IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-08-23T13:32:31Z by jscheel
SalvaG
SalvaG
5 Posts

Pinned topic Newbie on Power: How to install RH onto P700 on a BladeCenter HS22?

‏2011-08-16T10:11:12Z |
Hi all,
i'm completely new using Power architecture and this question may be a silly one, but I'm fighting with it for 2 days...
I have a BladeCenter HS22 with 3 Intel Blades and a P700. All the Intel installations were made using remote media, and I'm trying to do the P700 installation using the RH DVD media placed at the MT.

After connecting to BladeCenter using putty and setting the MT to the P700, I boot the blade to SMS Menu and I choose this:

5. Select Boot Options -> 1. Select Install/Boot Device -> 3. CD/DVD -> 6. USB -> 1. 1 USB CD-ROM ( loc=U78A5.001.WIHB252-P1-T1-L1-L2-L3-L0-L0 ) -> 2. Normal Mode Boot

After choosing to exit SMS I think it must start from RedHat DVD media, but I get 'No Operating Systems Installed' message.

What can I do to install RH onto this p700??? I don't have a NIM server, so a remote installation is not possible.

Thanks for all

Best regards.
Updated on 2011-08-23T13:32:31Z at 2011-08-23T13:32:31Z by jscheel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

Re: Newbie on Power: How to install RH onto P700 on a BladeCenter HS22?

‏2011-08-17T02:40:26Z  
    Note:IBM Blade HS series is Intel architecture,but IBM Blade JS series is Power architecture.

Your RedHat DVD Media is for i386 or x86_64 (in other word, it is for HS server),and JS server needs RedHat DVD Media named rhel-server-5.7-ppc-dvd.iso

So,you know why?
  • SalvaG
    SalvaG
    5 Posts

‏2011-08-17T10:48:00Z  
    Note:IBM Blade HS series is Intel architecture,but IBM Blade JS series is Power architecture.

Your RedHat DVD Media is for i386 or x86_64 (in other word, it is for HS server),and JS server needs RedHat DVD Media named rhel-server-5.7-ppc-dvd.iso

So,you know why?
    Hi,
    first of all thanks for your reply.
    Now I got the invoice of the product, and AFAIK, the server was bough to install PowerVM inside. Hence, the DVDs are for installing x86 VMs...
    I've downloaded the IBM Installation Toolkit v5, and it says RHEL 5.7 is not supported yet (last version is 5.6), so I'm downloading that version from the RH website and, after burn it, I'll install it using the toolkit. I'll let you know.

I don't know why they bough a power server to install it into HS22 blade center :(
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    31 Posts

‏2011-08-23T12:37:56Z  
    • SalvaG
    • ‏2011-08-17T10:48:00Z
    Hi,
    first of all thanks for your reply.
    Now I got the invoice of the product, and AFAIK, the server was bough to install PowerVM inside. Hence, the DVDs are for installing x86 VMs...
    I've downloaded the IBM Installation Toolkit v5, and it says RHEL 5.7 is not supported yet (last version is 5.6), so I'm downloading that version from the RH website and, after burn it, I'll install it using the toolkit. I'll let you know.

I don't know why they bough a power server to install it into HS22 blade center :(
    SalvaG, Blade Center chasises are architecture independent. One may mix blades of various types without any run time issues. Engine.Wang is correct, however, that you need to use the correct version of your Linux distribution to install. It's possible to run Intel Linux on Power Blades and vice versa.

So, ensure that you're using the correct media for your blade and let us know if you have an additional problems. You may use the Installation Toolkit or install directly from the vendor media. If you install from the media directly, IBM has some additional packages you'll want to install. See the Service and Productive Tools website for this list.

Finally, I'd encourage you to join the new Think Power Linux community. As noted by the first post in this forum, we're migrating our efforts and information to this newly formed community. We'll be more than happy to take your questions on our Message Board. Additionally, you'll find lots of new information in the Wiki section of the community.

Thanks for Thinking Power Linux!!!
  • SalvaG
    SalvaG
    5 Posts

‏2011-08-23T12:47:53Z  
    • jscheel
    • ‏2011-08-23T12:37:56Z
    SalvaG, Blade Center chasises are architecture independent. One may mix blades of various types without any run time issues. Engine.Wang is correct, however, that you need to use the correct version of your Linux distribution to install. It's possible to run Intel Linux on Power Blades and vice versa.

So, ensure that you're using the correct media for your blade and let us know if you have an additional problems. You may use the Installation Toolkit or install directly from the vendor media. If you install from the media directly, IBM has some additional packages you'll want to install. See the Service and Productive Tools website for this list.

Finally, I'd encourage you to join the new Think Power Linux community. As noted by the first post in this forum, we're migrating our efforts and information to this newly formed community. We'll be more than happy to take your questions on our Message Board. Additionally, you'll find lots of new information in the Wiki section of the community.

Thanks for Thinking Power Linux!!!
    After downloading the RHEL 5.6 I could install it... sorry but I though the DVD media contains PPC distro too.

Thanks!
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    31 Posts

‏2011-08-23T13:32:31Z  
    • SalvaG
    • ‏2011-08-23T12:47:53Z
    After downloading the RHEL 5.6 I could install it... sorry but I though the DVD media contains PPC distro too.

Thanks!
    Not a problem. Thank you for re-posting that you had success!

I see that you've joined the Think Power Linux Community. We look forward to helping with any other issues.