Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-04-19T08:45:38Z by Forrest_Xia
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2233 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Portlet endless deployment

‏2011-10-02T18:23:53Z |
Hello,

I'm a newbie on websphere, i'm trying to validate my portlet application on ths server.
I deployed a .war on websphere CE 3.0, windows 7 64 bits, through admin console. Even if "start application after installed" is unchecked, when i click on install, i don't get any error message or log and the deployment never stops. Processor keeps 100% hardworking, i killed server 1 hour later nothing more happened.
My portlet works fineon other App Serv such tomcat, glassfish, ketty or JBoss.

I then tried to install pluto-testsuite-2.0.2.war portlet and installed it successfully in a few seconds. I modified pluto-testsuite-2.0.2.war by just adding birt Runtime 3.7 jar in WEB-INF/lib (about 30Mbytes, i use this runtime in my application). this new pluto-testsuite-2.0.2.war couldn't be installed, with exactly the same issue as my application.

So my questions: is it a known problem ? Could it be related with .war size? Since i dont get any error message, what could i try to have a chance to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance
Updated on 2012-04-19T08:45:38Z at 2012-04-19T08:45:38Z by Forrest_Xia
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Portlet endless deployment

‏2011-10-27T09:38:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    i suppose i should officially conclude websphere CE cant support portlet deploy over 30Mb. I Hope commercial version is a little more robust.
    • Jeff_chi
      Jeff_chi
      62 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-02T11:34:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Any error messages in the server.log? What happens if you deploy your application using the deploy command?

Jeff
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2233 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-17T23:16:35Z  in response to Jeff_chi
        Hi Jeff,

After selecting my portlet.war (43Mo), when i click on install button in admin console deployer, i get those log lines:

2011-11-18 00:04:58,145 INFO SupportedModesServiceImpl Portlet mode 'edit' not found for portletId: 'console-base.WARModules!-717254442|0'
        2011-11-18 00:04:58,145 INFO SupportedModesServiceImpl Portlet mode 'help' not found for portletId: 'console-base.WARModules!-717254442|0'
        2011-11-18 00:05:11,411 INFO SupportedModesServiceImpl Portlet mode 'edit' not found for portletId: 'plugin.Deployment!-2135677113|0'
        2011-11-18 00:05:17,073 INFO Parameters Parameters: Invalid chunk '' ignored.

After that, this deployment is just endless with a very high cpu activity, and no more log messages.

I'm a little bit confused because i have absolutely no clue about what i could do to fix it. This problem can be easyly reproduced whith for instance Apache pluto testsuite portlet: we just have to add in its war, under WEB-INF/lib, the Eclipse BIRT runtime (30Mo) and deployment becomes impossible. Any idea?
        • Kevan
          Kevan
          121 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-18T15:14:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Sounds like there's a problem uploading the war file (which I assume Jeff is investigating.).

Jeff suggested you use the 'deploy' command line, rather than the admin console deploy function. This should work for you.

Assuming a Linux system:

'bin/deploy.sh deploy <your-war-filename> <and-optionally-your-deployment-plan-filename>'

--kevan
        • Forrest_Xia
          Forrest_Xia
          82 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-09T02:39:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi,

Can you upload the sample app somewhere? I want to have a try with CE.

Forrest
        • kevintap
          kevintap
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-02T04:54:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Did anyone ever find a resolution to this issue? I'm having similar problems with WASCE 3.0.0.1 when trying to deploy a large (40MB) war file. The deploy actually does complete for me, but it takes a long time - on the order of 10-15 minutes.

When the deploy was running, I took a few thread dumps of the server JVM and it looks like the deployer is doing something related to web services. This seems a bit odd as I'm not using any web services in my app.

The active thread in the thread dump seems to be doing this:

4XESTACKTRACE at java/util/jar/JarFile.initializeVerifier(JarFile.java:384(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at java/util/jar/JarFile.getInputStream(JarFile.java:449(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at sun/net/www/protocol/jar/JarURLConnection.getInputStream(JarURLConnection.java:159(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at java/net/URL.openStream(URL.java(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/xbean/finder/ClassFinder.readClassDef(ClassFinder.java:723(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/xbean/finder/ClassFinder.<init>(ClassFinder.java:141(Compiled Code))
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/WARWebServiceFinder.discoverWebServices(WARWebServiceFinder.java:160)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/AdvancedWARWebServiceFinder.discoverPOJOWebServices(AdvancedWARWebServiceFinder.java:73)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/AdvancedWARWebServiceFinder.discoverWebServices(AdvancedWARWebServiceFinder.java:45)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/WARWebServiceFinder.discoverWebServices(WARWebServiceFinder.java:71)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/JAXWSServiceBuilder.discoverWebServices(JAXWSServiceBuilder.java:99)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/jaxws/builder/JAXWSServiceBuilder.findWebServices(JAXWSServiceBuilder.java:82)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/web25/deployment/AbstractWebModuleBuilder.basicInitContext(AbstractWebModuleBuilder.java:364)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/tomcat/deployment/TomcatModuleBuilder.initContext(TomcatModuleBuilder.java:330)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/j2ee/deployment/SwitchingModuleBuilder.initContext(SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:159)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/j2ee/deployment/EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:593)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/deployment/Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:255)
          4XESTACKTRACE at org/apache/geronimo/deployment/Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:134)
          • Forrest_Xia
            Forrest_Xia
            82 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-19T08:45:38Z  in response to kevintap
            Hi,

If the application is big and with lots of library in WEB-INF/lib folder, CE server will do service scan among those libraries by default. You can follow this document to disable unnecessary scan.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/V3.0.0/en/disabling-specific-deployers-using-system-properties.html

Let's us know if it works for you.

Thank you for raising your questions

Forrest