Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
15 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-01T03:25:21Z by Shawn_Jiang
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2233 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WASCE v3.0.0.0 is now available

‏2011-09-26T05:27:03Z |
WebSphere Application Server Community Edition v3.0.0.0 is now available. It provides the following new features and enhancements:

1) Java EE 6 Full Profile and Enterprise OSGi Programming Model
CE 3.0 is based on Apache Geronimo 3.0 which integrates Apache Karaf 2.2.1, Apache Aries 0.3, Apache Tomcat 7.0.19.1, Apache OpenEJB 4.0, Apache OpenWebBeans 1.1.1 and other open source components.

2) Java SDK upgraded
The supported Java SDK 6 for CE 3.0 has been upgraded to IBM SDK 6 SR9 FP1.

3) Installer and runtime support for new platforms
CE 3.0 now supports the following platforms as recommended/compatible ones:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 w/SP1
Fedora 15
openSUSE Linux 11.4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Version 6.1
AIX 7.1
Ubuntu 11.04

4) Components upgraded
More new features are supported with upgraded components in the CE 3.0 server.

5) Architecture changes
By introducing OSGi into Java EE world, below are the major architecture changes in CE 3.0:
Based on Eclipse Equinox OSGi framework, and supports Apache Felix. See Changing the OSGi container for more details.
Uses Geronimo kernel for lifecycle management and dependency management.
Converts Geronimo repository into an OSGi bundle repository to simplify deploying and using available bundles.
Uses OSGi classloading mechanism to share classes among components.

6) Technology improvements
With the architecture changes, CE 3.0 provides the following technology improvements:
Integrates the JNDI component from Apache Aries, which allows OSGi services injected into Java EE modules using @Resource annotation. See JNDI for more details.
Provides an OSGi Blueprint Container with standardized declarative, fine-grained, dependency injection for OSGi enterprise applications, and automatic OSGi bundle dependency resolution and provisioning.
Provides the abilities to dynamically update OSGi services and load multiple version of bundles into the same server.
Supports Java EE 6 specification as below, and provides backward compatibilities to Java EE 5 applications.
Java context and dependency injection
Restful web service
EJB in WAR
Annotation based servlet
Asynchronized servlets and ejbs
And other technology updates in Java EE 6

7) Support various types for Java assets
CE 3.0 provides various ways to install and administer Java assets, such as command line mode, administrative console, Karaf shell or development tools. It supports deployment and management of different types of Java assets:
OSGi Enterprise applications
Pure OSGi bundles
Web application bundles(WAB)
Blueprint applications
Java EE applications

8) Usability improvements
CE 3.0 has the following improvement on usabilities:
The installation wizard can be used to install CE Eclipse Plug-in(WEP) to your existing Eclipse during installation, and First Steps can be used to operate CE server after installation.
The administrative console is reorganized into two sets of mode: basic and Advanced modes, and there is a search box on the navigation panel to help you locate specific tasks more easily.
The administrative console can be used to manage and deploy OSGi bundles, Web Application bundles(WAB) and Enterprise Bundle application(EBA).
The EJB portlet can provide better configuration and viewing of the OpenEJB container.
The JMS portlet can provide better ActiveMQ administration through the administrative console.
OSGI Portlet enhances the administrative console to better manage the OSGi framework and bundles.
The hot deploy feature can be used for both Java EE assets and OSGi bundles. Use /deploy directory for Java EE assets and Aries application. For OSGi bundles, use /hotbundles directory.
The server provides improved ability to consume server.xml for Apache Tomcat to reduce barriers to running Tomcat based applications on CE server.

9) High availability and security improvements
CE 3.0 has the following improvements on clustering and security:
EJB failover such as multicast and multipoint scenarios provided by embedded OpenEJB component.
JMS master/slave clustering to persist JMS messages with different scenarios provided by embedded ActiveMQ component.
HTTP header based authentication to support single sign on and validate authentication information passed by HTTP headers.
SPNEGO support to allow HTTP users to log in and authenticate only once in their desktop, after that they can receive automatic authentication from the CE server.
Ability to accept encrypted passwords in deployment plans and encrypt passwords in config.ser. Use encrypt command to generate encrypted strings using CE system configuration.

