Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-23T20:21:24Z by newtoIC
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1250 Posts

Pinned topic Studio on Linux

‏2010-04-07T17:16:00Z |

While I understand it's not supported, has anyone had any success running Studio on Linux?

I believe (and I could be wrong) the right approach is to install Studio on Windows, copy the installed directory from Program Files over to your Linux box, and run the org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jar file like:

java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jar

Unfortunately - for me at least - it throws a bunch of exceptions about not being able to find class files. I'm not too familiar with Java, so I don't know how to proceed.

Anyone tried to go down this route?
Updated on 2012-05-23T20:21:24Z at 2012-05-23T20:21:24Z by newtoIC
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Re: Studio on Linux

‏2010-04-12T19:49:03Z  

With the understanding that we do NOT support Studio(that's mean if you have an issue before contacting support please reproduce it on windows first) on Linux(or Mac) here is a shell script that will help you start studio on these platforms. Obviously, the path may need to be adjusted according to the path where the shell script gets invoked(As was pointed in the post you will need to copy the installed studio from windows to  linux machine and drop the script - run_studio.sh to that location). There is only env variable that needs to be set prior to invoking the script and that's is JAVA_HOME. This should point to where java is installed on your system:

#!/bin/sh
    export LIB_HOME=lib
    export DIST_HOME=.
    LIB_PATH=""
    LIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:etc/icons
    LIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:etc/resources
    for f in `find lib -type f \( -iname "*.jar" ! -iname " eclipse" \)`
    do
    LIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:$f
    done
    export OSGI_FRAMEWORK_JAR=org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jar
    export SET MAIN_CLASS=org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
    export SET SPLASH_SCREEN=studiosplash.png
    export IH_LOGGING_PROPS="etc/resources/logging.properties"
    export ENDORSED="-Djava.endorsed.dirs=endorsed-lib"
    export KEYSTORE="-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=etc/security/certs"
    export TRUSTSTORE="-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=etc/security/cacerts"
    export LOGIN_CTX="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=etc/security/httpkerb.conf"
    export JAAS_CONFIG="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=etc/security/ci_jaas.config"
    export JVM_DIRECTIVES="-Dapplication.mode.studio=true -Djava.util.logging.config.file=$IH_LOGGING_PROPS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djgoodies.fontSizeHints=SMALL"
    #cd $DIST_HOME
    #Please set the JAVA_HOME env variable to the correct path
    #
    export JAVA_HOME=
    "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" -client $ENDORSED $KEYSTORE $TRUSTSTORE $LOGIN_CTX $JAAS_CONFIG $YP_AGENT $PROFILINGAGENT $JVM_DIRECTIVES -Dcom.approuter.maestro.opera.sessionFactory=com.approuter.maestro.opera.ram.RamSessionFactory -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djgoodies.fontSizeHints=SMALL -Xmx512M -Xms256M -splash:$SPLASH_SCREEN -Xbootclasspath/a:$LIB_PATH -jar $OSGI_FRAMEWORK_JAR

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

didn't work for me, with

‏2010-05-12T16:04:38Z  
    didn't work for me, with Studio 4.0.1.3 on Red Hat, and Java 1.6.0_18-b07
    does this work for anyone and if so what version?
    would be grateful for any further unsupported support, Having to boot up windows solely to run a java app is a bit ironic.

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Re: didn't work for me, with

‏2010-05-12T16:27:58Z  

please remove the following -splash:$SPLASH_SCREEN from the startup command line. Also, let us know what's the error that you're getting. Regards,--vpatrascu  
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

