Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-10-27T17:21:44Z by JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
13 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic FSM 4.5 Failing to fully initialize database

‏2011-10-17T21:06:18Z |
My company is working on our FSM installation in production. I have installed it an configured it in dev/testing with no issues. I have installed versions 4.0.1, then FP6, and then 4.5 as both an upgrade and a clean install. Everything has worked very well in our non-prod environment.

In production, however, the installer finishes with a return code 0 (successful install), but it fails to fully populate the database. For example, RBAC_USRTYPES has only Internal and RBAC_USRS has only master, which is an internal type and locked to logging on. This was on a fresh database, the DB account is dbo schema and has the roles db_owner, db_datareader, db_datawriter, and public.

This is frustrating as the application clearly has the ability to create table objects and add constraints. Also, it can clearly insert data into the database. It just doesn't initialize the database with all of the data. I have tried this install from multiple other environments to other databases with the same issue. It is getting to the point where the non-prod install (which I did a few times to try things out) is the anomoly.

My environment is Windows Server 2003 for the FSM Server, FSM Server 4.5 (and then hotfix 1), using the embeded jetty engine. The databse is MSSQL 2005 (-- I have tested on 2005 and 2008. The working non-prod is 2005) with MS-jdbc 3.0 (though I am successfully using 2.0 for the non-prod environment, and tried it in prod). The network connection is gigabit and stable between FSM server and DB server, and I have even tried with with FSM & DB on the same host.

I realize I am probably missing something obviously, but I just can't figure it out. I have run this in debug mode and am even going over a SQL Profiler trace (lots of fun). I get the following lines in the sever.{#}.log file. It hasn't been too much use to me due to the seemingly proprietary wording of the error.

Here is the log output. It's 3 entries and the log cycles through these 3 with the different things it is doing. This is the first instance in the list:

INFO: Creating treeitem 'de.cenit.eb.sm.finca.gui.application.login.state
Oct 17, 2011 2:02:27 PM Component Resolve Thread finca.functional.dblayer.rbac
WARNING: Perform database rollback for transaction 1822 : Unsupported event time format
2011-10-17 21:02:27.000 -0700 GMT-07:00(Exception: Unsupported event time format
2011-10-17 21:02:27.000 -0700 GMT-07:00)
Oct 17, 2011 2:02:27 PM Component Resolve Thread finca.helper.initializer
SEVERE: Could not create the tree item 'de.cenit.eb.sm.finca.gui.application.login.state
Oct 17, 2011 2:02:27 PM Component Resolve Thread finca.helper.initializer
Updated on 2011-10-27T17:21:44Z at 2011-10-27T17:21:44Z by JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
  • JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: FSM 4.5 Failing to fully initialize database

‏2011-10-20T15:34:39Z  in response to JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    As an update, I have changed default loggint from SEVERE to ALL and am running initdb.cmd -install from <cenit_root>/server. I've also set it to a max of 100 logs (10MB each) since it generates a TON of data in comparison to SEVERE. If I find an answer, I will post here.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear any suggestions or ideas.
  • JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-22T20:00:16Z  in response to JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    I seem to have narrowed this down to one of the many Windows updates.

I have tested this theory by trying a different database engine and jdbc driver (removing MSSQL and MS JDBC out of the equation). I have also tested with a base XP SP2 install (I know, not supported, just testing) and FSM 4.5 installed and populated the database correctly.

I am now going to start with a base Server 2003 install and install updates one at a time to find which update causes the issue.

If anyone is already aware of any Windows updates that cause issues with FSM 4.5, feel free to post here as I'd rather focus my efforts than make shots in the general direction.
  • JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T15:46:15Z  in response to JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    I am still at a loss with this one. Windows update doesn't appear to be the issue, though I'm not sure what is at this time. What I have done so far:

Installed to a Windows Server 2003 non-production corporate environment - Database initialized fine.
    Installed to a Server 2003 production corporate environemtn -- Database did not initialize fine.
    Installed to a Windows XP Professional corproate PC -- Database did not initialize fine.
    Installed to a Server 2003 VM environment that connects to its own domain controller, no domain policies defined -- Database did not initialize fine.
    Installed to a Server 2003 VM environment, not on domain connecting to DB on domain -- Database did not intialize fine.
    Installed to a Windows XP Professional VM environment, not in domain connecting to DB on domain -- Database initialized fine.
    So, the only 2 that work are the Server 2003 non production domain PC and the Windows XP non-domain PC setup in a VM. Every other configuration fails. The Server 2003 and XP VM installs were done at various Windows patching levels ranging from base install no SP for Server 2003 and SP2 for XP to fully patched.

What I find most odd is that the Server 2003 VM doesn't install at all. It is explicitly mentioned in the hardware and software doc found here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27010374 . Fresh installed and patched fully, I cannot get FSM 4.5 to install.

I am left assuming there is a default Server 2003 setting that is causing the issue and that this setting is being pushed out to my domain XP PC and it has been unset on the non-production Server 2003 host. The only problem is I have no clue what it is.

Anyone have an idea?
  • JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T17:21:44Z  in response to JQG7_Adam_Gottstein
    This is resolved.

Because it seemed irrelevent I failed to mention that the servers are based out of Arizona.

In Windows Server 2003, when you set the time zone to AZ (MST, or GMT-7 with no daylight adjustment) it adds the following value to the timezone settings in the registry: DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet. It turns out the scripts that initialize the DB don't like this setting. Oddly, it is only after a certain point (for example, the master user is created in RBAC_USRS but none others).

The fix is pretty easy and is as follows:

1) Open up the Date and Time Properties Window
    2) Select the Time Zone tab
    3) Select any other time zone that adjusts for daylight savings.
    4) Select the check box "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes."
    5) Click Apply.
    6) Change your Time Zone back to your local time zone (Arizona, in my case), but make sure to NOT uncheck the box.
    7) Click Apply/Ok.

I have repeated these steps 3 times with success. In the registry the DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet is removed (not set to 0) and the install works as expected. Windows handles not adjusting to daylight savings just fine without this setting there.