This message is being posted so that I can refer back to it later.
The message you have just posted contains an issue which, from your description, does not provide enough information to determine what it is that you are trying to accomplish. The following is a categorisation of several types of issues along with the information which will help to determine the core issue.
For situations where you are dealing with report/model design it will help considerably if you can do the following:
1. Post your original report specification.
2. Create a similar report using the Cognos samples to demonstrate your current difficulty.
3. For issues relating to output values, run the Cognos report and save it as an Excel output file.
4. For issues relating to output values, create a copy of the Excel output file and modify the output to show the results you are trying to achieve.
5. For problems with interactive behaviours (prompts, business insight, active reports) try to explain in more detail what the current behaviour is that you are seeing and how this differs from what you want the behaviour to be.
6. When you are encountering unexpected results or performance issues it may also help to include the Cognos and Native SQL generated for the query. This can be obtained in Report Studio by selecting "Show Generated SQL/MDX" from the Tools menu. Capture all the information for each query in the window which comes up.
Situations which result in error messages
1. The full error message. It will also help to include the cogserver.log file from the server.
2. A very detailed explanation of the actions you performed which lead up to the error message.
3. Attempt to recreate the error using the Cognos samples. This is particularly useful if you are working in Report Studio and you are encountering syntax/validation errors. Post the report specification which you have developed using the samples.
To set up the samples refer to Setting Up The Samples from the Installation and Configuration Guide.
Pinned topic More information required (no response needed for this thread)
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2012-10-11T12:19:46Z at 2012-10-11T12:19:46Z by akatude007
Re: More information required (no response needed for this thread)2012-10-11T02:28:07ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Hi Phil,
I tried to add you to my connections earlier today but it would let me. I'm not sure if you remember me I use to work for IBM and now I'm working for CACI, International. I have been trying to decode how to write the logic for Cognos now going on two years and I feel like I'm starting to understand a little more. But this report that I'm working on is a report that the client developed and now I have been asked to make changes that they are requesting: like they want a Prompt for Type - Revenue (GL Acct 1,2 = 52, 53, 55, 59) Expense ( GL Acct 1,1 = 6) Gains/Loses (GL Acct 1,1 = 7)not sure what that means. If you could help me to understand this would be a start. Secondly, they wanted me tolet the user select 'All Appropriations' and it would give them I want to say all of the CONSOL from the FSUM column. I will add the excel spreadsheet that shows this information that I have added below. Also you can only attach one file. I have downloaded the Report also in to excel spreadsheet to send to you. The only thing is I need to ask the client which one is the correct column. I think that its FSUM and in that column they may want all account with CONSOL in it.
FSUM Group PCB Overhead Progam Delivery Grand Total
1100 1152 1211 1236 1238 1285 1298 1302 Total PCB 2100 2200 2300 2311 2400 2500 2503 2504 2507 2510 2538 2589 2590 2591 2600 3100 4200 Total Overhead 4100 Other Total Progam Delivery
0143-8670143 $4,560.76 $4,560.76 $78.80 $0.00 $1,696.18 ($8,418.79) $0.00 ($6,643.81) $165.99 $10.00 $175.99 ($1,907.06)
0143-86X0143 $240,250.16 $721,526.07 $1,150.00 $149,267.27 $165.99 $1,112,359.49 $163,197.65 $25.00 $163,222.65 $1,275,582.14
0143-86X0143-06 $235,344.79 $4,516.21 $1,150.00 $113,788.27 $165.99 $354,965.26 $35,479.00 $15.00 $35,494.00 $390,459.26
0143-86X0143-09 $4,905.37 $717,009.86 $35,479.00 $757,394.23 $149,267.27 $80.00 $149,347.27 $906,741.50
0143-CONSOL $4,560.76 $4,560.76 $240,328.96 $0.00 $1,696.18 $713,107.28 $1,150.00 $149,267.27 $165.99 $1,105,715.68 $0.00 $1,110,276.44
0189-8600189 $2,587.21 $2,587.21 ($549.46) $3,352.49 $211,879.67 $214,682.70 $0.00 $217,269.91
0189-86110189 $0.00 $8,215.35 $221,152.73 $20.00 $13,057.95 $3,201.00 $245,647.03 $149,710.31 $4,222.63 $33,252.39 $2,363.50 $6,985,676.01 $28,486.91 $23,134.30 $5,300.30 $96,882.29 $184,492.47 $15,000.00 $7,528,521.11 $0.00 $7,774,168.14
0189-86120189 $0.00 $76,120,562.10 $121,184.50 $12,812.88 $50,849.75 $17,449.00 $76,322,858.23 $3,143,282.43 $19,971.32 $65,528.49 $7,329,759.32 $30,033.59 $7,144,693.48 $186,291.27 $180,484.86 $27,918.50 $149,776.62 $163,197.65 $28,189.43 $18,469,126.96 $0.00 $94,791,985.19
0189-8670189 ($3,073.89) ($3,073.89) $195.00 $195.00 $0.00 ($2,878.89)
0189-8680189 ($11,831.92) $437.99 ($11,393.93) $0.00 ($11,393.93)
0189-8690189 $0.00 $188,966.73 $188,966.73 $298,284.08 $30.00 $298,314.08 $487,280.81
Total ($14,905.81) $76,140,924.17 $342,337.23 $0.00 $12,832.88 $0.00 $63,907.70 $0.00 $20,650.00 $76,565,746.17 $4,013,351.36 $24,193.95 $102,133.37 $7,329,759.32 $35,789.45 $16,679,151.52 $218,228.18 $203,619.16 $33,218.80 $0.00 $0.00 $447,801.81 $0.00 $0.00 $247,156.88 $347,690.12 $43,189.43 $29,725,283.35 $646,393.99 $160.00 $646,553.99 $106,937,583.51
A B C =A+B+C
Re: More information required (no response needed for this thread)2012-10-11T02:33:00ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Phil please use my email address email@example.com just in case the at sign does not work.
aka2d7 at gmail.com
SystemAdmin 110000D4XK15496 Posts
Re: More information required (no response needed for this thread)2012-10-11T04:32:21ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- akatude007 270004FXJB
2. The attachment better be a zip file containing the list of files outlined above.
3. You should create your own forum thread to address the problem. Do not reply to this thread.
4. I have no intention of contacting you directly to provide free consulting services. If you use forum properly then you may get a response.
5. I don't particularly care if you worked for IBM previously and I do not remember you. I will give you the same treatment that anyone else on this forum receives.
Re: More information required (no response needed for this thread)2012-10-11T12:19:46ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- SystemAdmin 110000D4XK
I appreciate your feedback/advice and honesty, I get what your saying. I will take the information that you have provided me and try this again with all of the details. Now that I know when I attach things on this site that I can zip then to include all of the information will help.
Have a great day!