• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-10-04T16:42:12Z by Dan Mullen
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
847 Posts

Pinned topic ITCAM: Robotic Response Time Agent

‏2011-09-26T08:05:01Z |
Hi All,

I am beginner of ITCAM RRT Agent, I got the following requirement from my senior manager. Let me know how to work on the same. Please guide me the RRT agent advantages & the steps which required to work on below functionality. Guide me on RPT & Rational Robot GUI , RFT? what are these and it's purpose.

. Need to monitor 15- 20 transactions of the ERP SW from a location.
. The start and End of a transaction is not clear. (possibly Self service portal, login, query generation, time sheet filling , Specific Report generation pages are predominant transactional screens)
. ERP is URL based sw only.
. 10 such locations need to be deployed with the RRT agent. under LAN and rest will be across geographies remotely to be deployed.
. HW - Desktop for the playback stations, how to perform this?
. To know the response time & threshold violations and latency / delay happening in these transactions from each location
Updated on 2011-10-04T16:42:12Z at 2011-10-04T16:42:12Z by Dan Mullen
  • Dan Mullen
    Dan Mullen
    4 Posts

Re: ITCAM: Robotic Response Time Agent

‏2011-09-27T17:18:12Z  
    These are all good questions. Here are some guidelines which will hopefully help you get started.

ITCAM RRT provides a way to create synthetic transactions from recordings made with Rational Performance Tester (RPT) or Rational Function Tester (RFT). There are also some capabilities to create monitoring probes from Rational Robot scripts however most customers find that RPT and/or RFT provide much richer monitoring solutions if starting from scratch.

Regardess of workbench used, RRT requires a clearly defined transaction. This means that it has a well known start and stop point. In your case this is going to be a start page and an end page. If you have multiple start or end pages then you will need to define a transaction for each one. If there is an unmanageable number then you should rethink your transaction definitions. The goal is to make business decisions based on the monitoring results, chances are that the business logic is not too complex so to keep things simple map your transaction definitions directly to the business logic.

RRT provides customer experience or end-user experience monitoring. If you are monitoring an application from a remote site, then you are seeing that application just as a customer from that same site would see the application. Its important to know that you are not necessarily monitoring the application itself. An application could be performing normally for most users but appear slow or perhaps even appear to be down from another location.

For HW and supported OS platforms for RRT you should look at the latest on-line prerequisite page. For remote deployment strategies and assistance, please refer to the ITM documentation.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.3%2FPrerequisites%2Fen_US%2FHTML%2FVersion.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    847 Posts

‏2011-09-29T05:45:24Z  
    These are all good questions. Here are some guidelines which will hopefully help you get started.

ITCAM RRT provides a way to create synthetic transactions from recordings made with Rational Performance Tester (RPT) or Rational Function Tester (RFT). There are also some capabilities to create monitoring probes from Rational Robot scripts however most customers find that RPT and/or RFT provide much richer monitoring solutions if starting from scratch.

Regardess of workbench used, RRT requires a clearly defined transaction. This means that it has a well known start and stop point. In your case this is going to be a start page and an end page. If you have multiple start or end pages then you will need to define a transaction for each one. If there is an unmanageable number then you should rethink your transaction definitions. The goal is to make business decisions based on the monitoring results, chances are that the business logic is not too complex so to keep things simple map your transaction definitions directly to the business logic.

RRT provides customer experience or end-user experience monitoring. If you are monitoring an application from a remote site, then you are seeing that application just as a customer from that same site would see the application. Its important to know that you are not necessarily monitoring the application itself. An application could be performing normally for most users but appear slow or perhaps even appear to be down from another location.

For HW and supported OS platforms for RRT you should look at the latest on-line prerequisite page. For remote deployment strategies and assistance, please refer to the ITM documentation.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.3%2FPrerequisites%2Fen_US%2FHTML%2FVersion.html
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing technical stuff.

I understand the functionality. let me know how the architecture flows between RPT,RFT, Rational Robot and RRT,ITCAM Console agent.
    DO you any documents(link) on how to upload the scripts and how to export the same in RRT, AMC(ITCAM Console). waiting for your reply.

Appreciate your quick response. Thanks
  • Dan Mullen
    Dan Mullen
    4 Posts

‏2011-10-03T21:54:01Z  
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing technical stuff.

I understand the functionality. let me know how the architecture flows between RPT,RFT, Rational Robot and RRT,ITCAM Console agent.
    DO you any documents(link) on how to upload the scripts and how to export the same in RRT, AMC(ITCAM Console). waiting for your reply.

Appreciate your quick response. Thanks
    Once recording are created and tested from the Rational RPT or RFT workbench they can be exported directly to ITCAM through the use of an ITCAM eclipse plugin. Please refer to the following links for information on installing the plug-in and exporting scripts to ITCAM.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.1.0.1%2Fprereq71%2Fen_US%2FHTML%2FVersion71.html

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.1.0.1%2Fprereq71%2Fen_US%2FHTML%2FVersion71.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    847 Posts

‏2011-10-04T05:13:31Z  
    Once recording are created and tested from the Rational RPT or RFT workbench they can be exported directly to ITCAM through the use of an ITCAM eclipse plugin. Please refer to the following links for information on installing the plug-in and exporting scripts to ITCAM.

Thanks Dan.

I Uploaded script in to RPT & exported it to ITCAM Console in TEP. Now i am able to see Transactions availability. Thanks for your support.

I am able to see data in work spaces of AMC,RRT. but i am not clear about the data which it is showing in workspaces of RRT. Can you just let me know what do you mean by sub-transactions & the data which it shows in Applications, Clients, Playback status, Transactions workspaces.

Waiting for your reply. Once again thanks for your timely support.

Thank you,
    Hari
  • Dan Mullen
    Dan Mullen
    4 Posts

‏2011-10-04T16:42:12Z  
    Thanks Dan.

I Uploaded script in to RPT & exported it to ITCAM Console in TEP. Now i am able to see Transactions availability. Thanks for your support.

I am able to see data in work spaces of AMC,RRT. but i am not clear about the data which it is showing in workspaces of RRT. Can you just let me know what do you mean by sub-transactions & the data which it shows in Applications, Clients, Playback status, Transactions workspaces.

Waiting for your reply. Once again thanks for your timely support.

Thank you,
    Hari
    the workspaces for RRT monitoring attempt to give the user an overall view of all the scripts that are running along with the current status of the script itself. (this is the playback status you refer to) and also the details of the transactions (URLs) that are recorded. How the user interprets this information goes back to the first response on what aspects of the business logic you want monitor. Sub-transactions are simply pages and elements of a page that the user may be interested in. Typically things like images and style-sheets are ignored as these tend to create large amount of data with little to no value.

documentation on workspace and how to configure them can be found here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamt.doc_7.3%2Fic-homepage.html