Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-10-13T11:20:01Z by DavidLangdon
matthew_hughes2
matthew_hughes2
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic License question for OrgChartBasicOverview

‏2011-10-11T16:58:25Z |
The sample source code for iLog includes a very useful component: OrgChartBasicOverview. It is a minimap that allows users to navigate around the larger org chart.

My question is...what is the license for this component? It's in the sample, so I presume that if you have a full license for iLog, you should have a license for that, but given that it's not included in the library SWC, the only way you could use it is if you included that source file in your own code. Is this allowed?
Updated on 2011-10-13T11:20:01Z at 2011-10-13T11:20:01Z by DavidLangdon
  • Erwan_Paccard
    Erwan_Paccard
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: License question for OrgChartBasicOverview

‏2011-10-11T17:29:16Z  in response to matthew_hughes2
    yes you can copy & tweak samples source code into yours
    If a lawyer wants to look at the full license, it is available on line

Erwan
    • DavidLangdon
      DavidLangdon
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-12T13:58:41Z  in response to Erwan_Paccard
      Erwan,

After looking at the license you pointed us to, it is unclear we actually can use the samples source code in our product code. By reviewing the IBM License Information Document, I see the following text in the license:

Source Components and Sample Materials

The Program may include some components in source code form ("Source Components") and other materials identified as Sample Materials. Licensee may copy and modify Source Components and Sample Materials for internal use only provided such use is within the limits of the license rights under this Agreement, provided however that Licensee may not alter or delete any copyright information or notices contained in the Source Components or Sample Materials. IBM provides the Source Components and Sample Materials without obligation of support and "AS IS", WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR NON-INTERFERENCE AND THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

The part that concerns me is the highlighted sentence. Can you provide clarification as to whether this paragraph actually applies to the code we are trying to use?

Thanks
      • Erwan_Paccard
        Erwan_Paccard
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-13T07:48:58Z  in response to DavidLangdon
        Samples are written against the documented API to help you get started
        Sample code is meant to be reused

Concerning that license, the way I read it: Internal use means that you are free to use it if you develop an application for your company. If you plan on selling the application, you're an ISV OEMing Elixir and have to sign a special contract that covers you

hope it helps
        Erwan
        • Erwan_Paccard
          Erwan_Paccard
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-13T07:50:20Z  in response to Erwan_Paccard
          another clarification: that license says that you may copy and modify but not delete or modify any copyright notices

Erwan
          • DavidLangdon
            DavidLangdon
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-13T11:20:01Z  in response to Erwan_Paccard
            We already have a commercial contract with IBM for the iLog Elixir Enterprise v3.0. The contract is with Motorola Mobility (may be listed under General Instruments as that was the legal entity name being used) and was renewed in March through Rachel Fonseca in Westford, MA. If we need to sign a different/new agreement, that is fine and I can be used as the main contact point. I can be reached at 215-323-1966.