key/value pair be interpreted as a single value for the -P option.

Regards,
    Paul Allen
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1245 Posts

‏2011-10-26T14:30:23Z  
    • Saruton
    • ‏2011-10-25T01:51:07Z
    Hello, Jason-san,

I also wanted to explain the use of the ADL in the .tempLaunch directory. You noticed that although the launch configuration specifies the ADL file in the your build configuration's output directory, the actual ADL file being submitted by Streams Studio was in the .tempLaunch directory.

Streams Studio creates a temporary duplicate ADL file for submission in order to set the Output Level (Error, Info, Debug, Trace) for the PEs in the job.

Regards,
    Paul Allen
  • Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2011-10-27T02:40:49Z  
    I also wanted to explain the use of the ADL in the .tempLaunch directory. You noticed that although the launch configuration specifies the ADL file in the your build configuration's output directory, the actual ADL file being submitted by Streams Studio was in the .tempLaunch directory.

Streams Studio creates a temporary duplicate ADL file for submission in order to set the Output Level (Error, Info, Debug, Trace) for the PEs in the job.

Regards,
    Paul Allen
    Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply!
    I could correct my misunderstanding. I couldn't have done it without your detail description! :-)

Since I'm interested in detail of ADL file, I'm going to look into it.

Thanks,