Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-18T16:44:55Z by Steven_Bass
Get_To_Work
Get_To_Work
3 Posts

Pinned topic FSM 4.5 High CPU Usage

‏2011-10-06T15:01:17Z |
We installed FSM 4.5 using SQL Server as the FSMDB. This was a clean install with no migrations from previous 4.01 FP6 install. For the first 24 hours or so, things were going fine. Then, eventually, prunsrv.exe and sqlservr.exe start to consume high CPU, from 100% to 75% making the server pretty much unusable. The installation was good, no errors, exit code 0.

We've installed the 4.5.0.000-1 hotfix that claims to fix issues with FSM and SQL Server High CPU usage. The patch installed clean with exit code 0. This did not fix the problem.

Checked for more patches, none found beyond 000-1.

Our cala clients were upgraded using TEM's mrigration tasks.

We didn't install LDAP security, although we are planning to in the future if we can get past this high CPU usage.

FSM 4.5 is unusable at this point. We'd like to install 4.5 in production if we could get past this issue and learn more about 4.5.
Updated on 2011-10-11T20:59:49Z at 2011-10-11T20:59:49Z by Martin.Willingham
  • Get_To_Work
    Get_To_Work
    3 Posts

Re: FSM 4.5 High CPU Usage

‏2011-10-07T15:36:02Z  
    It seems to have settled down now. There are background jobs that run against the database.
  • Get_To_Work
    Get_To_Work
    3 Posts

‏2011-10-08T21:23:32Z  
    When I start the FSM Server service, SQLServer (sqlservr.exe) runs the CPU at 100% for at least 5 hours, and eventually settles down.

Everything is setup according to the 4.5 install guide.

Could be problem is this server is running on VMWare, which I am told IBM supports.
  • Steven_Bass
    Steven_Bass
    31 Posts

‏2011-10-11T20:54:15Z  
    When I start the FSM Server service, SQLServer (sqlservr.exe) runs the CPU at 100% for at least 5 hours, and eventually settles down.

Could be problem is this server is running on VMWare, which I am told IBM supports.
    I'm seeing substantial improvement in my System stability after applying FP1 for FSM 4.5. This should be available for download within the next week or so. If your problem persists after applying this Fix Pack, rest assured, we will get to the bottom of it for you.
  • Martin.Willingham
    Martin.Willingham
    13 Posts

‏2011-10-11T20:59:49Z  

Engineering is aware of this issue and has resolved it with Fix Pack 1, soon to be released.
  • PLujan
    PLujan
    2 Posts

‏2014-02-17T14:00:39Z  
    I'm seeing substantial improvement in my System stability after applying FP1 for FSM 4.5. This should be available for download within the next week or so. If your problem persists after applying this Fix Pack, rest assured, we will get to the bottom of it for you.

Any way to project CPU load on the DB server itself based upon number of agents, monitors? Have a database group asking me that before doing an install.

Thanks

• Steven_Bass
    Steven_Bass
    31 Posts

‏2014-02-17T18:23:18Z  
    • PLujan
    • ‏2014-02-17T14:00:39Z

Any way to project CPU load on the DB server itself based upon number of agents, monitors? Have a database group asking me that before doing an install.

Thanks

CPU load should be minimal on the DB Server.  Based on your prior experience with this issue, would like to know;

a) version of System Monitor - still SQL Server?

b) number of monitors

c) number of agents (clients)

• PLujan
    PLujan
    2 Posts

‏2014-02-17T22:08:43Z  

CPU load should be minimal on the DB Server.  Based on your prior experience with this issue, would like to know;

a) version of System Monitor - still SQL Server?

b) number of monitors

c) number of agents (clients)

a) 4.5..x

b) About two dozen I think. The standard disk, CPU and network monitors, then the usual JPSMonConf stuff for CE, AE and PE coming out of the box 'til we got some initial baselines, start tweaking from there. Probably a couple of ObjectStorePerformance as well.

c) 4 RHEL servers hosting WebSphere 7.0.x with nodes/JVMs on each for CE, AE and WPXT. 2 Solaris boxes for PE.

• Steven_Bass
    Steven_Bass
    31 Posts

‏2014-02-18T16:44:55Z  
    • PLujan
    • ‏2014-02-17T22:08:43Z

a) 4.5..x

b) About two dozen I think. The standard disk, CPU and network monitors, then the usual JPSMonConf stuff for CE, AE and PE coming out of the box 'til we got some initial baselines, start tweaking from there. Probably a couple of ObjectStorePerformance as well.

c) 4 RHEL servers hosting WebSphere 7.0.x with nodes/JVMs on each for CE, AE and WPXT. 2 Solaris boxes for PE.

I've vetted the configuration with the support experts.  We do not expect any stress on your DB server as a result of this configuration.  However, the best practice recommendation is that you install the latest version ECM SM 5.1.0-002.  Furthermore, please ensure that the history is kept small by using reasonable values for Database Cleanup configuration.  That will ensure the the DB performance in the future is similar to the way it is when initially deployed.