Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-21T01:05:29Z by jessusniww
jessusniww
jessusniww
11 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WebSphere sMash support secondary development?

‏2011-08-17T13:35:11Z |
hi,i want to know whether WebSphere sMash support secondary development and what kind of application that the WebSphere sMash can create?
the application that WebSphere sMash created is based on browser/server or client/server or can run on smart phone?
thank you
Updated on 2011-08-21T01:05:29Z at 2011-08-21T01:05:29Z by jessusniww
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9224 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WebSphere sMash support secondary development?

‏2011-08-17T14:35:35Z  in response to jessusniww
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question. I believe sMash is specifically intended to support secondary development, but please let me know if I've missed your point.

WebSphere sMash is a both a development and runtime solution, enabling the creation and hosting of modern web applications. By itself sMash doesn't really DO anything. It provides interfaces to be used for composition and hosting of custom applications (I think this is what you mean by secondary development).

The key elements provided by sMash are integrated Groovy and PHP scripting language support (along with native Java), a built-in RESTful resource model, integrated data management, integrated JSON, DOJO, ATOM, and browser-based tooling (AppBuilder). Applications are "composed" by including modules from our hosted repository as needed and adding your own custom code. For deployment, the application IS the server - it opens and manages its own port to listen for incoming requests. It also has intelligent JVM termination and recycle logic in the runtime to keep a minimal memory footprint.

sMash has no device-specific capabilities for things like phones and tablets. It runs as a web server on supported platforms (versions of windows, linux, aix). It will generate HTML/Javascript that can execute in a browser. Clients are generally browser based, but a common pattern is for remote applications to leverage RESTful resources hosted on sMash applications via RESTful HTTP calls.

The best place to get started understanding what sMash can do and how to do it is our Getting Started Guide at http://www.projectzero.org/zero/indy.dev/latest/docs/zero.gettingstarted.doc/.
    • jessusniww
      jessusniww
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-18T05:25:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      first,thank you for your reply.
      Your advice is very useful for me.Form http://www.projectzero.org/zero/indy.dev/latest/docs/zero.gettingstarted.doc/,I know a lot.But there are some questions I can't get answer from the artical.
      You say the sMash itself doesn't really DO anything,it only provides interfaces to be used and it may be support secondary development.If can I provide some interfaces to meet my self need in sMash.If the answer is true, how to provide the interfaces.
      AppBuilder is a browser-based tooling,if I develop applications by remote,the application save in server,the compile、debug and test how to work,is it done in client-side or server-side?
      Flow Editor is a visual tool to develop sMash application,which base technology can do this?
      sMash can build Wiget,Wiget can run on mobile device,but you say "sMash has no device-specific capabilities for things like phones and tablets", I can't understand your mean.
      The application that sMash generate can execute in a browser,this is B/S pattern.Is it can generate the application is base on desktop?
      Because my english is poor , I would like you to understand the meaning of the expression.
      thank you again.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        9224 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-18T18:07:18Z  in response to jessusniww
        >> If can I provide some interfaces to meet my self need in sMash.If the answer is true, how to provide the interfaces.
        The most common pattern is to create handlers as RESTful resources, and leverage those handlers from client code (generally javascript) that runs in the browser. See the Programming section of the Developers Guide, WebSphere sMash Basics section (twistie) at http://www.projectzero.org/sMash/1.1.x/docs/zero.devguide.doc/.

The best way to understand application architecture and how to build applications ay be to walk through the Developer Guide tutorials and samples at http://www.projectzero.org/sMash/1.1.x/docs/zero.devguide.doc/samples.doc/SamplesOverview.html. Start with the Introductory column. They will show how to use appbuilder to create and run your applications.

Flow editor is a custom sMash application, leveraging Java and Dojo. It generates custom flow sml documents that can be processed by our flow engine.

sMash has some limited support for building iWidgets - one specific type of widget. There is no device-specific logic included - if a device has capability to execute iWidgets, it might work with a sMash-built iWidget. sMash also provides Dojo, which includes Dojo Widgets for use in Dojo based web pages (javascript-based).

Nothing in sMash helps with building a desktop UI application. I am not sure whether it could be done. sMash provides server-side capabilities for use by any externally written application, and provides much support for building modern (scripted) web pages in a browser/server pattern.
        • jessusniww
          jessusniww
          11 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T06:44:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          From your reply,I know more about sMash than before。But now I have some questions .
          First,for the App Builder the online program、online compile、online debug、online test is how to implementation,is it done on server-side or client-side?
          Secondly,"WebSphere® sMash plug-ins for Eclipse are non-released components and generally for platform developers,App Builder is the recommended tool for application development",I don't know the difference between "platform developers" and "application development".
          Thank you.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            9224 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T19:45:26Z  in response to jessusniww
            >>First,for the App Builder the online program、online compile、online debug、online test is how to implementation,is it done on server-side or client-side?
            Both, I guess. The application that hosts appbuilder is on the server-side. When you create and edit an application in appbuilder, those files exist on the server side. When you start an application, it runs on the server side. But you control all of this through the AppBuilder UI running in a browser on the client side.

>> I don't know the difference between "platform developers" and "application development".
            I don't either. I'll guess that it refers the broader "WebSphere Platform", so somebody who develops applications for multiple different WebSphere products (and would generally use eclipse or RAD). Neither the eclipse plug-in or AppBuiler is supported at a product level. They are both maintained in an "as-is" state, and freely available from projectzero.org.
            • jessusniww
              jessusniww
              11 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-21T01:05:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Thank you for your reply.
              From your answer,I can't get the information that I want.
              I don't know whether other way to obtain the information.