Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-29T13:59:47Z by SystemAdmin
bbcac
bbcac
25 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Complex Group Critieria for Virtual Windows and Physical Windows machines

‏2011-08-05T18:35:56Z |
I need a method by which to select critiria for both And AND Or in the define: critieria protion of the group creation wizard. For instance, I need to be able to have all windows server os's that are also on virtual hardware. I know how to show all physical systems, and I know how to show all Server Os's but I don't know how to make a group that is the subset of each.

Is there anyway to do that in v6.2.1?
Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2013-01-29T13:59:47Z at 2013-01-29T13:59:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Complex Group Critieria for Virtual Windows and Physical Windows machines

‏2011-08-08T15:39:38Z  in response to bbcac
    Are you needing something different than the default gruop

Groups
    > Groups by System Type
    > Operating Systems
    > Windows® Systems (View Members)

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills
    • bbcac
      bbcac
      25 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-08T17:14:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I need a group call windows physical, and another one called windows virtual. I don't think thosew default groups are.available.
  • pmatt
    pmatt
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-09T15:02:27Z  in response to bbcac
    You could create a dynamic group with criteria that would only be found on a virtual Windows machine. For example, populate the group with systems that have VMware tools installed. Or that have a VMware SVGA II adapter in the hardware inventory. I would try and make it as generic as possible so everything VMware is captured.

If that works, then the physical windows boxes should just be the same criteria but negated.

hope that helps
    Paul
    • bbcac
      bbcac
      25 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-18T19:19:55Z  in response to pmatt
      Below is a picture of the group editior "define" window that I use to create a group of physical windows servers. It works great. What do I add to this definition so that it only includes virtual servers?

The issue as far as I can so it, is that the windows criteria I specified is built around the "OR" operator. I need the ability to have it include "OR" operators around the OSType then an "AND" operator to only include server.models or type "VMware Virtual Platform" like noted below. However it seems the ISD only lets you choose "AND" or "OR" but not a combination of both. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but is it possible to do this from the command line interface?

((Resource Type: OperatingSystem; OperatingSystem.OSType = 69) OR (Resource Type: OperatingSystem; OperatingSystem.OSType = 70) OR (Resource Type: OperatingSystem; OperatingSystem.OSType = 76) OR (Resource Type: OperatingSystem; OperatingSystem.OSType = 77) AND (Resource Type: OperatingSystem; Relationship: OperatingSystem runsOn ComputerSystem with filter: Server.Model = 'VMware Virtual Platform')
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T06:52:36Z  in response to bbcac
        Hi bbcac

There is no possibility to a) combine "AND" and "OR" and b) use "AND" when using different resource types.

This is how I would do it:
        Use a more generic approach for the Windows filter -> OS Type contains "Windows" (select "use entry from below" in the dropdown). By doing this you don't need the OR operand. As second criteria select "related resource criteria -> system -> server" and the choose manufacturer or model. This way you can use "AND" to combine the filters.

I attached two screenshots of how I did it.

regards, Marco
        • bbcac
          bbcac
          25 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T12:14:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks so much for you input, however there is an issue with that solution in that I think that would include desktop OS's as well. I need to only include server versions.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            13279 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T12:45:50Z  in response to bbcac
            Then how about just adding "Server" to the filter as well?
            -> contains "Windows Server"

This still works for me...
          • bbcac
            bbcac
            25 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T14:26:13Z  in response to bbcac
            If "OS Type" and put contains "Windows" I get no members in my group

If I choose "Operating Systems Type" my only operators are "Equal To" or "Not equal to" but atleast it will list specific OS's and choosing any server OS results in the group having members.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              13279 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T14:33:52Z  in response to bbcac
              could you post a screenshot of the properties of your "windows virtual" group please?
              • bbcac
                bbcac
                25 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T15:47:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Here is the screenshot of the current properties of my virtual windows group.

As it stands now, the group is empty.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  13279 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T16:31:37Z  in response to bbcac
                  This is indeed strange. I attached my property screenshot together with the physical machine's OS properties. On my ISD Server this works. As you can see on the Server OS property screen, "Windows" is reported in "OS Type" and "Reported OS Type" and therefore my system is being picked up by the group filter. Maybe you can try to use "Reported OS Type" as Filter criteria. Otherwise you might want to contact support for further assistance...
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    13279 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T13:59:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    I am trying to create a dynamic group in ISD 6.3.2. I find two criterias for the operating system. 1. Operating System Type and 2. OS Type.
                    Can you le tme know the difference between these two criteria?

Thanks in advance,
                    Sprk