Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-06-24T07:47:40Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2750 Posts

Pinned topic unable to deploy new Dell systems with 7.1.1.5 (build 130.05)

‏2011-06-17T08:11:46Z |
Hi,

We installed the latest TPMOS version v7.1.1.5 and want to deploy new Dell systems (Latitude E6320). The problem is as shown in the attached file.
It starts first fine buts get stuck as shown.

Strange thing i noticed is, that i'm positive we have v7.1.1.5 but in the attached text file its stated v7.1.1.4??

When i take an older laptop it deploys just fine, could it be related to the NIC drivers?

Any idea?

I will test further and update here but i would appreciate the input :)

regards,

Ron
Updated on 2011-06-24T07:47:40Z at 2011-06-24T07:47:40Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

Re: unable to deploy new Dell systems with 7.1.1.5 (build 130.05)

‏2011-06-17T08:41:35Z  
    Hi,

Here the first update,

I have taken an also brand new Dell laptop, a Latitude E5520 and this one deploys ok.

The systems mentioned what goes wrong have a Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 NIC

The systems mentioned what deploys ok have a Broadcom 57XX Gigabit NIC
  • Michele.T
    Michele.T
    119 Posts

‏2011-06-17T08:53:59Z  
    Hi,

Here the first update,

I have taken an also brand new Dell laptop, a Latitude E5520 and this one deploys ok.

The systems mentioned what goes wrong have a Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 NIC

The systems mentioned what deploys ok have a Broadcom 57XX Gigabit NIC
    Hi,
    it sounds that WinPe 3 does not have the NIC drivers for Intel NIC card.
    You can check in TPMfOSD web ui -> advanced features -> deployment engines -> select the 32 bit engine -> in network and mass storage drivers -> click "edit engine's driver binding" -> expand the column corresponding to target with Intel NIC and check if there is a flag with builtin drivers row.
    If there is not, you have to inject driver into WinPe3. In case of desktop/laptop machines, winpe3 drivers are the ones for Windows 7 32 bit.

Regards

Michele Tomassi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T07:49:30Z  
    • Michele.T
    • ‏2011-06-17T08:53:59Z
    Hi,
    it sounds that WinPe 3 does not have the NIC drivers for Intel NIC card.
    You can check in TPMfOSD web ui -> advanced features -> deployment engines -> select the 32 bit engine -> in network and mass storage drivers -> click "edit engine's driver binding" -> expand the column corresponding to target with Intel NIC and check if there is a flag with builtin drivers row.
    If there is not, you have to inject driver into WinPe3. In case of desktop/laptop machines, winpe3 drivers are the ones for Windows 7 32 bit.

Regards

Michele Tomassi
    Thanks for your answer,

This matrix is new for me, just upgraded to 7.1.1
    How can i inject the drivers? I have already made a drivers software package. In the old version i just deployed them with the image.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T08:59:44Z  
    Thanks for your answer,

This matrix is new for me, just upgraded to 7.1.1
    How can i inject the drivers? I have already made a drivers software package. In the old version i just deployed them with the image.
    I think i have bound the correct driver but still have the same issue. Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Please see attachment, i think this is corerct and i'm sure i use the correct driver.

thanks,

Ron
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T12:36:39Z  
    I think i have bound the correct driver but still have the same issue. Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Please see attachment, i think this is corerct and i'm sure i use the correct driver.

thanks,

Ron
    I think that this may be the incorrect driver for that system.

First thing to do is to verify the vendor and device id for your NIC
    1. Go to Target Monitor
    2. Click on the Inventory tab
    3. Expand the PCI devices
    4. Click on the Ethernet Controller and note the VendorID and DeviceID. Since it is intel the VendorID will be 8086, not 100% sure on the DeviceID.
    5. look for the device id in the inf files that are with your driver. The quickest way I find to do it is to use the following command from the parent directory of the driver: findstr /s /i "dev_<DeviceID>" *.inf

Now if it does not find it, then you have the wrong driver. Also remember to check that the driver is for the correct OS ;)

The best way I can think to explain this is that in the deployment engine when you clicked the checkbox to include that driver, OSD now knows to include that driver with the WinPE3 engine when it starts up. So this adds to the drivers that are already available in the "Engine's builtin drivers". So when the WinPE3 is starting and detects all the PCI devices, it will then look in the driver repository to find the correct driver by matching the vendorid and deviceid. If there are no matches you get the error you are seeing. So really the failure is that the driver is not available in the WinPE rather than OSD as OSD now relies on WinPE3 to do the deployments.

