• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-06-17T14:57:20Z by SystemAdmin
infyRavi
infyRavi
14 Posts

Pinned topic Third party JPA 2.0 implementor support on WAS 7.X

‏2011-06-17T06:46:34Z |
Hi All,
We want to use Hibernate 3.6.0 which provides JPA 2.0 implementation and we want to replace the default JPA implementation provided by WAS 7.x.
Few questions here
1) Will WAS 7.X support Hibernate 3.6.0 JPA 2.0 implementation.
2) How can I replace the default JPA implementation provided by WAS to Hibernate one.?

Thanks
Ravi
Updated on 2011-06-17T14:57:20Z at 2011-06-17T14:57:20Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    45 Posts

Re: Third party JPA 2.0 implementor support on WAS 7.X

‏2011-06-17T13:36:05Z  
    Hi Ravi,

1. WebSphere does not provide support for Hibernate itself. We do support the ability to plug in a third party JPA provider (like Hibernate), but we don't support the Hibernate code itself.

2. To use a third party JPA provider start with the steps in the InfoCenter. If you run into problems or have questions feel free to post them here.

The only caveat is that if you want to use a JPA 2.0 compliant provider you must have the OSGi and JPA 2.0 Feature pack installed, and your profile must be augmented to use it.

Hope this helps,
    -mike
  • infyRavi
    infyRavi
    14 Posts

‏2011-06-17T13:46:29Z  
    Thanks Mike.
    Yes we want to use Hibernate as third party JPA provider for our application.
    You mentioned that we need to have OSGI and some feature pack to be installed.
    Is it possible that I can get some link which talks about these 2 things in detail , following which I should be able to accomplish this task.

Regards
    Ravi
  • infyRavi
    infyRavi
    14 Posts

‏2011-06-17T13:48:14Z  
    Hi Ravi,

1. WebSphere does not provide support for Hibernate itself. We do support the ability to plug in a third party JPA provider (like Hibernate), but we don't support the Hibernate code itself.

2. To use a third party JPA provider start with the steps in the InfoCenter. If you run into problems or have questions feel free to post them here.

The only caveat is that if you want to use a JPA 2.0 compliant provider you must have the OSGi and JPA 2.0 Feature pack installed, and your profile must be augmented to use it.

Hope this helps,
    -mike
    If we do the above 2 steps then will we able to use Hibernate JPA 2.0 compliant implementation on WAS 7.x without any issues.

Thanks
    Ravi
  • sutter
    sutter
    94 Posts

‏2011-06-17T13:56:54Z  
    Hi Ravi,

Hope this helps,
    -mike
    You might also care to check out this pdf [1], which provides some good information on using an alternate JPA provider. As Mike pointed out, the use of an alternate JPA 2.0 provider needs either the OSGi/JPA Feature Pack for WebSphere v7, or the newly announced WebSphere v8.

Good luck,
    Kevin

[1] https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/form/anonymous/api/library/53181ccd-bcd4-431f-b968-0b5f6d46d652/document/192a432b-28bb-4080-b037-345e5d83da76/attachment/61e74f67-1d60-4120-ba25-ad7264c9f4f6/media/AlternateJPAProviders_TestReport.pdf

Kevin Sutter, JPA Architect, IBM WebSphere
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    45 Posts

‏2011-06-17T14:57:20Z  
    • infyRavi
    • ‏2011-06-17T13:46:29Z
    Thanks Mike.
    Yes we want to use Hibernate as third party JPA provider for our application.
    You mentioned that we need to have OSGI and some feature pack to be installed.
    Is it possible that I can get some link which talks about these 2 things in detail , following which I should be able to accomplish this task.

Regards
    Ravi
    Hi Ravi,

The best sources for further reading I know of are the article Kevin posted and the infocenter link from my first response.

I hesitate to promise that you'll run into no problems, since WebSphere doesn't support Hibernate code. That said, once everything is installed you'll be able to use Hibernate in your app.

Best Regards
    -mike