• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-11-29T14:03:46Z by SteveKinder
izhd
izhd
27 Posts

Pinned topic ws.binding and SOAP headers

‏2011-09-22T18:21:36Z |
Hello,

How can we access SOAP headers when using ws.binding in SCA application?

Regards,
Igor
Updated on 2011-11-29T14:03:46Z at 2011-11-29T14:03:46Z by SteveKinder
  • SteveKinder
    SteveKinder
    14 Posts

Re: ws.binding and SOAP headers

‏2011-09-29T13:21:48Z  
    Igor,

Access to SOAP headers is a known requirement for SCA in WebSphere -- we know of the requirement but we don't have support for it yet. In collecting information for that requirement, what scenarios do you envision needing the headers? Is it custom security, audit-correlation framework, or other ?

We helped one customer work around the lack of this support by having a JAX-WS endpoint established and used SCA to include that specific pathway with the rest of their composite application.

We understand this is not ideal.

Pop me a note if you'd like to talk offline on this particular issue.

Steve Kinder
  • NickLaqua
    NickLaqua
    2 Posts

‏2011-11-29T04:35:10Z  
    Igor,

Access to SOAP headers is a known requirement for SCA in WebSphere -- we know of the requirement but we don't have support for it yet. In collecting information for that requirement, what scenarios do you envision needing the headers? Is it custom security, audit-correlation framework, or other ?

We helped one customer work around the lack of this support by having a JAX-WS endpoint established and used SCA to include that specific pathway with the rest of their composite application.

We understand this is not ideal.

Pop me a note if you'd like to talk offline on this particular issue.

Steve Kinder
    Hi Steve,

we have got exactly the same requirement, to expose/promote publicly available interfaces/services from our SCA composites towards the outside world in a open standards fashion. This implies compliance to the generic message standards, including common header structures (e.g. for transaction correlation/auditing).

I am guessing from your post that you are suggesting to implement the service interface as a custom JAX-WS "binding" handler which doesn't use the SCA layer at the frontend but interacts with the other native SCA components at the backend. This custom handler POJO would be packaged up together with the native SCA components into a single composite. Once the capability to access SOAP headers becomes available within the SCA binding.ws, this handler component can be removed from the composite while exposing the native SCA components directly.

Is this understanding of mine correct ?

If yes, do you have some further information around that. It seems as if our development guys have some issues packaging all up into a single composite.

Thx, Nick
  • SteveKinder
    SteveKinder
    14 Posts

‏2011-11-29T14:03:46Z  
    • NickLaqua
    • ‏2011-11-29T04:35:10Z
    Hi Steve,

we have got exactly the same requirement, to expose/promote publicly available interfaces/services from our SCA composites towards the outside world in a open standards fashion. This implies compliance to the generic message standards, including common header structures (e.g. for transaction correlation/auditing).

I am guessing from your post that you are suggesting to implement the service interface as a custom JAX-WS "binding" handler which doesn't use the SCA layer at the frontend but interacts with the other native SCA components at the backend. This custom handler POJO would be packaged up together with the native SCA components into a single composite. Once the capability to access SOAP headers becomes available within the SCA binding.ws, this handler component can be removed from the composite while exposing the native SCA components directly.

Is this understanding of mine correct ?

If yes, do you have some further information around that. It seems as if our development guys have some issues packaging all up into a single composite.

Thx, Nick
    Hi Nick,

If you use JAX-RS handlers for a JEE web service to process your correlation/audit structures you are probably deploying an EAR as well as an SCA composite. Your team member is most likely having an issue understanding how WebSphere has chosen to bundle disparate application packaging. WebSphere introduces the concept of a Business Level Application ("BLA") which allows one to many application packages ("asset") to be grouped and related together. The BLA allows each "asset" to be defined, and then configured through the creating of a configuration unit ("CU").

Here is a link to some BLA education:
    (1) Creating and deploying simple SCA application
    (2) Exploring SCA Feature Pack technical library

If your team has these concepts down, and you still have questions please feel free to post those more specific question on this forum, open a PMR, or drop me a note kinder at us.ibm.com. My team would be happy to help.

Steve Kinder