Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-11-10T15:35:26Z by rsubramani@us.ibm.com
SuzeMaxfeld
SuzeMaxfeld
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Advantages over native database auditing

‏2011-09-08T11:55:15Z |
I'm a student concentrating on Information Security. I've read some information on Guardium. My questions are:

a) With new advances in processor and disk technology, has there been any benchmark testing of Guardium vs. native database auditing?
b) Various databases release new features at various times. How does Guardium keep up with the changes? Particularly in SQL.
c) Where can I get a collection of whitepapers on Guardium.

Thanks very much
Suze
Updated on 2011-11-10T15:35:26Z at 2011-11-10T15:35:26Z by rsubramani@us.ibm.com
  • rsubramani@us.ibm.com
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Advantages over native database auditing

‏2011-09-09T20:56:59Z  in response to SuzeMaxfeld
    Hi Suze:

Even with new advances, I/O still remains the most expensive activity of a database. Audit gathering by Gaurdium happens outside of the database. This gives certain distinct advantages:

Different database servers have different audit capabilities. By using a product like Guardium, a homogeneous audit report can be obtained regardless of the database server. This also means that the requirements of the various pieces of legislation can be met, without resorting to mechanisms like triggers and SQL based fine grained auditing. These mechanisms increase the processing time, resulting in performance problems in very large installations with several thousands of concurrent connections.

I will gather a set of links for the Guardium white papers and post it here.

Thanks,
    Ravi.
    • SuzeMaxfeld
      SuzeMaxfeld
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-11T11:10:55Z  in response to rsubramani@us.ibm.com
      Thanks Ravi!

That was useful information. I look forward to the collection of Guardium white papers.

Suze
  • rsubramani@us.ibm.com
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-10T15:35:26Z  in response to SuzeMaxfeld
    Hi Suze:

You can find a collection of white papers in this web site:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/guardium/library.html#White%20papers

Thanks,
    Ravi.