• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-13T15:03:11Z by rmoskwa
m4teria
m4teria
3 Posts

Pinned topic Import Excel Table as Table

‏2011-10-05T11:58:27Z |
Hello together,

i have a Question about to import a Excel table to doors (as table in attributes). I want this Excel table just in look , to have on Doors (without new Objectives, only the Table).
The only thing which works, is to insert the table as a picture (Screenshot). But there must be a solution to solve this Problem.

Thanks a lot !
Updated on 2013-02-13T15:03:11Z at 2013-02-13T15:03:11Z by rmoskwa
  • cliff.sadler
    cliff.sadler
    22 Posts

Re: Import Excel Table as Table

‏2011-10-05T15:14:07Z  
    My practice is to copy the cells of the excel table, and paste it into MS Word. This creates a Word table. I remove the Table 1 autocaption, and then set the top heading row (if applicable) to repeat as a header row. I then save this as a Word 97-2003 .doc file.
    Create an object in DOORS (ctrl-N, and hit space to put you in inset edit mode for Object Text), backspace, and then insertOLE object from file, navigating to the newly created Word document.
    This gives you one object, a properly formatted table, with table properties.
    To edit the table later on, right click on the object to get the properties page, and then double click the OLE insert from there. That will open MS Word in a SEPARATE window, allowing for editing.

This is crucial for long tables that span more than one page. When they are exported, you can use a macro to expand the tables to their full size. Excel embedded tables don't do this well.
  • m4teria
    m4teria
    3 Posts

‏2011-10-10T06:57:11Z  
    My practice is to copy the cells of the excel table, and paste it into MS Word. This creates a Word table. I remove the Table 1 autocaption, and then set the top heading row (if applicable) to repeat as a header row. I then save this as a Word 97-2003 .doc file.
    Create an object in DOORS (ctrl-N, and hit space to put you in inset edit mode for Object Text), backspace, and then insertOLE object from file, navigating to the newly created Word document.
    To edit the table later on, right click on the object to get the properties page, and then double click the OLE insert from there. That will open MS Word in a SEPARATE window, allowing for editing.

This is crucial for long tables that span more than one page. When they are exported, you can use a macro to expand the tables to their full size. Excel embedded tables don't do this well.
    First I have to say: Thank you :)
    Its better then input the table as screenshot. But i want to have a Doorstable. Is that realizable ? Our customer send his Specs always in Powerpoint format (yes Powerpoint...) and my job it is to get this large Specs into Doors. I want to find an automation for this. Well, that is not easy but i want to try it.

I want to have a original doorstable from a table which i have in Powerpoint (or Excel, Word). Realizable?

Thanks a lot
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2013-02-12T22:20:43Z  

Cliff, I have INSERTED the Excel table into DOORS as an OLE object created from a File. I am having some strange problems with the object after it is created. I get errors when I select the object as it is attempted to open in Excel. Have you ever attempted to insert an Excel table directly as an OLE object into DOORS? I am currently using DOORS 9.3.0 and Office 2010. We wanted to keep all tables and figures associated with requirements in our DOORS database. We want to link one object to several specifications. ALso want the flexibility of being to modify the object in one place and thus the update is handled for all specifications at the same time.
    Thanks
  • rmoskwa
    rmoskwa
    72 Posts

‏2013-02-13T15:03:11Z  
    Cliff, I have INSERTED the Excel table into DOORS as an OLE object created from a File. I am having some strange problems with the object after it is created. I get errors when I select the object as it is attempted to open in Excel. Have you ever attempted to insert an Excel table directly as an OLE object into DOORS? I am currently using DOORS 9.3.0 and Office 2010. We wanted to keep all tables and figures associated with requirements in our DOORS database. We want to link one object to several specifications. ALso want the flexibility of being to modify the object in one place and thus the update is handled for all specifications at the same time.
    Thanks
    mccoys, I saw your other post related to this topic on the DXL forum.

I am considering on upgrading to Office 2010 on my PC, but I am concerned after reading your post. Did you have an older version of Office on a PC first, followed by installing DOORS, perhaps followed with DOORS updates, and then you updated to Office 2010?

I ask because I think you stated (in your DXL forum post) that you were able to have Excel OLEs functional in DOORS, then you updated to Office 2010, and now Excel OLEs do not function for you in DOORS.

I have other PCs that had Office 2010 on them, followed by installing DOORS 9.202, and Excel OLEs function properly in DOORS. I am wondering if your problem may be fixed by re-installing the DOORS client on the PC that you upgraded with Office 2010.