Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-23T18:10:17Z by RajivKonkimalla
RajivKonkimalla
RajivKonkimalla
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to migrate application from galssfish 3.1 to was 8.0?

‏2011-08-02T15:51:09Z |
I just want to know the best way to migrate an application developed using JAVA EE6 to WAS 8.0. I have developed the app using Netbeans 6.9.1 IDE and deployed in Glassfish 3.1. I have used the following technologies - JSF/JPA/EJB 3.1/RESTFUL Webservices and deployed as war (I did not do as ear). I am very new to WAS and just started using RAD. I am not sure whether the migration toolkit can solve my problem. I would really appreciate if somebody can show some light..
Updated on 2011-08-23T18:10:17Z at 2011-08-23T18:10:17Z by RajivKonkimalla
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to migrate application from galssfish 3.1 to was 8.0?

‏2011-08-02T21:49:03Z  in response to RajivKonkimalla
    Hi Rajiv,
    The WebSphere Application Migration Toolkit does not currently support migration from Glassfish to WebSphere.

That said, I will try to give you a few pointers to get you started with RAD and WebSphere 8.0. You can import a war file into RAD to create a Dynamic Web Project. If your war file does not have source, you can manually import the source packages into the source folder. When you installed RAD there are optional Features including the WebSphere runtimes that you can use for development. If you install the WebSphere Application Server V8.0 test environment, you will get the jar files and artifacts you need to compile your code for V8. From the project's preferences, go to Targeted Runimes and choose the WebSphere Application Server v8.0 stub. If it is not available as a choice, that feature was not installed but can be added using the Installation Manager. Then you can see what compile issues you have and get a feel for any changes needed in the application.

You can deploy just a .war file to WebSphere or you can also create a Ear project in RAD and include your war in the ear.

Cindy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-03T01:32:18Z  in response to RajivKonkimalla
    We did some testing on this, which includes migrating a JEE6 application from netbean + glassfish to WAS V8, and wrote a test experience report on it.

The JEE6 application is called petcatalog, using JSF 2.0, JPA 2.0, EJB 3.1.

The test report review is nearly to done, and to be published on WebSphere Application Server System Test developerWorks wiki soon:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/WebSphere%20Application%20Server%20Test%20Team
    • RajivKonkimalla
      RajivKonkimalla
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-23T18:10:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for all your input. I have successfully deployed my application in WAS 8.0 and everything works fine. I have done the following steps:

1) I sticked onto Netbeans and did not port my application to RAD. I have removed unnecessary xml files and at the end kept web.xml, persistenc.xml and sun-web.xml.

2) I have used Jersey implementation for JAX-RS 1.1 and so included those jars in the lib folder.

3) I have used eclipselink vendor for JPA 2.0. For this I needed to change persistence.xml to include the following items:
      <provider>org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider</provider>
      <properties>
      <property name="eclipselink.target-server" value="WebSphere"/>
      <property name="eclipselink.logging.level" value="FINEST"/>
      </properties>

4) I have placed eclipselink jars under lib folder of websphere (Appserver)

5) Default transport protocol for glassfish is 8080 and so instead of changing the code I have configured WAS 8.0 to 8080 (from 9080).
      I did not want to go for RAD as Netbeans is doing my work and more over RAD has a different implementation for JAX-RS 1.1 and calling entities in the application for JPA. As, I don't want to change my code I am sticking onto netbeans. Also, the app can easily be deployed in weblogic.