Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-29T16:39:42Z by Levis
newbie-boy
newbie-boy
1 Post

Pinned topic HS22 hangs on "Connecting Boot Devices and Adapters"

‏2011-07-06T08:28:52Z |
I have a HS22 blade and recently I have been encountering this problem.

While booting it hangs on this portion "Connecting Boot Devices and Adpaters......"

Several reboot would finally resolve this.

Currently its working but I am afraid that when I boot this server again I might encounter the same problem.
Updated on 2012-01-12T17:40:41Z at 2012-01-12T17:40:41Z by ivankgb
  • kopper
    kopper
    26 Posts

Re: HS22 hangs on "Connecting Boot Devices and Adapters"

‏2011-11-18T02:08:58Z  
    were you able to fix this issue?

thanks
  • jarce
    jarce
    17 Posts

‏2011-11-18T14:45:26Z  
    does the server have any fiber channel connected to it?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts

‏2011-12-19T06:10:45Z  
    Even iam facing the same issue,once i remove the CMOS battery and put it back it will work ,but again reboot the same problem ,i have update the IMM and UEFI still the same issue, Is there any permanent solution for this,and iam afraid to restart my servers.
  • MichaelHMartel
    MichaelHMartel
    32 Posts

‏2011-12-19T13:10:34Z  
    Even iam facing the same issue,once i remove the CMOS battery and put it back it will work ,but again reboot the same problem ,i have update the IMM and UEFI still the same issue, Is there any permanent solution for this,and iam afraid to restart my servers.
    I just went through this with a number of HS22 blades. I've got an open call with IBM on it right now. Here's what I found in my case.

In my HS22's I found that removing the QLogic Fibre Channel card did NOT help. But removing the hard drives did. Huh ?

If I upgraded the UEFI bios to 1.15 on these HS22's they would hang at the "Connecting Boot Devices and Adapters .... "
    If I left the UEFI at 1.14 they would boot just fine.

In working with IBM, we replaced the Planar System boards, the logic cards, set all sorts of bios settings etc, with no luck. The only thing we found is that there is some issue with UEFI 1.15 and something in the blades. my call has been escalated internally and they are working on it.

I do know that that Fibre Channel card can cause issues. They had me set the first boot device to be "Legacy Only" to work around that.

Maybe this will help!

Michael
  • Justinfo
    Justinfo
    1 Post

‏2012-01-10T17:17:05Z  
    HS22 with same issue. 7870. Bios was 1.09. Still had issue even after replacing motherboard, pci card. Same ram, hdds, processors. Restarted management module. Replaced keyboard. And now can get past original "Connecting Boot Dev and Adapters..." issue. Now running bios 1.16. No issue with it yet, but again can now boot to F12 screen option.
  • ivankgb
    ivankgb
    1 Post

‏2012-01-12T17:40:41Z  
    After troubleshooting this issue with IBM and declining their suggestion to replace the system boards in the affect blades. We stumbled upon a very interesting fix/workaround for this particular issue. And yes, we did even try downgrading the UEFI from 1.16 to 1.12 and the IMM from 1.31 to 1.25 to no avail.
    The fix...

When in the Blade Center Remote Console window, set Media Tray to "None" instead of the actual blade bay.

This seems to have fixed it for us. We're going to talk to IBM a bit more about it to see if it's possibly a deffective Media Tray in the Blade Center, but for now at least we have a workaround.

Let us know if this works for any of you as well.

Ivan
  • Levis
    Levis
    1 Post

‏2013-07-29T16:39:42Z  
    • ivankgb
    • ‏2012-01-12T17:40:41Z
    After troubleshooting this issue with IBM and declining their suggestion to replace the system boards in the affect blades. We stumbled upon a very interesting fix/workaround for this particular issue. And yes, we did even try downgrading the UEFI from 1.16 to 1.12 and the IMM from 1.31 to 1.25 to no avail.
    The fix...

When in the Blade Center Remote Console window, set Media Tray to "None" instead of the actual blade bay.

This seems to have fixed it for us. We're going to talk to IBM a bit more about it to see if it's possibly a deffective Media Tray in the Blade Center, but for now at least we have a workaround.

Let us know if this works for any of you as well.

Ivan

It works for me! Thank you!