5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-09T15:43:08Z by GOICEHOCKEY
hockey
hockey
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Time Based Partitioned Powerplay Cube Error Message

‏2011-08-29T17:51:55Z |
Good Afternoon ....

I can successfully build a time based cube which includes the .MDC, .VDC and folder with the time based .MDC files. When trying to open the cube in Analysis Studio, I receive the following error: Problem in the Time-based partitioned PowerCube definition file. Specify ppeLogFile in PowerPlay DataServer in .ini. (Virtual Cube)
From what I’ve read on this error, the directory pointers in the .VDC need to point to the directory folder containing the time based .MDC files. I’ve tried several different variations of putting the directory/folder name in the .VDC file, but I always get this error message. I’ve hit a wall and don’t know what else to try. If anyone has run into this and has conquered it, please let me know.

Thank U .....
Updated on 2011-10-03T17:17:28Z at 2011-10-03T17:17:28Z by hockey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Time Based Partitioned Powerplay Cube Error Message

‏2011-08-29T22:17:39Z  in response to hockey
    There are examples of the vdc file syntax in the Transformer User Guide in the section "Customizing a Time-based Partitioned Cube". What is the actual path to the main mdc stub file, the vdc file, and the time partition mdc files you are trying to use? What options have you tried in the vdc file?

Also, the vdc file should be created for you automatically when you do a full cube build. Does the cube work when you use the vdc file created through this process?
    • hockey
      hockey
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-07T13:17:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Phil,

Thank U for replying. I've tried the different syntax recommendations from the user guide, plus I've tried a few of my own. The files that are created automatically thru the transformer build process do not work. The server that the files get built on is an AIX box. Does that cause any kind of issue? I can build basic cubes (mdc files only) and >2G cubes (mdc and mdp files) and have no problems. It just seems to be with the time based folder file that gives me the problem.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        15496 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-07T22:16:00Z  in response to hockey
        If the vdc file generated by the cube build does not work then you would be best to contact IBM support.

To look for workarounds it would be good if you could provide the following information:

1. The full path of the original files created during the cube build (list all the file names and their associated paths).
        2. The contents of the vdc file
        3. The full paths to the all the files when you are trying to publish/access the cube
        • hockey
          hockey
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-03T17:17:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Phil W. Thank you for your help. We finally figured out the problem. When building the time based cube, it's final resting place was on an AIX server. The files were going through a Samba share which sent all the files over in binary which the .VDC file didn't like since it needed to be in ascii. Once we knew this we cleaned up the control characters in the .VDC file and now all is good with Analysis Studio.
          • GOICEHOCKEY
            GOICEHOCKEY
            135 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-09T15:43:08Z  in response to hockey

Hey, I know this was opened a long time ago but I am just giving it shut.

I am stuck with the same problem moving files to a Linux box. How did you cleaned up the control characters?

Thx a lot. Go Hockey!!