9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-02T08:35:10Z by SystemAdmin
R.SchmitzSEBAB
R.SchmitzSEBAB
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Connection Problem CICS Explorer - CPSM/CMI

‏2011-10-19T12:40:55Z |
Hello everybody,

I am trying to connect to a CICCSPlex System (same problem for CICSPlex Data Interface as CMI) which has worked before but does not any more.
It works from my colleague's machines, so the CICS parameters must be ok.

When I am trying to connect I get a
CNX0104E Connection failed with exception Read timed out

I attached a Trace, if anybody could have a look.

Thank you very much

Rainer Schmitz
Updated on 2012-01-02T08:35:10Z at 2012-01-02T08:35:10Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Connection Problem CICS Explorer - CPSM/CMI

‏2011-10-25T10:59:24Z  in response to R.SchmitzSEBAB
    Hi there Rainer,

Apologies for the slow reply. Thanks for getting in touch with us - it's great that you're using CICS Explorer, hopefully we can get you going.

I've had a look at the trace you've provided, but it's not clear what's happening. Our connection appears to time out after just 1 second which makes me suspicious that you're not managing to make the connection at all.

Could you try/answer a few things for me?

1) What has changed since you were last able to connect? Unless it's an upgrade to explorer, I would tend to think that the fix would be out of our control.

2) Looking at your log, you're using an SM Data connection - the URL Explorer tries to access is this: http://10.250.70.1:3012/CICSPlexSM/ENU1/RSCHMIT/DATA/CONNECT
    Could you try and access this using a web browser? If I do similar on my system, a file gets downloaded in response.

3) If the file can be downloaded, could you check your firewall settings?

4) Would be great to get a matching trace from your colleague's working machine directly after connecting to the same system, if the above two steps don't help you towards a result.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    • R.SchmitzSEBAB
      R.SchmitzSEBAB
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-25T13:47:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hello Dave.
      Thanks for your reply. I try to answer your questions...

1) Regarding my changes: to be honest, I have no idea what I changed. I "played" with options and other things - and somewhen the connection
      failed with the described failure-code.
      2) Regarding the access using a web browser: it worked and I got the same result as you ...
      3) Regarding the firewall: In this constructin the firewall is not involved. We stay with it in our INTRAnet. We use the firewall only when leaving
      the intra- and going to the INTERnet !
      4) Regarding the trace: it seems that it is not necessary ! I asked my colleague to test - and he had the same connection-problem (readtime out).
      Now we both "played" again. We changed all option and tried to connect each time afterwards.
      And one combined change was successfull:
      >> In the --> Window --> Preferences --> General we changed:
      --> Network Connections set: Restore Defaults
      --> Perspectives set: Restore Defaults

Now the connection to CMI and CPSM works again !
      My first problem seems to be solved, but there are others to come !

Regards
      Rainer Schmitz
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        270 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-25T14:57:33Z  in response to R.SchmitzSEBAB
        Hi Rainer,

I wonder if it's possible you'd set a proxy somehow?

Anyway - I'm glad that you've managed to resolve this, although slightly concerned that we're not sure what caused it!

Do get back in touch with any other questions and we'll see if we can help!

Dave
        • R.SchmitzSEBAB
          R.SchmitzSEBAB
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T08:59:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Dave.
          I'm shure, that I had not set a proxy ...

But short back to our problem:
          That what I described: to set the 2 values back to standard has to be done each time I start my Explorer (normaly every day)!
          Although I do not change any option or sth else. After logon I change the 2 values and connect to the appropriate Connection-types
          (CPSM, CIA and zOS f.e.) And in the evening I logoff without any further change. But the next morning I have the same old problem !
          And we are relative shure, that this problem appeared with our last (the latest) update ! Perhaps it is a problem in principle ?

Another issue:
          Perhaps you can help me with another problem (if it is really a problem - I'm not shure):
          I work with the CIA-plugin in Explorer. I select first a region, than with the right mousekey: show resources. In the next menu I select one of the found transactions and click on it with the right mousekey and immediatly a failure-message appears in the error-log (although I can work with the right mosekey-menu and do further selections): "Could not find new menu: transaction" and "Es ist kein Stack-Trace für Ausnahmebedingungen verfügbar." and "eclipse.buildId=unknown
          java.fullversion=JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Windows XP x86-32 jvmwi3260sr9-20110203_74623 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
          J9VM - 20110203_074623
          JIT - r9_20101028_17488ifx3
          GC - 20101027_AA
          BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
          Framework arguments: -showlocation
          Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -data ./workspace -showlocation"

My question: Is that a problem ? And is it located in the CIA-part or is it an Explorer-problem ?
          Thanks in advance !

Regards
          Rainer Schmitz
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            270 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-03T15:51:48Z  in response to R.SchmitzSEBAB
            Hi Rainer,

Apologies for the delay.

I'm a bit confused about your connections problem - the symptoms you describe and the method of fixing them is unexpected.

