10 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-07-02T14:59:03Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CICS won't start because of ERZ056014E

‏2011-06-28T03:14:44Z |
Hello,

Am Windows XP, TXS 7.1.0.2 and run standalone in the world with a most serious and urgent problem.
My CICS will not start, dead in the water.

.. each day when I start my computer, a startup job is run being ..

c:\"Program Files"\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN\db2start
cicscp -v start region REGION1 StartType=cold

.. has worked fine for a year, now but I suddenly got the following ..

SQL1063N DB2START processing was successful.
ERZ096122I/0264: Processing a 'start region' command
ERZ096158I/0264: The region 'REGION1' is starting
ERZ096111I/0224: Processing a start sfs_server command
ERZ096141I/0224: Starting SFS server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM'
ERZ038214I/0168: Authorization for server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' has been set to 'none'
ERZ105102I/0029: Restart files located for server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM'
ERZ105107I/0034: Archives directory located for server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM'
ERZ038216I/0175: Subsystem 'cicssfs.SGRAHAM' has been initialized.
ERZ038217I/0176: Waiting for subsystem 'cicssfs.SGRAHAM' to become active.
ERZ038219I/0179: Server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' is responding to RPCs.
ERZ038228I/0189: Server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' has been enabled.
ERZ038182I/0182: Server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' started successfully.
ERZ096113I/0231: SFS server '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' successfully started
ERZ056014E/0025: A CICS internal buffer has overflowed
ERZ096004E/0006: An error was encountered during the processing of the cicscp co
mmand

.. I ran a cics status as follows ..

C:\ghexe>cicscp -v status all
GRAHAM sfs Running
REGION1 region Stopped
mig#temp region Stopped
ERZ096002I/0003: cicscp command completed successfully

.. in particular REGION1 is stopped and the ERZ056014E msg tells me ..

ERZ056014E A CICS internal buffer has overflowed

Explanation: An internal buffer used to expand strings
has overflowed.
System action: Processing continues; however, other
messages can be generated as a result of this error.
User response: As this problem indicates a problem
within CICS it is extremely important that you save all
diagnostic information and contact your support
organization.
Destination: CSMT, stderr

.. but I am the 'Support Organization', know not where to begin, have looked at console logs and symrecs, googled the ERZ, none giving any clues.

I see my options as:

a) uninstall/re-install TXS (is last resort with no assurance it won't happen again)
b) resolve the problem, hence this post
c) if a REGION1 related problem, possible to just create another region

Can somebody please, ASAP, point me to a starting point to find out what's wrong, what is the 'diagnostic info' I might look at, is there a correct procedure, what did I do to cause it.

Help really really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Graham Hobbs
Updated on 2011-07-02T14:59:03Z at 2011-07-02T14:59:03Z by graham40
  • lakshuraghav
    lakshuraghav
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS won't start because of ERZ056014E

‏2011-06-28T03:51:14Z  in response to graham40
    Hi,

Did you add or modify any entry recently in the region with a long name? This can be usually seen when a resource name is large (for example very large sfs file name defined to cics or large TDQ names etc). If you could not identify, probably you can take a cics trace and contact the IBM support for their help.

Thanks
    Raghu
    • graham40
      graham40
      127 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-28T15:44:46Z  in response to lakshuraghav
      Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

When this problem occurred I had just started serious work with cicssdt, usual complement of mistakes, never saw any long name problems, SFS Server is still running today and I don't use TDQueues. If it was as simple as a 'long name' problem, I would have thought IBM would have fixed it long ago (I am at V7.1.0.2).

As I said, I am the 'CICS guy' in my one person home environment so I have no-one to contact. My low level of Partnerworld membership entitles me to little thus I rely on this forum. Thought I might get a response from one of the IBM chaps? I mean ERZ056014E is very exact, somebody invented it, somebody knows the cause, so there's an answer somewhere - reasonable?

.. and my TXSeries CICS remains dead, that's not acceptable .. it TOTALLY kills my project, never to get to z/OS, or anywhere else, very difficult to write CICS apps without CICS.

Hoping for an answer still ..
      Graham
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        308 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-30T13:28:31Z  in response to graham40
        Hi Graham,

Unfortunately the error ERZ056014E is too generic for any interpretation. I can take a quick look if you can provide me the CICS trace and the RD.stanza file. For generating a CICS Trace you can run the below commands:

cd C:\var\cics_regions\REGION1\
        set CICSTRACE=1
        cicscp -v start region REGION1 StartType=cold

Once you get the error, you will see a file created in the name of "cicscp.p<some number>.cicstrc" under the same directory. You then need to format this file using this command:

cicstfmt <cicscp.p<some number>.cicstrc>

And you will get a new file created in the same directory with the suffix .fmt (cicscp.p<some number>.cicstrc.fmt) which you can attach in this forum along with the file C:\var\cics_regions\REGION1\database\RD.stanza.

