3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-10T11:17:59Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
403 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic XML to Cobol conversion - How to handle xsi:type

‏2011-10-10T21:51:32Z |
Hi all,

I have a requirement to receive a XML string and convert that to a COBOL structure using Cobol Enterprise. I am using XML PARSE statement, but getting XML-CODE -201 when program reaches a structure with "xsi:type". Part of my input is a string like the example below:

<debitos>
<debito tipo="Unica" xsi:type="Unica">
<vencimento>2010-03-19</vencimento>
</debito>
</debitos>
Does cobol enterprise interpret XML tags with "xsi:type"? What is the XML-EVENT related. I have searched for the topic in Cobol Enterprise Programming Guide, but there is nothing related to this issue.

Thanks!
Updated on 2012-05-10T11:17:59Z at 2012-05-10T11:17:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    403 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: XML to Cobol conversion - How to handle xsi:type

‏2011-10-11T17:55:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    When I parse the XML you provided, I see the following events from the COBOL XML parser.

|START-OF-DOCUMENT             | |<debitos><debito tipo=
    "Unica"xsi:type=
    "Unica"><vencimento>2010-03-19</vencimento></debito></debitos> | |START-OF-ELEMENT              | |debitos| |START-OF-ELEMENT              | |debito| |ATTRIBUTE-NAME                | |tipo| |ATTRIBUTE-CHARACTERS          | |Unica| |ATTRIBUTE-NAME                | |xsi:type| |ATTRIBUTE-CHARACTERS          | |Unica| |START-OF-ELEMENT              | |vencimento| |CONTENT-CHARACTERS            | |2010-03-19| |END-OF-ELEMENT                | |vencimento| |END-OF-ELEMENT                | |debito| |END-OF-ELEMENT                | |debitos| |END-OF-DOCUMENT               | ||

The output above was produced from a COBOL program compiled with Enterprise COBOL 3.4.1. No exceptions occurred in the processing of the XML.

I find it helpful to have the following statement in the PROCESSING PROCEDURE of my XML PARSE statement...

DISPLAY 
    '|' XML-EVENT 
    '| |' XML-TEXT 
    '|'

...so I can see what events are being processed when I'm debugging.

When I tried parsing the XML you provided using the same program compiled with Enterprise COBOL 4.2 and the XMLPARSE(XMLSS) option, I received an exception. The return code was XRC_NOT_WELL_FORMED and the reason code was XRSN_NS_ATTR_PREFIX_NOT_DECL.

The documentation for that reason code says...

Namespace prefix on attribute not declared.

Action: Change the document to correct the error and retry.

...I'm afraid I can't help much more than that, I think the parser is complaining about the "xsi:" and that it isn't declared elsewhere in the XML document.
  • mazogi
    mazogi
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-11T18:40:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    For a namespace-aware parse, the xsi prefix has to be bound to a namespace as in the example from the XSD Primer:

For example,

<debitos xmlns:xsi=
    "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> ....

Thanks,

Gary
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    403 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T11:17:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thank you all!