Hope that helps.

Martin Carnegie
    Gulf Breeze Software Partners
    http://www.gulfsoft.com
  • Michele.T
    Michele.T
    119 Posts

‏2011-06-20T14:21:07Z  

1. Go to Target Monitor
    4. Click on the Ethernet Controller and note the VendorID and DeviceID. Since it is intel the VendorID will be 8086, not 100% sure on the DeviceID.
    5. look for the device id in the inf files that are with your driver. The quickest way I find to do it is to use the following command from the parent directory of the driver: findstr /s /i "dev_<DeviceID>" *.inf

Now if it does not find it, then you have the wrong driver. Also remember to check that the driver is for the correct OS ;)

The best way I can think to explain this is that in the deployment engine when you clicked the checkbox to include that driver, OSD now knows to include that driver with the WinPE3 engine when it starts up. So this adds to the drivers that are already available in the "Engine's builtin drivers". So when the WinPE3 is starting and detects all the PCI devices, it will then look in the driver repository to find the correct driver by matching the vendorid and deviceid. If there are no matches you get the error you are seeing. So really the failure is that the driver is not available in the WinPE rather than OSD as OSD now relies on WinPE3 to do the deployments.

Hope that helps.

Martin Carnegie
    Hi Ron,
    from the picture you pasted, the checkmarks on the grid have been put on a wrong driver. TPMfOSD highlights the cells in the grid where there is a match between sw module of type driver and devices, with a green background. Darker is green, stronger is the match. I don't see green background in the cells you chosen.
    You have to download from laptop vendor the driver for Windows 7 32 bit (if a specific driver for Windows PE has not been built) and then dynamic inject it.

Regards

Michele Tomassi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T14:27:36Z  
    • Michele.T
    • ‏2011-06-20T14:21:07Z
    Hi Ron,
    from the picture you pasted, the checkmarks on the grid have been put on a wrong driver. TPMfOSD highlights the cells in the grid where there is a match between sw module of type driver and devices, with a green background. Darker is green, stronger is the match. I don't see green background in the cells you chosen.
    You have to download from laptop vendor the driver for Windows 7 32 bit (if a specific driver for Windows PE has not been built) and then dynamic inject it.

Regards

Michele Tomassi
    Thank you all for the usefull reply's.

The image i want to deploy is a unattended XP image. So i asume i need the XP drivers. So i need to download the win7 first?
    i will try that.

I did see a PE driver downloadable from Dell for this specific system, i'll try this one also.

thanks,

Ron
  • Michele.T
    Michele.T
    119 Posts

‏2011-06-20T14:37:22Z  
    Thank you all for the usefull reply's.

The image i want to deploy is a unattended XP image. So i asume i need the XP drivers. So i need to download the win7 first?
    i will try that.

I did see a PE driver downloadable from Dell for this specific system, i'll try this one also.

thanks,

Ron
    Hi Ron,
    when you deploy a Windows OS, you may have 2 cases of drivers issues:
    • driver issues in WinPe (your case). They are mass storage and network drivers not included in built-in deployment engine package. Driver to be injected into WinPe are the ones for Windows 7 32/64 bit, unless a specific Winpe driver has been published by the hardware vendor
    • driver issue with profile. Usually the blocking issue is the missing mass storage driver that brings to 7B blue screen. If you are deploying Windows XP, you must bind the mass storage driver for Windows XP.

I hope this helps

Regards

Michele Tomassi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T14:43:25Z  

1. Go to Target Monitor

Hope that helps.

