Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-30T07:07:45Z by SystemAdmin
VenkataSundar-M
VenkataSundar-M
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to create Profile for WAS 8 for developer in Ubuntu 11.04 Server

‏2011-08-12T06:35:09Z |
Dear Members,

I installed the Installation Manager and then the WAS 8 for developer. The installation was successful till this point. I tried creating the Profile, but the wizard was unable to complete the process. It is creating appropriate folders, scripts etc under WAS8_install/AppServer/profiles directory.
Please can you let me know what is going wrong.

Regards

Venkata Sundar M.
Updated on 2012-03-30T07:07:45Z at 2012-03-30T07:07:45Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to create Profile for WAS 8 for developer in Ubuntu 11.04 Server

‏2011-08-12T15:11:50Z  in response to VenkataSundar-M
    More information would be needed to know why the profile creation was unsuccessful.

The log file at "WAS8_install/AppServer/logs/manageprofiles/<PROFILE_NAME>_create.log" will need to be examined. Depending on what that log file indicates, it is possible that log files within "WAS8_install/AppServer/logs/manageprofiles/<PROFILE_NAME>/" and "WAS8_install/AppServer/profiles/<PROFILE_NAME>/logs/" would need to be examined as well.

Best Regards,
    Alex Schultz
    WebSphere Profiles Team
    • VenkataSundar-M
      VenkataSundar-M
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-17T22:55:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Dear Alex Schultz,

sorry for the late reply. I have attached the create log. The other requested log are either empty or not available.

Thank you,

Venkat.
    • VenkataSundar-M
      VenkataSundar-M
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-26T03:14:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

Any directions on this issue please.

Thank you

Venkat.
      • gckleon
        gckleon
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-08T15:40:31Z  in response to VenkataSundar-M
        Can you please confirm that /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs/manageprofiles/AppSrv01/wsadminListener.log
        does not exist ?
        If it does, please provide this file for further analysis.

If it doesn't, can you please try creating a profile via command-line with :

/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/bin/manageprofiles.sh -create -profileName Test01

... and report if this succeeds or fails (if it fails, as above, please provide
        /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs/manageprofiles/Test01/wsadminListener.log if it exists).

Best Regards,
        George Kleon
        WebSphere Development
        • VenkataSundar-M
          VenkataSundar-M
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-20T15:06:45Z  in response to gckleon
          Hi,

I tried to create the profile with profile name as "profile01".
          Got the following error message:

INSTCONFFAILED: The profile could not be created. For more information, consult the /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs/manageprofiles/profile01_create.log file

The PMT log is attached in the next message.

The server is Ubuntu 11.04 64bit. I have installed necessary 32bit libs (as suggested in the ibm site) to get the IM installed on the machine.

Thank you and Regards

Venkat.
        • VenkataSundar-M
          VenkataSundar-M
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-20T15:07:49Z  in response to gckleon
          Hi,

The PMT log for the above installation.

Thank you and regards

Venkat.

Attachments

• daniel.vasilev
            daniel.vasilev
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-22T15:53:46Z  in response to VenkataSundar-M
            Hello. My name is Daniel and I am working on problem.

I would like to thank you for supplying the logs before.

In order for me to proceed with reproducing the problem I need to know weather you were logged in as a root user or some other user on Ubuntu.

Also, I would like you to supply us the output of running <WAS_HOME>/bin/versionInfo.sh
            Best Regards,
            Daniel Vasilev
            WebSphere Install and configuration
            • VenkataSundar-M
              VenkataSundar-M
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-09-22T22:11:00Z  in response to daniel.vasilev
              Hi Daniel,

I have attached the output of versionInfo.sh (VersionInfo.txt).

I login using a normal user. To run the manageprofiles.sh, I used "sudo".
              This include the installation of IM was also "sudo".

Thank you and Regards

Venkat.
            • VenkataSundar-M
              VenkataSundar-M
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-05T12:24:52Z  in response to daniel.vasilev
              Hi,

Any directions on this issue please !!

Regards

Venkat.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                64 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-07T08:45:57Z  in response to VenkataSundar-M
                Can you check what version of /bin/sh you are using with 'ls -l /bin/sh' ?

If this returns 'lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2011-06-01 13:09 /bin/sh -> dash' ...
                ... then you've found the reason: WAS does not work with the stripped-down dash, it needs a full bash.

You can fix this with

'sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash' and answering 'no' to the resulting dialog.

This will replace the link from /bin/sh to /bin/dash by one to /bin/bash.

The only downside is, that it will make your system boot slightly slower.

Hope this helps,
                Rainer
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  64 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-30T07:07:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  It works! Thanks redrain.
                  I wonder why WAS is so sensitive to the type of CLI - it shouldn't be. Anyway WAS should check the type and at least inform about it or even reconfigure itself to use the required one - it should be fixed.