• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-02-24T21:38:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
100 Posts

Pinned topic Best Practice Advice - Development Vs Production

‏2010-11-02T07:50:09Z |
Hi
 Can anyone share their techniques for keeping their production orchestrations in line with development. I.e after making and testing changes in dev whats the best method of transferring the changed orchestrations to live - can you just copy the orchestrations folder at the file system whilst leaving the the production end points in tact?.

Thanks
Chris.
Updated on 2011-02-24T21:38:41Z at 2011-02-24T21:38:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    100 Posts

My Practices

‏2011-02-24T21:38:41Z  
    Chris,
    I work in a structured department with a rigid QA process, so this flow may not work for your team. We have 3 separate machines, but you could follow this model on a single machine with structured naming conventions.
    I dev on my local machine, do basic validations where possible. All inline sql scripts are written in the database and validated prior to inserting in a Execute Query. I use SQL Functions and Stored Procedures were possible to remove code from the Cast Iron project. I use Web Service endpoints where possible so that I can test granually with SoapUI (free) projects.

I deploy to my dev CI Host with .par files. Any values that I cannot get out of the database, come from project configuration properties. I have 1 project with approx 40 config properties. ( 3 database conx and 2 web services + error handling)
    Once I have completed "Integration" testing I package any SQL scripts, the .par files, and a Config speadsheet into a zip and send it to QA. QA uploads the projects via the WMC and sets all the appropriate config values. QA validates. The production team then mimics QA, by uploading the same .par used for Dev and QA to our Prod host.
    Note: I only increment project versions when I add an endpoint, add config values, or drastically overhaul a orchestration. This removes the need to re-key all the config values.
    Note: I use TFS for source control, which has it's own gotchas when working with a disconnected coding platform. I only do a check in once I am ready to deploy, as this maintains "shippable" check points. If you need to you can download a project from the Host and everything required to edit is in the downloaded project. (i.e. Hotfixes)
    HTH,
    David