Martin Carnegie
    Hi Martin,

I see following,

VendorID8086
    SubVendorID8086
    DeviceID0082

After i put in this: D:\>findstr /s /i "dev_0082" E1c5132.inf and hitting return nothing happens, no error message appears.

regards,

Ron
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-20T14:52:36Z  
    Hi Martin,

I see following,

VendorID8086
    SubVendorID8086
    DeviceID0082

After i put in this: D:\>findstr /s /i "dev_0082" E1c5132.inf and hitting return nothing happens, no error message appears.

regards,

Ron
    Hi Ron,

There will be no error, that just means that the driver you are looking for is not in that inf file. I was kind of wondering as in the deployment engine where you did the check box, it would typically show a green box to indicate that it matches (but does not check by default as it wants you to have control).

I would go back to Dell's site and download the driver and extract it, then run the findstr again. This time just use *.inf instead of the specific inf file.

Martin Carnegie
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-21T09:59:56Z  
    Hi Ron,

There will be no error, that just means that the driver you are looking for is not in that inf file. I was kind of wondering as in the deployment engine where you did the check box, it would typically show a green box to indicate that it matches (but does not check by default as it wants you to have control).

I would go back to Dell's site and download the driver and extract it, then run the findstr again. This time just use *.inf instead of the specific inf file.

Martin Carnegie
    Ok, Finally i got it to work,

Downloaded the drivers directly from the Intel site. However there are things puzzling me.

See attachment again, the system still tells me that there are no drivers. Notice the green marks without the green background. When i remove those bindings the deployment stalls as before. When checked the deployment works.

I'm puzzled by this.

regards,

Ron
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-21T12:42:55Z  
    Ok, Finally i got it to work,

Downloaded the drivers directly from the Intel site. However there are things puzzling me.

See attachment again, the system still tells me that there are no drivers. Notice the green marks without the green background. When i remove those bindings the deployment stalls as before. When checked the deployment works.

I'm puzzled by this.

regards,

Ron
    This still does not look right. The place you have the checks should also have the square filled in with the green background like the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE". Also you do not need to check the wireless card as this cannot be used for deploying an OS anyway.

I think the driver you need is: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&deviceid=11814&libid=5&releaseid=R291627&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LAT_E6320&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&catid=5&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

That driver contains the Win7 x32 drivers which is what you need for deploying either 32 or 64 bit clone images to targets or 32 bit unattended installs. These are the ones you create as software modules then bind to the 32 bit deployment engine. If you are doing unattended installs of a 64 bit OS, then you would have to create software modules for the 64 bit Windows 7 drivers and then bind them to the 64 bit deployment engine.

When you import the driver, I would see if you could just create a module per OS or at least clean out the OSs you do no need.

BTW, earlier you stated:

I see following,

VendorID8086
    SubVendorID8086
    DeviceID0082

This device was the wireless card and we need the wired card, which is the Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit.

I have no idea why it was working and when you undid the checks for those drivers it stopped. That is odd as it should not work at all :)
    Martin Carnegie
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2011-06-24T07:47:40Z  
    This still does not look right. The place you have the checks should also have the square filled in with the green background like the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE". Also you do not need to check the wireless card as this cannot be used for deploying an OS anyway.

I think the driver you need is: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&deviceid=11814&libid=5&releaseid=R291627&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LAT_E6320&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&catid=5&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

That driver contains the Win7 x32 drivers which is what you need for deploying either 32 or 64 bit clone images to targets or 32 bit unattended installs. These are the ones you create as software modules then bind to the 32 bit deployment engine. If you are doing unattended installs of a 64 bit OS, then you would have to create software modules for the 64 bit Windows 7 drivers and then bind them to the 64 bit deployment engine.

When you import the driver, I would see if you could just create a module per OS or at least clean out the OSs you do no need.

BTW, earlier you stated:

I see following,

VendorID8086
    SubVendorID8086
    DeviceID0082

This device was the wireless card and we need the wired card, which is the Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit.

I have no idea why it was working and when you undid the checks for those drivers it stopped. That is odd as it should not work at all :)
    Martin Carnegie
    Hi,

thanks again for the support. At the moment i know what the procedure is and i can deploy the new systems.
    Hopefully i find out why i keep getting the strange software binding issue sinds i have the exact thing with a Dell Optiplex 990 with a intel NIC.

Regards,

Ron