Cheers,
        Hari
        • graham40
          graham40
          127 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-30T19:29:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hello Hari,

Hope you're well and help much appreciated - thanks. Had no idea it was so generic, details are in the attachment (even an Index:-)!) - all I can think of.

• sadly your instructions didn't produce "cicscp.p<some number>.cicstrc"
          • my last successful use of CICS was June 26th

• word of explanation:
          • I operate two laptops specifically because of glitches that I can't resolve (like this one)
          • a Main machine (MM) and backup machine (BM)
          • six weeks ago when my MM TXS was working well, MM was mirror imaged to BM

• today, as my MM TXS is dead, the BM TXS still works (BM is slower, smaller so I can't resort to it),
          • so, since I only use TXS for development and datawise will lose very little,
          • is it possible to restore c:\opt and/or c:\var from BM to MM?

cheers,
          Graham
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            308 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T02:20:11Z  in response to graham40
            Hello Graham,

I am doing good, Thank you. Also, Thanks for sending the details in the detailed form :-). I did notice a typo while enabling the CICS Trace in your index file, which could be the reason as to why you weren't able to see the trace files generated. The following is what is mentioned in your index file:

+C:\var\cics_regions\REGION1>set CICSTRACK=1
            +
            +C:\var\cics_regions\REGION1>set cicstrack
            +
            +CICSTRACK=1
            +

The name of the environment variable should be CICSTRACE and not CICSTRACK. So hopefully you can change this and see if you can follow my instructions provided earlier. At this point I don't think it will be of much help to replace/restore the MM configuration with the BM (even if it works! as a user I would really want to know what had gone wrong which will be difficult to figure out after the restoration and comes back to normalcy!). I really want to understand the cause of this error and hoping the trace data will help us.

Will spend some more time looking at other data in your index and if I find any clues will post it in this forum. Otherwise I need to wait for the trace data to analyse it further.

Hoping to get your system up and running soon.

Cheers,
            Hari
            • graham40
              graham40
              127 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T14:51:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hari,
              I'm so stupid, very sorry about that. Trac(E!!!) file is attached.
              I agree absolutely about finding the cause so will not attempt restoring from my BM - would be last resort.
              Graham
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                308 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T16:49:31Z  in response to graham40
                Hi Graham,

The trace file did give some clue on the problem. It looks like there is an entry in the FD stanza that has a FileServer mapped to a value "/.:/CICS/SFS/GRAHAM". The FileServer attribute should always begin with "/.:/cics/sfs/" (Note that the value/string is case-sensitive!). So in your case TXSeries is taking the FileServer as "/.:/cics/sfs//.:/CICS/SFS/GRAHAM" which gets too long a string to be stored in its buffer which is probably why you are getting an internal buffer overflow error.

Can you replace the entries "/.:/CICS/SFS/" with "/.:/cics/sfs/" in the FD.stanza file located under C:\var\cics_regions\REGION1\database\FD\ directory. The FileServer attribute should have the value as "/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM" or "/.:/cics/sfs/%H". You can use a editor to change this file manually (the recommended practice is to use the cicsupdate command though!). Once changed you can start the region (cicscp -v start region REGION1 StartType=cold) and see if the problem gets resolved.

If you still see the problem please attach the trace file and the FD.stanza file.

HTH

Cheers,
                Hari
                • graham40
                  graham40
                  127 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T18:02:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hari,

Bingo! Am back up and running. Didn't use cicsupdate since no CICS sytem:-) .. editing worked. Because I use a COBOL program to en masse generate CICS add/del command files my code was:

IF C9-SFSSERVERNAME = SPACES
                  MOVE '/.:/cics/sfs/GRAHAM' TO C9-SFSSERVERNAME
                  but I must have set a feature of my line editor feature to CAPS ON and in spacing over that code produced:

IF C9-SFSSERVERNAME = SPACES
                  MOVE '/.:/CICS/SFS/GRAHAM' TO C9-SFSSERVERNAME
                  ==> ERZ056014E .. my fault! Have switched to CAPS OFF mode permanently.

Hari, can't thank you enough! Don't go anywhere eh!!!
                  Graham
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    308 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T19:19:15Z  in response to graham40
                    Graham,

Glad to hear that it works and to have been of help. Hope your project is going well.

And you have a great weekend.

Cheers,
                    Hari
                    • graham40
                      graham40
                      127 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-02T14:59:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hari,
                      Project is going very well, intend to try it on the Web before z/OS'ing it, but am in Quebec bush country, dialup internet until October, then if you're interested you can try it.
                      Graham