Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-10-10T14:41:30Z by njr11
Jimmy_I
Jimmy_I
2 Posts

Pinned topic JDBC MS SQLServer Driver connection fails for named instance of database

‏2011-10-07T18:40:14Z |
In Websphere Application Server for Developers V 8.0 Admin Console, I set up a JDBC DataSource for Microsoft SQL Server.
The Test Connection works when the default instance of the database is used. When a named instance of the database is used, the connection fails.

I tried the following parameter values:
Database name: <database name>
Port number: left blank
Server name: <database name>/<instancename> OR
Server name: <server name> and set custom property instanceName to <instanceName>

Both settings throw the error: java.sql.SQLException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "Server chose unsupported or disabled protocol: SSLv3". DSRA0010E: SQL State = 08S01, Error Code = 0.

I am able to establish a connection, when the database has only a default instance on port 1433 in the Admin Console. I am also programmatically able to connect to the named instance by building the Connection URL.
Updated on 2011-10-10T14:41:30Z at 2011-10-10T14:41:30Z by njr11
  • Jimmy_I
    Jimmy_I
    2 Posts

Re: JDBC MS SQLServer Driver connection fails for named instance of database

‏2011-10-07T18:55:29Z  
    A correction to my post:
    Replace
    with
    Server name: <server name>\<instancename> OR
  • njr11
    njr11
    1 Post

Re: JDBC MS SQLServer Driver connection fails for named instance of database

‏2011-10-10T14:41:30Z  
    • Jimmy_I
    • ‏2011-10-07T18:55:29Z
    A correction to my post:
    Replace
    with
    Server name: <server name>\<instancename> OR
    An application server uses XADataSource or ConnectionPoolDataSource to set the values that you configure (datasource.setServerName, datasource.setInstanceName, ...) on the JDBC driver rather than building a connection url and using DriverManager.getConnection(url), so it's different code paths through the JDBC driver. This is necessary to participate in connection pooling and XA transactions. I'd recommend reporting the error to Microsoft as an issue between the Microsoft JDBC driver and Microsoft SQL Server database.