Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-18T10:28:00Z by willey
Johnny99
Johnny99
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Backup schedule

‏2011-06-27T08:56:10Z |
Hi all, Sorry I´ve never worked with System i, but now, I have to work with for a few month, until the system will be migrated.

I only need to check daily backups and i can´t find the job making backups. I checked last backup date for some custom libraries, they´re OK, backup is running on daily basics at 9:00 PM, but I am not sure if all objects are included or even all objects are backed up.

How can i find backup "job" (if that´s the name for)? Is there some log out there?

Thanks a lot.
Updated on 2012-07-18T10:28:00Z at 2012-07-18T10:28:00Z by willey
  • QSECOFR
    QSECOFR
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Backup schedule

‏2011-06-27T14:43:38Z  in response to Johnny99
    Hi Johnny99,

There are several different ways that backups can be submitted, so there are more than one spots to check depending on what "application" is being used.

The most common way to submit is through Job Scheduler (WRKJOBSCDE) or through 3rd party Robot (RBO). Search for the jobs at 21:00 and check the details which should tell you the command to be submitted and/or the job name/user. From here you can determine what type of job such as native OS, OA Backup, BRMS, Robot, etc...

The following are common of the different type of backups:
    BRMS - STRBKUBRM or anything ending in xxxxxxbrm. Control groups accessed through WRKCTLGBRM
    OA Backup - Backup jobs usually start with QEZBK*. Menu is accessed through GO BACKUP.
    Native OS or CL - Commands will generally be SAVxxx or will be CALL PGM(xxxxx)

To look for the specific job, you could search the history log for a message about the backup job starting or objects being saved. Then, put your cursor on that message and press F1 and then F9 which will give you the job, user, and number. Write these down or copy them and then issue the WRKJOB JOB(number/user/name) and then select option 4 to work with the spooled files and then 5 to display QPJOBLOG.

Note: IBM Knowledgebase document 387819982 has some good message id's that you can put in the DSPLOG command if you F10 and page down to enter them.

• Find the job/application and it will be easier to know what to look for in the set up.
    • Johnny99
      Johnny99
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-30T13:22:48Z  in response to QSECOFR
      Thanks a lot, I found the job with "wrkjobscde", here it is:

INZTAP DEV(TAP01) NEWVOL( A_NAME ) NEWOWNID( A_NAME ) +
      CHECK(*NO) DENSITY(*QIC4GB)
      SAVLIB LIB( LIB_NAME1 LIB_NAME2 ) DEV(TAP01)

I found some messages too, we need to clean the tape drive (OK, I on charge of this ;-) at the end 2 libraries copied with no errors , so it´s fine I think, but:

1. This is the only backup job, so we are only backing up custom data and custom program ( LIB_NAME1 and LIB_NAME2 ) but we don´t have a complete backup. I think it´s higly recommended, is it?
      2. I can´t find the spooled file of the job, on the job (wrkjobscde) option 8 ("see spooled file of last job submitted" or something like that, sorry my host is in spanish) doesn´t work, "no file xx/xx/xx found" ???
      • QSECOFR
        QSECOFR
        55 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-08T15:11:10Z  in response to Johnny99
        1. For backups, you should back up as much as you can as often as you can. If you have the backup window and tapes to perform a full system save every single night, then do it. Assume for instance that your system crashes at 10am on a Wednesday morning; Do you have all the data you need to recover? How easy or complex will it be to recover? A general backup strategy is to get at least your critical user data daily and a full system save weekly...or the rest of the user data weekly, and a full system save monthly.

2. If the job completes normally, the system doesn't keep the joblog unless the logging level is set high enough (maximum is 4 00 *SECLVL with LOGCLPGM as *YES). Logging level is defined in the job description unless it is specified such as in a SBMJOB or CHGJOB command.

• Brian
  • willey
    willey
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-18T10:28:00Z  in response to Johnny99
    for the backup process you can shedule as much as you can but the queue should be maintained correctly.