Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-24T17:57:55Z by SystemAdmin
styerd
styerd
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic No valid Linux distribution CD/DVD found

‏2011-08-23T11:56:04Z |
I'm using IIT to install RHEL6 in a parition on a new p7. I get a "BRLIW0058E No valid Linux distribution CD/DVD found" after loading the Linux installation DVD. I get the same result with a RHEL5.5 DVD or when I'm using file backed optical devices. I see some indication that I may need additional RPMS, pam-devel from the Linux distribution and a set from IBMs IIT DVD. Am I to understand that I need to install these from the command line after I've booted the ITT DVD? but before starting the welcomecenter?
Updated on 2011-08-24T17:57:55Z at 2011-08-24T17:57:55Z by SystemAdmin
  • styerd
    styerd
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: No valid Linux distribution CD/DVD found

‏2011-08-24T17:31:25Z  in response to styerd
    Now I'm wondering why I'm using IIT at all. I just booted the RHEL6 for POWER DVD and it installed just fine into a partition without IIT. Seeems to work with the HMC. Am I missing something?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      104 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: No valid Linux distribution CD/DVD found

‏2011-08-24T17:57:55Z  in response to styerd
      No, you're not missing anything.

The Distro CDs/DVDs will work fine. We just put up an example flow of the installation step for RHEL 6.1 on a Think Power Linux wiki page.

The professed advantage of the IBM Installation Toolkit is it should make things easier, and it nicely delivers quite a few value-add newer packages for running Power systems.

I generally remember the Installation Toolkit after I've done an install, so will mount that DVD, and will directly install the packages separately.