Topic
17 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-23T14:14:17Z by SystemAdmin
jfos
jfos
11 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Need instructions

‏2011-08-16T15:44:02Z |
Can I please get a link to some detailed instructions from someone thats had success at deploying an image that was created.
I can create synchronized images from handmade and downloaded bundles, I can successfully upload the images to a WCA device... I have yet to deploy successfully, it always dies with some cant register image or some other error. I am wondering if "virtuser" or some other such non-root user is required for the Activation Engine to properly run? The setup manual is the only documentation I can find and its vaugue at best on actually detailing image setup for more than just a basic OS image, any step by step or even screen shots (so I can make my picture look like your picture) would help. Thanks!

Re-trying, will post a better error message than "it doesnt work" and logs.
Updated on 2011-08-23T14:14:17Z at 2011-08-23T14:14:17Z by SystemAdmin
  • jfos
    jfos
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need instructions

‏2011-08-17T04:02:41Z  in response to jfos
    Load failed: TypeError: _ca2.uri is null

I get this immediately after clicking the sync "button" and a synch failed message appears, what logs do you guys need from the ICON server?
    • rewillen
      rewillen
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T10:10:24Z  in response to jfos
      Thank Julian. I'll have someone contact you today.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T15:51:40Z  in response to jfos
      Hi Julian...

Would you please zip up and attach the following directory to this topic:

/drouter/ramdisk2/mnt/raid-volumne/raid0/logs

Also it would be ideal if you could reproduce the problem before capturing the logs so the error is evident right at the bottom of the logs.

Thanks!

Ethan
      • jfos
        jfos
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T16:51:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I repeated the steps right before I created the tarball
        • jfos
          jfos
          11 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T16:54:00Z  in response to jfos
          tarball not attaching?
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            23 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T16:57:40Z  in response to jfos
            I'm not seeing an attached file...maybe I'm missing it. Would you please send to my email?

ekm@us.ibm.com

Hopefully it's not more than ~10MB.

Ethan
            • jfos
              jfos
              11 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:03:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Its 16 actually, which is more than likely the issue. Got an ftp site?
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              23 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:13:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              This is going to sound annoying but would you mind opening the tar and just removing all the zipped up error/trace files? I assume the error.log and trace.log together aren't that large and these should be the only ones I need if the error was produced right before the tar operation.

If this is still too big then I'll get you an ftp site...but I need to dig up details on that and if we can use the forum or email it would be easier.

Thanks!
              • jfos
                jfos
                11 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:21:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                For you... =) np

Attachments

• jfos
                  jfos
                  11 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:23:56Z  in response to jfos
                  trace
                  • jfos
                    jfos
                    11 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:29:58Z  in response to jfos
                    Hmmm the trace.log is zipped because its 45MB of text =/sorrry submitted last nights zip up in post above.

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    23 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:31:46Z  in response to jfos
                    hey...would you please send me the same two files from the WCA system after the import fails? You should be able to get them via the UI on the Troubleshooting page.
                    • jfos
                      jfos
                      11 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:36:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Unfortunately we no longer have that device any more, we are upgrading to the IWD, was trying this on that appliance, but cant get an image to export... yet =). This all used to work on this exact image, except for the actual deployment hehe. I think we may have corrupted something changing HVs? Ive noticed the DB hangs on to names (IE cant reuse names for HVgroups or Images). Is there a more recent build than April of '11? Maybe I could just reload a new build and be in better shape? Please advise.
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        23 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T17:42:38Z  in response to jfos
                        Yeah, let me just make sure I understand the scenario. So you were able to import a base image into ICON (or create one from an ISO) then you extended it in ICON, added some bundles, and successfully synchronized it in ICON. At that point you exported it as an OVA and tried to import it into a WCA, right? That's when the import fails and you see that ca2.uri null error?

If this is indeed the scenario then I can't think of any more troubleshooting steps to take without the WCA logs, since this is the actual failure point.

As for IWD, have you tried importing the ICON-created ova into IWD?
                        • jfos
                          jfos
                          11 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T18:08:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Almost... I was able to create an image from an iso I imported (RHEL5), then add bundles to the image (WCA Activation Engine bundle from IBM, some simple install scripts for DB2 and RAFW. The synchronization would succeed and then an OVA could be exported from ICON and successfully imported to WCA 2.0.0.2, when we tried deploying, it would fail.

Now today, my new problem is coming back to that same ICON instance, and cant sync the image after adding the same bundles that worked a few weeks back. Once I can successfully synch an image, export, then import, I will be attempting to deploy. The only change is the ESX HV was changed to another physical device and a new HV instance created in ICON and the old one deleted.

When I click synchronize, I get a sync failed immediately, then if I refresh the screen I get the other error.
                          • jfos
                            jfos
                            11 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-22T16:33:17Z  in response to jfos
                            So... weirdly enough, I checked the ICON server this morning ( I was hoping to find just the right place to kick it...) and I noticed the file sync'd successfully, even though it did not run the DB config script I had in there as a bundle... its still showing in "planned" on the software tab while everything else is in "installed". This was the results last time I played with the tool, and I could export this and load it on a WCA and get an error on actual deployment. Going to retry this again today, while I await the answers to what you have already looked into and the 3 additional questions below. Thanks!

Question 1 Could the error earlier in this thread/post just have been related to the GUI/web front end and the sync process just went ahead not realizing the human couldn't see the results page?

Question 2 Should I see a completely installed RAF server in the target VM that was created in the sync, or just the setup/install files? (not really sure how the sync works other than the very high level view given in ICON presentations)

Question 3 Is there some sort of "how to" documentation on using bundles and what the extent of their capabilities are? (I might be pushing past the limits of the products intended usage, but really didnt think so)
                            • SystemAdmin
                              SystemAdmin
                              23 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-23T14:14:17Z  in response to jfos
                              If the UI said sync failed then it wouldn't have proceeded trying to sync in the backend. So something was funny earlier. Perhaps there were network problems or some internal ICON problem.

Yeah, if the sync completes then you should see a new VM on your HV that is based off of the image you synced in ICON. This VM will exist until you delete or capture the new image in ICON.

All we have for doc is what's available on alphaworks. In general we tried to make the bundle idea as simple as possible. Basically it's just a collection of scripts that the bundle creator writes and optionally binaries for products. These scripts drive the installation and configuration. So for very large software products you'd want the binaries to reside on a server somewhere and you'd write the bundle install script to go get the binaries first and then install them. Let me know if you have additional questions on this and we can setup a call or something.