Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-01-29T18:34:05Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
224 Posts

Pinned topic troubleshooting stylesheets

‏2010-01-29T13:58:49Z |
I've had several instances where the application of a stylesheet in an orchestration generates the following error:  "Failed to transform XML, error was: javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: Failed to compile stylesheet. 1 error detected".  However, there is never any error detail provided.  Are there logs on the appliance that would give me more information on what's causing the error in the stylesheet? 
In the particular case I'm seeing right now, the stylesheet is working ok in the external tool I use to test stylesheets (EditiX 2009); so it'd be nice if I could get information from the appliance that would provide a further clue to what it didn't like about the stylesheet.
Thanks.
-Mark
Updated on 2010-01-29T18:34:05Z at 2010-01-29T18:34:05Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    224 Posts

Re: troubleshooting stylesheets

‏2010-01-29T14:26:10Z  
    Here's one way I troubleshot it.  In Studio, on the  Apply XSLT activity where I'm using this stylesheet, I used the "Test" button to apply the stylesheet to sample xml.  I still got the generic error listed above.  However, out in the directory where Studio is installed, I looked at the error0.log file, and it contained the complete exception that generated the error; from which I was able to figure out what caused the error.
    Thanks,
    -Mark
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    224 Posts

So what was the problem?

‏2010-01-29T18:34:05Z  
    I use OxygenXML for development of custom stylesheets, with the XSLT parser set to Saxon 9B (Saxon being the underlying XSLT processor in the Cast Iron runtime). I have never had a situation where a stylesheet developed and compiled in Oxygen does not work in the runtime (unless the actual instance document is in the wrong namespace), and if there are errors in the stylesheet, it never fails to pick it up and warn me.
    Can you give us some insight as to what your error was so that we can possibly provide you some guidance for your future development work using custom XSLT with Cast Iron?
    Regards, 
    Alan
    Director of Solutions Engineering and Cast Iron guru.