Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-04T17:48:40Z by mendezedd
mendezedd
mendezedd
10 Posts

Pinned topic RE: IBM.Data.DB2.dll' targets a different processor than the application.

‏2011-09-14T18:34:29Z |
Hello:

I'm developing a Windows forms application using Visual Studio.NET 2005 which connects to DB2 using the IBM DB2 Providers for .NET.
I noticed on the error list window under "Warnings" two entries both related apparently to the same issue:

IBM.Data.DB2.dll' targets a different processor than the application

Warning 1 Referenced assembly 'C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20\IBM.Data.DB2.dll' targets a different processor than the application. InversionesForWindows

Warning 2 Referenced assembly 'C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20\IBM.Data.U2.Ucinet.dll' targets a different processor than the application. InversionesForWindows
see print screen image attached for the complete warning message.

I wonder if this warning is something completely normal, because in fact the application is intended for x86 (Windows) processors, however the DBMS is actually sitting on an IBM I-Series Server which indeed runs with a different type of processor.

I just wanted to be sure about my guess, and if there is any concern that I should worry about for having those two warnings.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions,

Eduardo
Updated on 2012-09-04T17:48:40Z at 2012-09-04T17:48:40Z by mendezedd
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

Re: RE: IBM.Data.DB2.dll' targets a different processor than the application.

‏2011-09-14T19:03:19Z  
    Hi,

I'm going to make the assumption that you are working on a 64-bit Windows system and have a 64-bit DB2 product installed. If this is true, the "C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20\IBM.Data.DB2.dll" is a 64-bit library. The 32-bit equivalent would be located at "C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20_32\IBM.Data.DB2.dll"

However, I think IBM took the Universe/Unidata support out (removed the IBM.Data.U2.Ucinet.dll) of the provider at the same time they put the 32-bit IBM.Data.DB2 provider in the 64-bit DB2 product... if this is true, you might not have the netf20_32 on your particular installation as it may be too early of a release. In this case, I would suggest that you upgrade your client.

In general, I've not had much of a problem ignoring the warning... as long as I have the appropriate library available when I try to execute the program.

Thanks,
    Reece
  • mendezedd
    mendezedd
    10 Posts

‏2011-09-15T15:58:04Z  
    Hi,

I'm going to make the assumption that you are working on a 64-bit Windows system and have a 64-bit DB2 product installed. If this is true, the "C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20\IBM.Data.DB2.dll" is a 64-bit library. The 32-bit equivalent would be located at "C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB_01\bin\netf20_32\IBM.Data.DB2.dll"

However, I think IBM took the Universe/Unidata support out (removed the IBM.Data.U2.Ucinet.dll) of the provider at the same time they put the 32-bit IBM.Data.DB2 provider in the 64-bit DB2 product... if this is true, you might not have the netf20_32 on your particular installation as it may be too early of a release. In this case, I would suggest that you upgrade your client.

In general, I've not had much of a problem ignoring the warning... as long as I have the appropriate library available when I try to execute the program.

Thanks,
    Reece
    Hi Reece:

Thanks a lot for your assistance and help provided!

I am actually working on a 32 bit Windows environment; not 64. Although I did verify on my IBM installation and in fact I do not have the netf20_32 folder as you expected.

Let me know if I should take any further actions or if you have any other recomendation.

Thanks again,

Ed
  • vikrantislav
    vikrantislav
    20 Posts

‏2011-10-06T17:22:24Z  
    • mendezedd
    • ‏2011-09-15T15:58:04Z
    Hi Reece:

Thanks a lot for your assistance and help provided!

I am actually working on a 32 bit Windows environment; not 64. Although I did verify on my IBM installation and in fact I do not have the netf20_32 folder as you expected.

Let me know if I should take any further actions or if you have any other recomendation.

Thanks again,

Ed
    Ed,

i've been ignoring this warning for a while too. one thing you can do to get rid of it is to specify the target CPU of your .net app when you compile it. i think it defaults to being 32bit/64bit agnostic. if you know all the clients running your app will be 32bit windows, then you can set the target cpu of your app to be 32bit and you won't get this warning anymore when you compile.
  • mendezedd
    mendezedd
    10 Posts

‏2012-09-04T17:48:40Z  
    Ed,

i've been ignoring this warning for a while too. one thing you can do to get rid of it is to specify the target CPU of your .net app when you compile it. i think it defaults to being 32bit/64bit agnostic. if you know all the clients running your app will be 32bit windows, then you can set the target cpu of your app to be 32bit and you won't get this warning anymore when you compile.
    Thanks vikrantislav!, i did what you said and the Wargings where gone. Thanks a lot!