thanks, I also removed the

‏2010-05-12T17:06:06Z  
    thanks, I also removed the etc/ everywhere from the script
    I get a whole stream of errors, the beginning of which is below.the splash screen still appears but then nothing.
    Binding to port: 1555
    May 12 16:52:00 com.approuter.util.ClassUtils getObjectDirectory
    Thread-10 WARNING http://com.approuter.util.ClassUtils: could not find the object: com.approuter.assets.AssetPluginFactoryManager in any directory!
    May 12 16:52:00 com.approuter.extensionmanager.ExtensionRegistry loadRelativeExtensions
    Thread-10 WARNING http://com.approuter.extensionmanager.ExtensionRegistry: Extension Registry Could not locate the Directory where the extensions may be located!
    Activating Studio
    Cast Iron Studio
    Copyright (c) Cast Iron Systems Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
    Using extensions configuration file: anubis-ext.xml
    12-May-2010 17:52:01 com.approuter.extensionmanager.ExtensionRegistry loadNamedExtension
    SEVERE: Could not load extension: com.approuter.framework.gui.Browser
    java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at java.util.HashMap.isEmpty(HashMap.java:277)
    at java.awt.Toolkit.getDesktopProperty(Toolkit.java:1731)
    at com.approuter.framework.plaf.CILookAndFeel$1.createValue(CILookAndFeel.java:181)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getFromHashtable(UIDefaults.java:214)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.get(UIDefaults.java:144)
    at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.get(MultiUIDefaults.java:47)
    at javax.swing.UIManager.get(UIManager.java:929)
    at com.approuter.framework.plaf.CILookAndFeel$1.createValue(CILookAndFeel.java:187)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getFromHashtable(UIDefaults.java:214)
    at javax.swing.UIDefaults.get(UIDefaults.java:144)
    at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.get(MultiUIDefaults.java:47)
    at javax.swing.UIManager.get(UIManager.java:929)

and the rest are mainly java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Please add the following

‏2010-05-12T18:37:19Z  

Please add the following options to the startup command:-XX:MaxPermSize=128M This should be before or next to -Xmx option.Also, "etc/" should have been replaced with "./"Regards, --vpatrascu 
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

thanks again but it is still

‏2010-05-13T09:42:14Z  

thanks again but it is still the same error

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

You'll will need to upgrade

‏2010-05-13T17:31:10Z  

You'll will need to upgrade studio to 4.5.1.3 if you want to work on linux. Also, I'm pasting the modified script that I've use to run the studio on linux from the installed version:#!/bin/shexport LIB_HOME=libLIB_PATH=""LIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:iconsLIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:resourcesfor f in `find lib -type f \( -iname "*.jar" ! -iname "eclipse" \)`doLIB_PATH=$LIB_PATH:$f done#export DEBUG="-Djava.compiler=NONE -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=50050"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:./lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATHexport OSGI_FRAMEWORK_JAR=org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jarexport SET MAIN_CLASS=org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarterexport SET SPLASH_SCREEN=studiosplash.pngexport IH_LOGGING_PROPS="resources/logging.properties"export ENDORSED="-Djava.endorsed.dirs=endorsed-lib"export KEYSTORE="-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=security/certs"export TRUSTSTORE="-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=security/cacerts"export LOGIN_CTX="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=security/httpkerb.conf"export JAAS_CONFIG="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=security/ci_jaas.config"export JVM_DIRECTIVES="-Dapplication.mode.studio=true -Djava.util.logging.config.file=$IH_LOGGING_PROPS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djgoodies.fontSizeHints=SMALL -Djrex.enabled=true"export DUMP_HEAP=-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" -client $DUMP_HEAP $XPROF $DEBUG $ENDORSED $KEYSTORE $TRUSTSTORE $LOGIN_CTX $JAAS_CONFIG $YP_AGENT $PROFILINGAGENT $JVM_DIRECTIVES -Dcom.approuter.maestro.opera.sessionFactory=com.approuter.maestro.opera.ram.RamSessionFactory -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Djgoodies.fontSizeHints=SMALL -Djrex.enabled=true -Xmx512M -Xms256M -Xbootclasspath/a:$LIB_PATH -jar $OSGI_FRAMEWORK_JAR
  • newtoIC
    newtoIC
    3 Posts

Re: Studio on Linux

‏2012-05-23T20:21:24Z  
    has anyone tried this on osx? or is anyone keeping this up to date with the newer versions of studio? I'm trying get this working in osx or in linux with studio 6.1 any help would be awesome. thanks.