10) gogo commands for CE
CE 3.0 ships Apache Karaf as one of its component, and provides CE specific gogo commands to manage Java assets and the server. Apache Karaf shell supports tab auto completion, easy to extend. It replaces GShell used in previous CE versions.

11) Development environment
CE Eclipse Plug-in (WEP) for 3.0 is based on Geronimo Eclpse Plug-in (GEP) 3.0, which supports Eclipse Helios or above, and supports Rational Application Developer (RAD) 8.0+. WEP also provides the following enhancements and features:
Bundle installation from WEP.
Working with OSGi free tool to provide OSGi application development support.
Embeded Karaf shell from Eclipse server view.
Creating custom server assemblies.
New datasource pool wizard for EAR application.
New security realm wizard for various applications.
Implementation of refactoring support in Eclipse. When performing a refactoring operation, you can preview all the changes to be carried out for the application, such as artifact ID and <context-root> element of a Web application.
Profiling mode to start a Geronimo server in Eclipse. You can start a Geronimo server in profiling mode if Test and Performance Tools Platform Project is installed.

12) New versions of LDAP servers
CE 3.0 now adds the following directory servers as recommended:
IBM Tivoli Directory Server v6.3
Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition v11.1.1.3.0

13) New versions of database servers
CE 3.0 now adds the following database servers as recommended:
MySQL Community Edition v5.5.9 or later

Edited by: admin on Sep 26, 2011 9:36 AM
Updated on 2012-03-01T03:25:21Z at 2012-03-01T03:25:21Z by Shawn_Jiang
  • ashu12318
    ashu12318
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WASCE v3.0.0.0 is now available

‏2011-10-27T12:23:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I had just installed the WAS-CE 3.0.0.0 in Windows-7 Professional.

at the starting it display First Step Welcome page and the server worked fine.

but later while trying to start the server from the program menu it is not working. A command prompt window appears for very sort span of time and nothing happening.

Kindelly help me.

here i am attaching the log file...!!

Attachments

• Kevan
      Kevan
      121 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T13:24:51Z  in response to ashu12318
      Is your server already running?

You can also look at your server.out file (var/log/server.out) or attach it here...

--kevan
      • ashu12318
        ashu12318
        21 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T14:17:09Z  in response to Kevan
        No server is not running.... because unable to open the administrative consol.

Sorry but there is no other file starting with server name except this one(a properties file)..

hope this will help you..!!
        • Kevan
          Kevan
          121 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T14:53:31Z  in response to ashu12318
          OK. So, let's try a different route.

From command shell/terminal window, cd to your ${WAS_CE}/bin directory. And execute:

'geronimo run'

STDOUT/STDERR output will be sent to your command shell/terminal window.

--kevan
          • ashu12318
            ashu12318
            21 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-27T18:03:12Z  in response to Kevan
            Ya I did that..
            Getting the following messege..

error reading cinfiguration: webServerDirectory/var/cache/org.eclipse.osgi/.manager/.fileTableLock (Access is denied.)

But while checking file permissions Admin user is having full control.

How to solve this?
          • ashu12318
            ashu12318
            21 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-28T09:59:33Z  in response to Kevan
            hi..
            how do I solve the problem ?
            Kindelly suggest me some way to get out of it.. unable to find any way..!!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

WASCE 3.0.0.0 not starting

‏2011-11-05T12:06:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have Windows 7 installed and I installed WASCE 3.0.0.0. The installation went fine till the first page, but when I clicked start the server, a command prompt window opens, and opens up another window. This window does not display anything and goes off after a few seconds.

No log file is present in var/log. I' ve attached the properties file.WASCE 2.1.1.5 is working properly. To check if the setup file had a problem, I verifed the MD5 sum.

Please help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Same Problem

‏2011-11-05T12:09:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have Windows 7 installed and I installed WASCE 3.0.0.0. The installation went fine till the first page, but when I clicked start the server, a command prompt window opens, and opens up another window. This window does not display anything and goes off after a few seconds.

