Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-09-13T16:51:57Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
141 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Error when installing WSRR 7.5 on Solaris SPARC

‏2011-09-07T15:45:03Z |
I was doing the installation following the instructions at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v7r5/index.jsp , the "Custom Installation" section, the part "including the installation of WAS". Everything went fine until step 9, where I clicked "Install". After a while, I got the error message "No installation adapter registered for type: nativeSolaris". The log file is attached.

Any clue of what the problem could be?

Thank you,
Ugo
Updated on 2011-09-13T16:51:57Z at 2011-09-13T16:51:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    141 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Error when installing WSRR 7.5 on Solaris SPARC

‏2011-09-07T17:46:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You're doing a custom install.
    Did you select to install WAS 32bit or 64bit? It should have been an option on one of the panels you'd have seen in InstallationManager.
    By the looks of the log file you're on Sparc64, so maybe try installing 64bit WAS.

Please let me know if that works - I'm not aware of 32bit WAS not installing on Sparc64, but its possible, and if its a limitation I would like to know so I can the WAS team to investigate.

Regards,

Chris
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      141 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-07T19:43:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Chris,

Yes, I selected 32bits, even though the installation is on SPARC 64bits. The reason I did that is because I wanted to use the Profile Management Tool to create the WAS profile, and I read that I cannot use the Tool on WSRR installations on 64-bit architectures. (Does using the 32bits install option qualify as a "32-bit architecture", or is it still a 64-bit architecture because of the SPARC-64, so that I can only use the manageprofiles command?).

Thank you,
      Ugo
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        141 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-08T06:44:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Yes, the PMT is only included in 64bit.
        However given you can't currently install the 32bit version for some reason, its worth trying the 64bit version.

If that works then I can speak to WAS to ask for their advice on why the 32bit version wouldn't install.

Regards,

Chris
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          141 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-08T16:20:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I can try the 64-bits version, just to see if it installs. But I definitely need to use the PMT, so the 64-bits version is not the way to go for me.

Before I try the 64-bits install, I need to know if after that I can completely uninstall it and leave the server "clean" for a future 32-bits installation (assuming that is even possible) - I don't have direct control of the server, so I cannot just reinstall the OS to get a clean environment for a future 32-bits install.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            141 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-08T16:35:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Yes you can - using InstallationManager.
            InstallationManager will be installed in the /opt/IBM/InstallationManager directory and by running /opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/IBMIM and selecting uninstall you will be able to remove WAS, BusinessSpace and WSRR.
            Then simply delete the WAS install directory (the uninstall will have left a few logs behind).

You do not need to uninstall InstallationManager, it will not affect any future installs.

Cheers,

Chris
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              141 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-13T16:51:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              It turned out the problem was with using the regular tar utility to unpack the installation files. After switching to the gnu tar (gtar) instead, the problem went away. Go figure ...