I don't expect that resetting the perspectives would affect whether we could connect to a system or not. Resetting the network connections could affect this, however, if one of the settings in the panel changes when you click reset.

Could you verify the following for me, please?
            1) Both you and your colleague experience the same symptoms consistently (i.e. he sees it every day like you)
            2) The problem recurs every time you start CICS Explorer (i.e. if you make a do your resetting, make a connection, close explorer, open again immediately, you are unable to reconnect)
            3) Can you confirm whether JUST resetting the network connections preferences and not the perspectives resolves the problem
            4) When the Explorer will not connect, and you reset the network connections preferences, does anything change in the panel? Is it easy for you to provide a screenshot of your network connections panel?
            5) In preferences, under Install/Update, Automatic Updates, do you have "Automatically find new updates and notify me" set?

If we are not able to identify anything likely via this diagnostic, I might need to ask you to try a brand new workspace and see if the problem reoccurs.

I passed the 2nd part of your problem onto an IA engineer and he is investigating.

Dave
            • R.SchmitzSEBAB
              R.SchmitzSEBAB
              6 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-04T10:05:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Could you verify the following for me, please?
              >>>>> Please see the answers:

1) Both you and your colleague experience the same symptoms consistently (i.e. he sees it every day like you)
              >>>>> The answer is: YES
              2) The problem recurs every time you start CICS Explorer (i.e. if you make a do your resetting, make a connection, close explorer, open again immediately, you are unable to reconnect)
              >>>>> The answer is: YES, but: only for the 2 components:
              CICS Management Interface & CICSPLEX SM Data Interface
              The connection to System z – FTP and to Interdependency
              Analyzer work without problem (no reset necessary)
              3) Can you confirm whether JUST resetting the network connections preferences and not the perspectives resolves the problem
              >>>>> The answer is: YES - A reset of the perspectives is in deed n o t
              necessary (I don’t know, why we got another test-result in the past
              weeks)
              4) When the Explorer will not connect, and you reset the network connections preferences, does anything change in the panel? Is it easy for you to provide a screenshot of your network connections panel?
              >>>>> The answer is: NO – as far as I can see, there is no change !

5) In preferences, under Install/Update, Automatic Updates, do you have "Automatically find new updates and notify me" set?
              >>>>> The answer is: YES – I get a hint on updates each time I start the
              Explorer !
              >>>>> But: when I try to implement them before I reset the network
              connection, I get the following error-messages:
              >>>>> Now I have 2 different cases:
              1) the first time, I could – (only) after reset the network and
              connecting to one (any) component – implement the updates.
              At least I get no failure-message !
              2) After restarting the Explorer I always got the above shown
              failure-messages, before and after resetting and connecting…
              > To be honest: I am confused about this behaviour ….
              If we are not able to identify anything likely via this diagnostic, I might need to ask you to try a brand new workspace and see if the problem reoccurs.

>>>>> That is my current used workspace-setting:
              C:\Program Files\IBM\cicsts_explorer_win32_v1100\CICS_Explorer(cicsexplorer.ini)
              -startup
              plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
              --launcher.library
              plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.2.R36x_v20101222
              -data
              ./workspace
              -showlocation
              -vmargs
              -Dorg.eclipse.swt.accessibility.UseIA2=false
              • StewartFrancis
                StewartFrancis
                5 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-28T19:07:29Z  in response to R.SchmitzSEBAB
                Hi Rainer,

Thanks for your reply. I took a look at your screenshots of your Network Connections eclipse preferences in your attachment and it seems that Eclipse is automatically picking up some proxy settings from your operating system, which is probably why the bad settings get reapplied on startup. Here's a link to the relevant part of the eclipse documentation:

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Freference%2Fref-net-preferences.htm

Active Provider: Native will cause eclipse to look use any platform-provided proxy settings. You should be able to remedy this situation by taking any of the following actions:

1) Set Active Provider to Direct - This will cause eclipse not to use any proxy support
                2) Set Active Provider to Manual - This will cause eclipse to stop using the proxy settings provided by your operating system
                3) Find out where eclipse is picking up the proxy settings from and removing them!

After you're done I'd do one last reset of the Network Connections preferences, and hopefully normal service will be resumed!

Hope this helps,

Stew
                • R.SchmitzSEBAB
                  R.SchmitzSEBAB
                  6 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-09T10:22:52Z  in response to StewartFrancis
                  Hi Stew.
                  Thanks for your information.
                  I tried both ways: I have set the provider to Direct and to Manual and both parameter solve the problem. I will use Manual in the future...
                  Regarding the proxy settings: I have no idea where the proxy-values are taken from (localhost / 127.0.0.1 ?) But that is not my main problem at the moment...

Regards

Rainer
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  270 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-02T08:35:10Z  in response to StewartFrancis
                  Thanks a lot, Stew, we spent hours without finding the error.
                  Would it make sense to create a Technote on that?
                  Regards, Isabel