No log file is present in var/log. I' ve attached the properties file. WASCE 2.1.1.5 is working properly. To check if the setup file had a problem, I verifed the MD5 sum.

I tried 'geronimo run '. The output was:

F:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServerCommunityEdition3\bin>geronimo run
    Using GERONIMO_HOME: F:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServerCommunityEdition3

Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
    Using JRE_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7

Main not found
    Please help.
    • Kevan
      Kevan
      121 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Same Problem

‏2011-11-05T16:48:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      WAS CE only supports Java 6. Looks like you're using Java 7.

It is possible to update your configuration (look in etc/config.properties) for Java 7. However, recommend you use Java 6, instead.

--kevan
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2233 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-06T08:58:04Z  in response to Kevan
        Thanks a lot... I installed java 6 now and it's working.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2233 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-06T10:34:58Z  in response to Kevan
        But now I am facing a second problem :( ..

I use IBM RAD trial version and I have WASCE 3.0.0.0 installed. I set the server runtime environment in RAD to WASCE 3.0, There was no option to set the path of the installation. I then tried to start the server by going to the servers console and right clicking on the server and choosing 'start' , but failed..
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2233 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-29T23:51:01Z  in response to Kevan
        I did update the configuration file
        with Java 7 in line 61 and 87

Line 61: org.osgi.framework.executionenvironment=OSGi/Minimum-1.2,J2SE-1.2,J2SE-1.3,J2SE-1.4,J2SE-1.5,JavaSE-1.6,JavaSE-1.7

Line 87: jre-1.7=, \

But, no luck though there was little progress and ended up with following on running the command "geronimo run" ...( server not started).
        Type1: On command line:
        Using GERONIMO_HOME: C:\ibm\WebSphere\AppServerCommunityEdition
        Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
        Using JRE_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
        _ __ __ _____ __ ____________
        | | / /__ / /_ / ___/____ / /_ _ ________ / ____/ ____/
        | | /| / / _ \/ __ \\__ \/ __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ ___/ _ \ / / / __/
        | |/ |/ / __/ /_/ /__/ / /_/ / / / / __/ / / __/ / /___/ /___
        |__/|__/\___/_.___/____/ .___/_/ /_/\___/_/ \___/ \____/_____/
        /_/

IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition (3.0.0.0)

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
        and 'cmd --help' for help on a specific command.
        Hit '<ctrl-d>' or 'osgi:shutdown' to shutdown server.

server> Booting server kernel (in Java 1.7.0_03)...
        Starting WebSphere Application Server Community Edition v3.0.0.0
        [ ] 0% 0s Loading Error in Main: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        [ ] 0% 1s Loading
        • Eclipse Indigo and Java 7 with wsce 3.0 eclipse plugin ***********************
        First time, it didn't started failed.
        But, second, I has started with couple of exceptions.
        Please check the attached file for the console-history.

So, is there new version on way or is there snapshot version which works with latest eclipse and latest Java/JDK ( version 7 )?

--
        Regards,
        ~ Subba Reddy (msubbareddy)
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2233 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-29T23:54:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          **Type2: ran details revised.

Nope, Eclipse level started server also got terminated it self after awhile, with following stdouts on console.

2012-02-29 18:48:15,179 WARN aries Managed persistence context support is no longer available for use with the Aries Blueprint container
          2012-02-29 18:48:15,179 WARN context The TransactionSynchronizationRegistry used to manage persistence contexts is no longer available. Managed persistence contexts will no longer be able to integrate with JTA transactions, and will behave as if no there is no transaction context at all times until a new TransactionSynchronizationRegistry is available. Applications using managed persistence contexts may not work correctly until a new JTA Transaction services implementation is available.
        • Shawn_Jiang
          Shawn_Jiang
          154 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-01T03:25:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          You can refer to [1] on how to add Java 7 profile for CE 3.0.0.0 correctly.

CE_HOME/etc/config.properties

[1]http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1165499