9 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-07-29T02:11:11Z by Leank
Leank
Leank
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cognos 10 Postgres ODBC issue - Urgent

‏2011-07-26T20:14:18Z |
Hi Guys.
I have Cognos 10 on RedHat 64 bits server installed on Server2.Cognos is UP and working fine.
My problem is to create a datasource on Cognos Connection poiting to Postgres DB installed on server2.

Check the error msg when i Try to create a datasource on Cognos portal

RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in: testDataSourceConnection
UDA-SQL-0569 Unable to load the driver manager library (libodbcinst.so)
UDA-SQL-0571 The operating system returned an error message ( libodbcinst.so: cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory)

I have the Postgres ODBC installed and working fine with unixODBC, I can connect using isql from server1 (where Cognos is installed) to server 2 (where Postgres DB is installed)

The files /etc/odbcinst.ini and /etc/odbc.ini were properly configured

And I also created a link for the file mentioned above , like below

root@srvlinux2 ~# ln -s /usr/lib64/psqlodbc.so /usr/lib64/libodbcinst.so

Could please someone help me or give me some tip?
Updated on 2011-07-29T02:11:11Z at 2011-07-29T02:11:11Z by Leank
  • OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos 10 Postgres ODBC issue - Urgent

‏2011-07-26T22:36:21Z  in response to Leank
    Not sure, but maybe you should post this question on the Cognos 10 forum?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      15496 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-27T01:07:06Z  in response to OpherB
      The configuration information will be much the same for Cognos 8 or Cognos 10. Cognos is complaining that it can't find the required driver libraries. This is usually handled by the environment variables configured for the user session running the Cognos application. It usually requires setting the PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, along with configuring your odbc.ini file. The steps are listed in the Cognos 10 Installation and Configuration Guide under the topic "Set Up Connections to Suppported UNIX or Linux ODBC Data Sources". Note also that the odbc driver must be 32-bit.
      • Leank
        Leank
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-27T23:06:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Phil, thx for your answer.

What do you mean with "odbc driver must be 32-bit" ?
        I have Cognos installed on a RedHat 64 Bits, even this way should I install a 32 bit driver for Postgres?

Another things is that, I could notice that after installing the unixODBC was when I got the libriries like libodbcinst.so.1, and others, but I couldn't get the libodbcinst.so that appears on the error msg.

I don't know why this library is missing, but for i can see this library doesn't come with Cognos, it's something delivered by unixODBC

Below you can see the variables you have mentioned:

*LD_LIBRARY_PATH*=/usr/lib:/usr/lib64:/opt/ibm/cognos/c10_64/bin64:/opt/ibm/cognos/c10_64/cgi-bin
        *PATH*=/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          15496 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-28T00:12:43Z  in response to Leank
          The Cognos Java components can be run as 64-bit but the query engine is still 32-bit. This means that you need the 32-bit database drivers to work with the 32-bit query engine.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the unixODBC package wouldn't include the libodbcinst.so library.
          • Leank
            Leank
            6 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-28T17:28:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Thx Phil.
            I will try to do few more tests, but honestly I don't have much hope for now, I've already did lot of things and didn't work.

It's very strange Cognos be complaing about this missing library, because I've create a simbolyc link for it and even this way it didn't work.
            At this moment, I belive that it doesn't have nothing to do with Postgres Drive, because this library Cognos is complaining it's not part of postgres drive installation.

Let me do more test, anything new I'll post here.
            Thx so far for your help.

Regards
            • Leank
              Leank
              6 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-29T00:33:08Z  in response to Leank
              Hi Phil, I could fix the problem. Now I have a problem on Framework manager that is installed in another server, this one is Windows.
              I had to do the missing things below
              1. Install Postgres ODBC Driver 32 bits (as you suggested)
              2. Exported the variable ODBCINI poiting to the file *c10_local*/bin/.odbc.ini (before I was pointing to +c10_local+/bin64/.odbc.ini)
              3. Fixed the settings within .odbc.ini as below (the Driver before was pointing to lib64 folder, instead of just lib)

postgres_db
              Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
              Servername = srvlinux1
              Database = post_db_teste
              Username = postgres
              Password = admin123
              Port = 5432
              Trace = Yes
              TraceFile = /tmp/trace_psqlodbc.log

==================================
              I could create and test the Datasouce within Cognos Portal, but when I tried to import the tables in Framework Manager, I couldn't.
              When I try to import something I can't even open the datasource into FM
              When I click on it it says the following error: (Check the attached image)

QE-DEF-0323 DSN(ODBC)/ServiceName is invalid.
              UDA-SQL-0031 Not possible to access the database
              UDA-SQLL-0532 The datasource postgres_db2 is not accessible
              MicrosoftODBC Driver Manager The Datasource name was not found

It's very strange to have this error while on Cognos Portal the Datasource test went ok. And it's strange that in the error msg says "Microsoft ODBC Driver Manager"

Any idea?
            • Leank
              Leank
              6 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-29T00:33:27Z  in response to Leank
              Hi Phil, I could fix the problem. Now I have a problem on Framework manager that is installed in another server, this one is Windows.
              I had to do the missing things below
              1. Install Postgres ODBC Driver 32 bits (as you suggested)
              2. Exported the variable ODBCINI poiting to the file *c10_local*/bin/.odbc.ini (before I was pointing to +c10_local+/bin64/.odbc.ini)
              3. Fixed the settings within .odbc.ini as below (the Driver before was pointing to lib64 folder, instead of just lib)

postgres_db2
              Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
              Servername = srvlinux1
              Database = post_db_teste
              Username = postgres
              Password = admin123
              Port = 5432
              Trace = Yes
              TraceFile = /tmp/trace_psqlodbc.log

==================================
              I could create and test the Datasouce within Cognos Portal, but when I tried to import the tables in Framework Manager, I couldn't.
              When I try to import something I can't even open the datasource into FM
              When I click on it it says the following error: (Check the attached image)

QE-DEF-0323 DSN(ODBC)/ServiceName is invalid.
              UDA-SQL-0031 Not possible to access the database
              UDA-SQLL-0532 The datasource postgres_db2 is not accessible
              MicrosoftODBC Driver Manager The Datasource name was not found

It's very strange to have this error while on Cognos Portal the Datasource test went ok. And it's strange that in the error msg says "Microsoft ODBC Driver Manager"

Any idea?
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                15496 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-29T00:40:36Z  in response to Leank
                It's not so strange that you are getting a Microsoft ODBC message. Framework Manager makes its own connection to the database from the system where it is running. The Cognos server only supplies the connection information to the Framework Manager instance and does not process any of the actual queries that Framework Manager submits. To get Framework Manager working you will need to install and configure the 32-bit Postgres ODBC driver on the Windows system and name the connection the same as you have defined it on the Linux server.
                • Leank
                  Leank
                  6 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-29T02:11:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Phil, really thx for you help, PROBLEM SOLVED NOW!!!
                  As you said, i had to install the PostgresODBC on my Framework Manager PC, after that and after set the Datasource there with the same name as I did on Cognos Server, it worked fine.

Thx again for your quick and efficiently answer.