Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-11-02T21:29:06Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
102 Posts

Pinned topic How to Migrate the Code from JDK 1.3 to JDK 1.6 which runs on WAS7.0?

‏2011-10-17T10:12:46Z |
Hi Friends,

I'm new to this migration task and need your expert's advise to proceed.

We have a code was originally written in JDK1.3 which used to run in WAS4.0. Later its been run against latest version of websphere versions(5.0, 6.0 and now its on 7.0). Now we like to migrate the actual source code to a version that's compatible with WAS7.0(Java version 1.6) . Which option in the below list is appropriate for the analysis?

WebSphere Application Server Version 5.1 to 7.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 6.0 to 7.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 to 7.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 5.1 to 8.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 6.0 to 8.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 to 8.0 migration
WebSphere Application Server Version 7.0 to 8.0 migration
Is it WebSphere Application Server Version 5.1 to 7.0 migration ? Also is it mandatory to fix all the issues in the analysis result ? In other words, how do I know the severity issues among the list(voilet marker) that needs to be fixed/focus on ? Also if anyone did the similar excercise, please let me know..
Thanks A Million
Sadhana
Updated on 2011-11-02T21:29:06Z at 2011-11-02T21:29:06Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

Re: How to Migrate the Code from JDK 1.3 to JDK 1.6 which runs on WAS7.0?

‏2011-10-17T14:34:00Z  
    Hello, We recommend you choose:
    "WebSphere Application Server Version 5.1 to 7.0 migration"
    Be sure to use your target Java version, Java 1.6, as the JDK compliance Level in your Eclipse development environment where you are compiling.

As for:
    "Also is it mandatory to fix all the issues in the analysis result ?"
    No, it is not mandatory. Given that your application is already running against recent versions of WebSphere it is unlikely your analysis will find any severe issues which must be fixed. We recommend you examine all the issues, consult the detailed help for each, and evaluate each issue individually.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-10-17T15:44:04Z  
    Be sure to use your target Java version, Java 1.6, as the JDK compliance Level in your Eclipse development environment where you are compiling.

As for:
    No, it is not mandatory. Given that your application is already running against recent versions of WebSphere it is unlikely your analysis will find any severe issues which must be fixed. We recommend you examine all the issues, consult the detailed help for each, and evaluate each issue individually.
    Hi Dana,

Thanks for your quick reply and valuable info. I'll do as suggested and update the status once the task is complete.

Thanks
    Sadhana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-10-26T16:45:18Z  

As for:
    Dana,

Its my bad. I was under impression that our code is compiling against JDK 1.6. But it's not. When I set the compiler to 1.6, got an error saying "Java compiler level does not match the version of the installed Java project facet". when I was trying to run the quick fix , its failed saying "One or more constraints have not been satisfied.WebSphere Web (Co-existence) 6.1 requires Java with version matching expression "1.3,1.4,5.0". I have a RAD version 7.5.4 .

Thanks
    Sadhana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-01T00:01:34Z  
    Dana,

Its my bad. I was under impression that our code is compiling against JDK 1.6. But it's not. When I set the compiler to 1.6, got an error saying "Java compiler level does not match the version of the installed Java project facet". when I was trying to run the quick fix , its failed saying "One or more constraints have not been satisfied.WebSphere Web (Co-existence) 6.1 requires Java with version matching expression "1.3,1.4,5.0". I have a RAD version 7.5.4 .

Thanks
    Sadhana
    Hi,

What is the minimum version of RAD that's required to migrate the Java Source Code from JDK 1.5 to JDK 1.6 ?
    Thanks
    Sadhana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-01T18:22:24Z  
    Hi,

What is the minimum version of RAD that's required to migrate the Java Source Code from JDK 1.5 to JDK 1.6 ?
    Thanks
    Sadhana
    The minimum RAD version supported by the toolkit is RAD 7.5. That version of RAD ships with JDK 1.6. The WebSphere Version to Version tool includes migration rules for moving from JDK 1.5 to JDK 1.6.

Have you resolved your issues with Java project facets?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-02T16:22:07Z  
    The minimum RAD version supported by the toolkit is RAD 7.5. That version of RAD ships with JDK 1.6. The WebSphere Version to Version tool includes migration rules for moving from JDK 1.5 to JDK 1.6.

Have you resolved your issues with Java project facets?
    Dana,

No, I'm not sure what I'm dong wrong. Please check the attachment for the screenshots and error messages.

Thanks
    Sadhana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-02T16:23:08Z  
    I'm still struggling on actual version of RAD to start the migration
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-02T18:14:48Z  
    I'm still struggling on actual version of RAD to start the migration
    Hi, I don't believe the issues you are having are at all related to the Application Migration Toolkit. I did a quick search on the error message you have and found a forum append where someone seems to have had the same or similar problem. That post is here:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14468099

The forum responder recommends moving to RAD 7.5.5.1. Note the append is from 2009. I think the latest RAD 7.5 available is RAD 7.5.5.5.

I hope this helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-02T19:07:01Z  
    Hi, I don't believe the issues you are having are at all related to the Application Migration Toolkit. I did a quick search on the error message you have and found a forum append where someone seems to have had the same or similar problem. That post is here:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14468099

The forum responder recommends moving to RAD 7.5.5.1. Note the append is from 2009. I think the latest RAD 7.5 available is RAD 7.5.5.5.

I hope this helps.
    Dana,

Thanks for your guidance. I agree that the issue is not related to application migration toolkit. However I'm under impression that I need to set the java version to 1.6 in my RAD without any errors before starting the migration task using toolkit.Pl let me know if that's not correct.

I did inform my management about the need to get RAD 7.5.5.5 to start the migration task, will update further once I set the env correctly in the new version of RAD and try the actual migration.
    Thanks
    Sadhana
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2011-11-02T21:29:06Z  
    Dana,

Thanks for your guidance. I agree that the issue is not related to application migration toolkit. However I'm under impression that I need to set the java version to 1.6 in my RAD without any errors before starting the migration task using toolkit.Pl let me know if that's not correct.

I did inform my management about the need to get RAD 7.5.5.5 to start the migration task, will update further once I set the env correctly in the new version of RAD and try the actual migration.
    Thanks
    Sadhana
    It is advisable to set the compliance level the same as you will be running in your application server.